AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.9.1 Driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Elrion93, Sep 13, 2018.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah that's me not being too clear I think as that's the info AMD provides and what the driver Vulkan component supports. You get the newer runtime files and what the fixes in these updates contain but the driver only uses up to what version of the SDK they worked with and thus newer extensions are unavailable. :)
    (So there's what the driver reports and then the version info for the .dll files also being listed.)

So far I'm pretty certain only Strange Brigade uses Vulkan 1.1 though and it's probably running on 1.1.77 too or a earlier version so it's not too important but emulators or other applications might be running against newer SDK versions of Vulkan and if so and if they use any of the added features these might not be entirely available on AMD's drivers until they get around to updating them.

I don't think AMD has any current public driver for newer Vulkan runtimes either unlike NVIDIA but they do periodically update their drivers against newer SDK's of the API and little by little support is expanded for these added or changed features. :)
    (Going by the DXVK wrapper project it looks like 1.1.84 has some interesting enhancements though it doesn't really say much about the Windows AMD display drivers or when these might be updated and the Linux ones are developed separately.)

Rootax likes this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Still on 18.5.1.
    I don't update every driver that is released. If I am running good on a particular driver, I stay on it. Sometimes updating all the time causes more problems than it fixes. Sure if issues are there, I would try to find a better driver.

Space Control looks interesting to me, so I will give these a go.
    The the characters are a bit too cartoonish though sadly.

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Code:
    Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off.
    This was driving me crazy. Fixed now.

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

5. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Only took them 7 MONTHS, Feb 17th was last driver that did not cause this!
    Do a little dance, make a little noise... get down tonight! :cool:

6. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    No right click Radeon settings :(

7. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    I get Radeon settings when right clicking the desktop and the systray icon by the clock. both open as well.

Use driver cleaner and reinstall your drivers passenger

passenger likes this.
  8. Awesome Donkey

Awesome Donkey Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    Staying with 18.5.1 here, as any drivers past those, including 18.9.1, give performance/lag issues in DX9 games like Left 4 Dead 2. No such issues with 18.5.1 which is strange. I wonder if it could be related to FreeSync.

9. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Just reinstalled over the newly installed and it works now. On the other hand osd doesn’t work well in every game, so I must use AMD link app or other sw.

But the suff that rally bugs me is Enhanced sync which at first worked great, now is stuttery mess, guess it’s time for FreeSync monitor, pay more to get more

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Enjoy :cool:

Caenyss likes this.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    If I'm not mistaken:
    -Horizon 4 is released on Oct 2
    -COD BO 4 is released on Oct 12

Horizon 4 offered a demo which was released on September 12th
    While BO 4 offered a Beta which was released on September 14th

Horizon 4 performance is looking pretty decent.

14. blppt

blppt Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 Watercooled
    Just as a note for Threadripper users (and possibly X299/Intel users, dunno) -- this driver, and 18.8.2 as well, only installs the "Pci Bus" (PCI-E) filter driver on ONE of the TWO entries previously labeled "PCI Express Root Complex" in Device Manager.

For most people, on regular Ryzen and Mainstream Intel chipsets, this is not a problem since they only have 1 entry to begin with, but X399 and X299 (Intel) have two, and mixing the two in my brief experience causes weird issues like stuttering in places until you install the filter driver on the other "PCI Express Root Complex" (changing it to "Pci Bus) in Device Manager.

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Referring to Assetto Corsa? Good luck with that... devs don't give a crap about AMD GPUs only providing basic support (I'm very salty about it) AMD can only optimise so far....

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    What makes you say that? Just because they teamed up with Nvidia? They do care about us! Heck they've gone on air saying just that.

From my understanding it all comes down to AMD implementing (as in: "emulating" = lower fps) and adding support for Nvidia technologies.

17. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Anything using PhysX, for the AMD gpu owner means it'll occur on CPU (PhysX instructions being executed on the CPU) which as you can imagine, is inherently slower (it's not emulated) and other gameworks features often just use rendering techniques that are designed to run on nVidia hardware (and the tin foil hat, designed to run slowly on AMD hardware), compound that with UE4 being developed with nVidia anyway.

I'm sifting through the Assetto Corsa forums now to find the post where it was stated that support for AMD GPUs would only extend to "just working" (and this was before RTX announcements) - there isn't really anything AMD can do to optimise for though without impacting image quality (other than tidying up API overhead).

Perhaps though like you say with the announcement they made on air, they've retracted the previous statements (which might explain why I can't find the thread).

Cross your fingers but don't hold out any hope - it's really upto Kunos to ensure it'll run well (especially so if it's going to use DX12 or Vulkan) but I will say at least their support is looking to be better than for example Slightly Mad Studios and Project Cars (whom Ian Bell is an absolute... well he's a horrible man and the devs working under him apparently aren't treated well) so it'll look to be a better game for it in comparison.

Edit: I can't find the thread or any mention of support for AMD being sidelined anywhere... so take my post with a large grain of salt and me being cynical.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    RzrTrek likes this.
  18. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @Only Intruder This seems like P.Cars launch all over again!
    I'm not sure how many times it needs to be said, that just because the game makes use of PhysX doesn't mean that the game will run it on the GPU.
    P.Cars was the exact same story, I had to F****** record a damn video with my laptop just to show off that even forcing PhysX to the GPU the game wasn't using it on the GPU but instead on the CPU, whatever you would be using, nvidia, intel, amd or a potato.
    PhysX just runs on the GPU, if the devs are using the Advanced PhysX package, and those are the deformative cloth, the persistent particles that stays on the scenario for minutes and pretty much nothing more than that.

Same goes for this game.
    As for the performance, after so many years of UE4, it's no secret that Epic's engine runs best on nvidia thanks to a big parternship that exist for decades between Tim Sweeney and Jensen, a lot of nvidia technologies are embedded into UE4 that grants better peroformance to nvidia.
    This is nothing comparing to the old days, people are failing to remember the 2 exclusive maps from UT3 that only worked for nvidia Users with PhysX, all the rest of the people weren't allowed to play those 2 maps, funny thing is, we pay for a game and we aren't allowed to play 1/5 of the maps LOL.

As for SMS P.Cars release, devs never liked AMD, there was a big war between both AMD and SMS devs during the development, that escalated to a point that even AMD said they weren't welcome on the dev's compound, optimization was a crap on AMD side, but with time and with each update to the game, the game started to yield more and more performance on the AMD side, suggesting that they start to optimize for it after release, this got a to a point that P.Cars 2 runs just fine on both brands, even P.Cars 1 runs great on AMD now, still gets advantage to nvidia, but far are the days where the advantage was huge.

Cheers...

AlleyViper and RzrTrek like this.
  19. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Truder likes this.
  20. philiptibbs

philiptibbs Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil Golden
    I did a clean install and everything is GTG !!