YouTube is testing usage of AV1 codec for videos

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Does anyone know if AV1 supported by current generations of GPUs like VP9?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Should be, you can right click on a video on Youtube and select the "Stats for nerds." option and it should show the current encoder and stats for video playback and how it's running. Different browsers have varying support for whatever Google is throwing into Chrome and on to the Youtube website at a moments notice though but it's improving. GPU hardware video decoding support could also vary a bit depending on max resolution supported and formats like h265 but I believe AMD and NVIDIA's current-gen lineup covers most of it. :)

EDIT: Well now I've been quite thoroughly corrected then in how support for this is currently doing for hardware acceleration, good to know how it is even if it's not as supported as I was expecting. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    airbud7, Embra and Fox2232 like this.
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    No GPU right now has any official support for AV1. Hopefully, shader decoding or hybrid will be viable and supported by AMD, Nvidia (hybrid HEVC for example is supported on Kepler, though not VP9) and Intel.
    Another option could be if an OpenCL decoder is viable.

6. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    I always wondered why not just do a generic OpenCL decoder. Obviously it would be less efficient than specific HW decoding, but it would open the way for better support for specification revisions, new specifications (like this AV1), and would allow any OpenCL capable HW to use it (and the list of OpenCL capable HW isn't small).

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    That chart is showing codec generations but doesn't it make it seem like its showing they are percent better than each generation? Got to love lying with charts.

8. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    7900XTX
    Am i missing something? 480p? This is experiemental, sure, but 480p? I don´t even use such resonlution on my phone.

I´m all in for lower bandwith with greater resolution, but, 480p? I can´t get my head around this.:confused:

9. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Gave it a try using Firefox Nightly and even 480p lagged occasionally, on a Phenom II X6.

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's all meaningless really when you think about it.

Their job is to do the compression and make it so, regardless of the device, the video will stream - if not, they will not get viewership/attainment and advertisers will run away.

Keep on uploading uncompressed video for best quality, and let them sort out the compression - that's the way it has always been and always will be.

11. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    They already do this on most devices. If the device plays this or that format better, it uses it (webm vs mp4 in general).

Loobyluggs likes this.
  12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    How about updating their website so it doesn't run like poo on Firefox and Edge? Only reason it works in Chrome is because Chrome still uses an outdated API.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Exactly, nothing will change. There is nothing we have to do when uploading other than to put the highest quality (uncompressed) content we can.