AMD may stop with 32-bit support Radeon Software

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You'll be hard pressed to find someone with a 32-bit Windows 10 or 7 install these days, but half a percent of our users still downloads 32-bit drivers. Much like NVIDIA did, it's the end of an era ...

AMD may stop with 32-bit support Radeon Software

2. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    That’s a good thing as I honestly can’t see why you still need 32bit. Support for 32bit applications is basically none existing in today’s life.

3. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    im ok with this. i would be interested whats the marketshare for 32bit windows these days. it cant be that much.

4. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    Industry, some still use 16bit application. My two old car-diagnostic notebooks run on Win7 32bit, on is from 2005 and the other on is from 2009

Dimitrios1983 likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    AMD does not support Ryzen APUs on 32bit OS for long time. There's reason for it. When BIOS works properly, you can allocate up to 16GB from your RAM just for iGPU.

6. Viper666

Viper666 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 460 2GB
    But they do not require any new driver updates, they will run perfectly with the legacy drivers so further support for 32 bit is unneeded.

7. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Same here. I run HP TUNERS software on my modded 1999 LS1 Camaro SS. I use AIRPLANE mode on WINDOWS 10 32-bit because when it tries to install updates it messes up my $hit.

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Not a day too soon...

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I suggest running windows 7 for dealer software considering it probably was designed for XP in the beginning.

I have star(mercedes software) to do diagnostics, firmware updates, etc, and it just doesn't work right all the time on windows 10 compared to older OS

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Yep, the pc's at my work still use old industry software that is barely working on 32 bit. Several pc's running 32-bit windows 7 with radeon GPU's for quad monitors for Delta V process software.

11. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    "I use hardware and software from long ago and will not be upgrading or updating anything because I already have the functionality I want"

also same person

"I demand 32bit support for the hardware and software I will not be buying or using"

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    32-bit support is needed for those businesses that are running legacy 16-bit applications. If they need to replace the hardware on such machines then they need driver/software support for that hardware.

13. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Should've done it at the start of the year..

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I just assumed they stopped supporting it years ago...
    Those 16 bit programs can be accurately emulated by a potato at this point.

15. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Or whole industry should have done this a decade ago. Athlon64 is 2003 which is 15 years ago and windows xp x64 is 2005 which is 13 years ago. There was literally no reason to stagnate on x32 software since very long time. I remember how long afterburner didn't have support for x64 games which was unreasonable as many people needed it at least for crysis which had x64 executable since release day (there was few games with x64 already on market) and many people were benching it and they do up today.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    These apps are often mission-critical, and companies demand compatibility, which only Windows 32-bit offers. My company also uses legacy apps and technology and prioritizes new functionality over updating older apps, which is considered unnecessary (if they work, then why fix it?). These apps are also often times black boxes - nobody knows how they work and what would be needed to update them, and even if you do there is no telling what would happen if you recompiled using 32-bits (will all the data line up in the app and in the database? What assumptions were built into the original design, which was based on 16-bits?). Rather than updating and potentially putting the business at risk, most businesses prefer to keep things as they are and demand vendors like MS offer the ability to keep using these apps the way they are - thus, we still have 32-bit Windows.

If you've ever been to a bank then you'd know this - I went in for a mortgage a few years ago and they were still using ASCII green screens. These apps are ancient and yet these businesses depend on them and don't want to risk updating them. Nobody wants to risk millions of dollars (or the entire company) for reasons of compatibility - they'd rather just pay MS for a 32-bit version that will keep things as they are.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Biały Wilk likes this.
  17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I actually thought they had stopped that long ago--when they ended support for OSes earlier than Vista x64...It's time.

rl66 likes this.
  18. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    To have been worked some years ago in industry i can tell that most of the OSes used aren't windows and so this anouncement from AMD is pointless... (only the latest military carrier from her majesty are based on Windows XP lol)...

And to have a laptop for my car that have multi-brand and odb diagnostic and specific program for my race car injection... most of the win32 work perfectly on windows 64, and you might even gain in speed (at least for the race car cartografic upload/download in my case).

19. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Tell this to CORSAIR, and all the software they put out.... Link/iCue, ect.....

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What are you talking about? The vast majority of existing games are 32-bit. I have 600 games on Steam, 98% of them are 32-bit.

32-bit applications are fully supported and will stay supported for a long time to come.