NVIDIA: GeForce 1000 Series To Sell into 2019 - likely no RTX for Lower End Cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Smells like "excess" inventory and lack of competition in the market...Keep paying full price for 3 year old tech!

3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    It doesn't sound like an absolute definite that all Pascal cards will be selling into Q1 2019, because he uses the word "probably" in this following quote: "We will be selling probably for the holiday season, both our Turing and our Pascal overall architecture.". So it sounds like it might just be dependant on what Pascal stock is left over & how long that existing Pascal stock lasts. Although it does imply that this will be the likely scenario. For those deciding to buy Pascal, might make sense to buy sooner rather than later before stocks run out, provided you think prices for Pascal are at their lowest right now! I would guesstimate that Pascal prices will be at their lowest once the Turing cards have been launched from NVidia & also AIB partners, provided there is still sufficient Pascal supply at this point.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    This.

tunejunky likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Supply and demand. No buyers => prices drop or nV goes out of business while keeping prices high.
    Don't blame bad guy for doing damage when "victims" ask him to do harm.

6. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    "Actually it is rumored that they likely do not get Raytracing cores, and actually might remain in the GTX line of naming. It could also mean it might take a while before cards like 2060 would hit the market."

It looks like No-vidia is in a deep sh**. That is, the shelves are still full of (overpriced) cards and the new process is doubtful in terms of a yield and overall quality. Greediness takes it's toll.
    And most certainly (not just likely) they do not get my money in foreseeable future. Until then, they will offer "raytracing cores" for free, just to sell any kind of cards.

7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I'm quite sure Colette is a woman.

Robbo9999 and Fox2232 like this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Considering 2070 will cost more than 1080, they kind of have the lower range covered for the time being even without releasing anything new. At least Nvidia didn't do AMDs and rebrand old Pascals to cover the mainstream and entry levels of the 2000 series.

9. Greywolf_Steel

Greywolf_Steel Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    Ah okay so my 1060 is still going to be worth more than i paid for it on ebay, I am hoping AMD step up for the next series of cards.

10. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I still don't understand why some are peed off with Nvidia with regards to this. Pascal cards still offer great performance in all the latest games and this won't change until next gen consoles arrive.

Sure the 2000 series are expensive but it's clear that this range is a test bed for the new architecture and prep for 7nm.

If you don't want to be an early adopter, enjoy Pascal performance and wait for the 7nm gen which will bring RTX to the mainstream at more affordable prices.

I imagine the 7nm range will see similar gains as we saw with Kepler < Maxwell.

mbk1969 likes this.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The 1080 ti's will run out first, since far less manufactured than the more mainstream 1070s and 1080s. I think the overstock is mainly with the 1070s. The 1080ti's have been between $630-650 a few weeks ago but have now gone back up in price ($50-100), which I think reflects the supply situation of that card.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    NVIDIA: GeForce 1000 Series To Sell into 2019 - likely no RTX for Lower End Turing Cards

13. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Oh lordy, I bet you were part of the focus group for BF V who thought it was a good idea to include more woman & disabled people rather than 'focussing' on making a better overall game with decent atmosphere and an ability to turn off the blurry TAA mess! Yes, yes, it's all your fault! ;-) Joke by the way, hadn't noticed she was a women, I am guilty of paying no attention to the name and instead assuming that vice president and chief financial officers sound like men!

14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    unfortunately it's not so simple. Nvidia has gotten fat off of the auto, deep learning/AI, and big data industries.
    there aren't enough AIB sales to actually force them into a market based price correction.
    otherwise i agree with you.

15. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Yet

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The RTX cards seem more and more like a stopgap until Nvidia can move to the next node...

tunejunky, Venix, HandR and 1 other person like this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    There is no doupt in my mind this and at least the next generation nvidia's rtx will be what is hairworks now the perfomance tax is way too high and the lack of support in a wider range other than high end and more ....most likely 2xxx cards will never use it other than few games and benches

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    As I expected, 20-series customers are guinea pigs for RTX. Without mainstream support, there's little incentive for devs to prioritize ray-tracing so it will be limited to a small handful of games, and these games are what RTX customers will be playing (if you paid for a RTX card you might as well preorder these games ;)).

In many ways, RTX customers are doing a service, paying the massive premium for these cards so that they can test RTX and make it ready for the rest of us. As I said before in other threads, the only reason you should be buying a 20-series card is for RTX.

It's been mentioned before how costly these chips are to produce, and how much RTX impacts performance (1080p/60 in Tomb Raider and Metro Exodus on a 2080 Ti, even dipping into the 30s). Even with optimizations, a RTX 2060 might only be able to do 720p with RTX on, which makes it an instant dud. Mainstream RTX might only be possible when they go 7nm - until then, the enthusiast-level 20-series can test the waters.

19. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    There migh never be an RTX 2060 for that express reason. With the current example games, 2070 could already be too weak to be of any use. Though I'm sure in some future games the devs might use raytracing very, very sparingly, so that 2080 Ti might still handle it in higher resolutions and 2070 might be able to deal with it in 1080p, with the basic 2080 somewhere between.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I will keep rocking my single GTX1080Ti OCed at 2126/5000Mhz is no slouch at 4K , i most likely wait until Next nvidia Gen or AMD Navi.