Shadow of the Tomb raider

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Don't think that many people would have sli regardless, as it is rather expensive. But yeah, the games i like nearly all have near perfect sli scaling ;)

But what i find makes the biggest difference for performance i ambient occlusion and AA :)

Passus likes this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    True but it's cheaper than a 2080Ti (if you've already go one 1080Ti) :)

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Much cheaper, and much bigger performance increase ;P

BangTail and Passus like this.
  4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's a serious question. How can you use different games to benchmark loading time impact of Denuvo?

For example, here I'm going to use different games to benchmark the loading time impact of Windows 10. Fallout 4 loads in 17 seconds in Windows 7. Witcher 3 loads in 12 seconds in Windows 10. That means Windows 10 loads games faster.

Or: Doom 4 runs at 150FPS in Windows 7. Deus Ex MD runs at 72FPS in Windows 10. That means Windows 10 is much slower for gaming.

That is what you did here.

5. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Kind of missed the point...
    I was saying that Denuvo does NOT cause games to take longer to load when they start.

Pointing out that DOOM takes longer to load up now, since Denuvo was removed. And saying that other games that use Denuvo, such as Wolf 2, MGSV, PREY... RE7... all load up very quickly without issue.
    I didn't think I would have to spell it out.
    BUT... saying that if a game takes a long time to load, it's not Denuvo, it's the game. The engine. How the devs handled the game itself.
    Same with if a game is buggy at release, it's not Denuvo, it's the development of the project.

IF... Denuvo actually caused games to take longer to load, there would be a correlation between multiple titles to support such a statement. But, there's not...all games that use Denuvo run the gamut of various loading times. From insanely quick, to frustratingly slow.
    Sorry, but I figured it was obvious and I would not need to clarify.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    By using an invalid testing methodology. Also, the evidence so far seems to suggest it does affect loading times.

That seems to be an exception. I'm not saying it's the exception that proves the rule, but it could be an exception.

How do you know they wouldn't load faster without Denuvo?

How do you know they wouldn't load faster without Denuvo?

Nobody said Denuvo causes in-game bugs.

Which is something the evidence actually seems to suggest.

The tests showed that the Denuvo versions of the games loaded slower.

7. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    @Damien_Azreal is saying DOOM without Denuvo takes longer to load than with Denuvo, whereas all other titles with Denuvo loads relatively fast. He is pointing out the inconsistency in terms of loading time if we go by the premise that Denuvo causes performance issues and a safer assumption would be that the engine is to blame before we attack the DRM.

@RealNC is pointing out that to test whether Denuvo has any impact on performance in any way, shape or form - you need the same games with and without Denuvo so you can test them with Denuvo on and off. Otherwise it wouldn't be 'benchmarking'. Just like in science, the dependent variable is the performance, the independent variable is Denuvo, the controlled variables are the games. You need all three for a proper 'benchmark'.

On the plus side, game is good. :)

8. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Oh absolutely, I wasn't expecting 4k at 60, was just wishful thinking. And the settings seem to do very little for performance except for AA and resolution. And the difference between taa and smaatx2 is almost nothing on my system.

9. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I will give it a shot after work!

I'll test it tonight after work. I am hoping for another patch soon, there are some wonky bugs atm.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  10. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Why can't I see this on steam? I can't see a steam page for this game.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Fair enough :)

But there is like a 10% performance difference between hbao and btao - might be worth taking, if you need the performance.

13. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    The game is delayed. Denuvo has locked everyone out even steam.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  15. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

16. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Might sound silly, but have you tried restarting Steam?
    It shows up perfectly fine for me. Tried my wife's PC... shows there as well.

17. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I know but.... I want to have my cake and eat it too! Having said that, I would even go to medium just to play at 60 fps for this game, the HDR is absolutely fantastic, I've never seen anything like it. Just running the benchmark blew me away and running it again on my ultrawide was like going back to a black and white screen. Man, I can't wait for affordable HDR10 ultrawide monitors.

Anyways, I'll run some tests when I get home in the next hour or so.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  19. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Well, I played with all medium or "normal" settings and turned hbao+ down to btao and I gained....6 fps at 4k. So not exactly a huge difference. I actually found that the 30 fps/30hz setting is suprisingly smooth, guess I will just use that until custom resolutions dont turn my screen black.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Back in the day I used to do just that :) I bought one high-end card and when the next generation came out I bought another one for a lower price (since nVidia used to lower prices on old generations, unlike today). When there was another generation I sold both my cards and bought the high-end one for that generation.

Wait a second, are you telling me that even with a 1080Ti you play on Medium preset at 4K? To me it sounds like 4K/60fps is possible at Ultra settings without AA and maybe a few things toned down?

Edit : I saw @kx11 benchmark but I personally would lower Shadows to Ultra and disable Pure Hair. That should do the trick?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018