The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    really RTX may be new tech but its really cool tech and i wont be able to view that tech with amd thus my decision to buy RTX2080 on release. My 980 is really struggling in new games and i want ray tracing sooo... yeah. Also if the card flops entirely i probably wont buy it. The price has to be competitive with current cards and not based entirely on RTX's new tech.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Rockefeller over here.

Jericho2013 and warlord like this.
  3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think he was referring to enthusiasts in general - and I agree with him. Although we complain about the price hikes, the truth is that we enthusiasts enabled it by buying their products. Just like with the Titan series, enthusiasts seem to have accepted the Turing price hike and pre-ordered. Can't exactly blame Nvidia for raising prices if we, their customers, keep buying their products.

4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Here we go again with you calling other people's purchasing decisions into question simply because you are angry with Nvidia for whatever reason :p

Jericho2013 likes this.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What confuses me is that I see so many people in here complaining about the price, yet they've consistently bought 2 of the top end cards in previous generations knowing damn well that SLI is broken more than it works.

fantaskarsef and BangTail like this.
  6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, seems like it's all good until the cost becomes prohibitive :rolleyes:

It's all subjective anyway, there are plenty of people who will tell you that spending $699 on a GPU is madness let alone $1200.

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Good luck with your money guys and gals, I do not have any obligation to pay for Jensen Huang's leather jackets wardrobe. As soon as you realize that your ignorance make people like him smiling all day, then humanity has a hope. For now, there is no hope.

Rich brats or bored adults destroy the industry.

Buying these enthusiast tier technological products either hardware or mobile phones you kill average gamer's experience. Buying an exotic car means nothing to average driver. Egoism and narcissism kills humanity. Nuff said. I will not be a partner in crime.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    If that was directed at my, I use my GPUs for more than one purpose (gaming, as well as computing). I've also deliberately limited myself to the 1080 Ti as I absolutely refuse to pay for a Titan.

Frankly, I have no idea when $1200 for a GPU became an acceptable thing but it needs to stop now. At this rate, we'll have people pre-ordering a RTX 3080 Ti for $1999 and thinking it's perfectly normal. I've even read comments on Reddit about how being a PC enthusiast is relatively cheap compared to other hobbies and $1200 is not a big deal (basically, people who have a vested interest who are trying to convince others to just buy - Tom's Hardware, is that you? ;)). Even as an Nvidia investor, I absolutely despise these kinds of price hikes and refuse to buy into them - I feel I'd be doing my fellow gamers and enthusiasts a disservice.

9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    This.

If I may add something to all these thoughts. I am not a shareholder and perhaps I have not authority to state a proper opinion but the hell with it.

Why game industry aka software wise do not raise pricing to alleviate the costs?

If we follow Nvidia's shady profitable tactics, games with the best fluidity, performance or graphical details/quality should be far more expensive than the average ones. So, what's next? 200$ game for those who can buy a single gpu of 2000$. I do not like where this is going.

10. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I honestly stopped reading at this.

11. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I was going to pre order a 2080ti but the asking price at over 2 grand in Australia is absolutely ridiculous. I picked up a 1080ti the other day 2nd hand for $550 to replace my Vega 56 and if i can get another in that price range to go in the other PC ill be super happy. I hate this trend of releasing new products that are 25% faster but charging 25% more than previous gen for that extra performance. If it continues like this a car will be cheaper than a high end consumer graphics card within a few years

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    In the case of 1080Ti to 2080Ti, the difference is 70%. That's not normal.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yep, thats my feeling too.
    They could have the cards already but be forbidden to say so to prevent easier leakage of info.
    NDA pfft.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think the problem is not just the price, but that Nvidia could shaft buyers (those hoping to keep their cards long term) by bringing out a much improved 7nm version in less than a year. Especially with Turings weak RT performance which may cast a negative cloud over the RTX series which could hurt sales and brand perception.

Mufflore, BangTail and cryohellinc like this.
  15. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    you must not have kids and have an insane amount of money to burn. Can you get me a job?

seriously, we dont even KNOW how nvlink potentially functions. It could be another sli shitshow. I mean, buying 1 is one thing.... even though I wont be.

buying 2 - without anything to go on (and trust me ive been digging for that very thing, i used to run 4 titans) is absolutely nuts.

may the "return?" on your gamble be worth it!

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Oh boy..Oh boy..

NVIDIA GTC Japan:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hulk12, BangTail and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    They were talking about NVlink (in relation to gaming) on 2.5 Geeks the other day, Petersen didn't sell it imho.

Sounds like it might be something interesting down the road but not at launch.

(37:55 if the link fucks up).

18. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    What I'm looking at exactly, there's no numbers here and they ask us to guess how fast RTX cards will be? That's so funny :p.

Dragam1337 and Netherwind like this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Such pictures are so pointless :D

warlord and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  20. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    They do. I remember buying PC games for $29.99 brand new. Then once consoles came around their games were always priced at $49.99. PC games slowly creeped their way up to that price. Then the Xbox 360 and PS3 came out and priced their games at $59.99. PC games again slowly creeped their way up to the same.

pharma and warlord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.