New Trend upcoming? Gaming Desks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 7, 2018.

1. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I'm into glass, picked up a new desk last year, got £100 off and my folks chipped in as they where fed up looking at my old chipboard box with all my masterful repairs. :cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

386SX and -Tj- like this.
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I bit on the small side isn't it?
    I think most office desks from Ikea look better than this.

386SX likes this.
  3. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    This comes to mind:

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I already have a gaming desk, it's called a desk I purchased from Officeworks.... it even has a space for the computer to sit, it's amazing.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I bought my desk at a .... wait for it.....

FURNITURE SHOP

6. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Those gaming desks are horrible. I'll bet they're not even ray-traced.

I'm just going to assume that there is a 1000W Seasonic, an X299, a 360mm rad, and a pair of Titan Xps zip-tied to the back of that monitor.

Hopefully...

HandR likes this.
  7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Nope and just like with the 3d, vr, rgb and curved monitor trends, I'm not falling for it either.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  8. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    I agree wholeheartedly, though it doesn't have to be anything complicated. I used to have a desk that was little more than a bunch of 2x4s on a pair of sawhorses.
    Current desk is a custom made steel frame with a chipboard top and a cradle for my pc.
    Total cost <€100 for all materials.
    Maybe around the same for tools but I already had them or access to them.
    It won't win any rig of the month competitions but I can dance a jig on top of it and collapse it for transport.
    [​IMG]

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Ha ha... just add 'gaming' to a any product and rake in the money. Marketing depts have long recognized the principle 'no business ever went broke underestimating the gullibility of the consumer'.
    As stated, custom is the way to go when it comes to desks. Built according to your own needs not what some rip-off marketer says you need.

10. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    Proper gaming desk must have adjustable height and be adjusted to the chair height, and chair must be adjusted to the person who sits in it. Most ergonomic size of the desk and configuration of the chair must be calculated by using measured distances and angles between various human body points of the person who must sit in 100% ergonomical position, which supports best blood flow and redistributes body weight pressure evenly. This desk looks cool, but ergonomically it is completly unajustable garbage.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I like the ones where you can build your computer into the desk itself, but with a little research you can easily build one yourself without having to pay $1k for a few hundred bucks. Just be a little creative (think)

One dude I saw made a pac-man/arcade machine stripped the internals and made himself a bad-ass looking pc-desk with rgb and all the bling you can think of!

alanm likes this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Yeah, like the one in Guru rig of the month July, 2011, the L3p D3sk”.

[​IMG]

nz3777 and Yogi like this.
  13. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Which you can get much cheaper at IKEA :D

fantaskarsef and 386SX like this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wow that would be super annoying to me especial in the dark

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    On-off switch I presume.

16. not even half of my battle station equipment would fit on that thing......i could maybe set the receiver, center channel speaker and a few drink cups on it.

17. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX 7600
  18. token2k8

token2k8 Guest

GPU:
    980 SLI
    I know right. I thought these were going to be desk that doubled as a case like the one I have. This on the other hand is...... crazy and stupid.

19. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Yeah, without the "bling-bling" you can't name it GAMER or GAMING, they obviously don't know their stuff! It HAS to have RGB, otherwise it HAS to be sh!tty. ;)

For me IKEA did the job. I went to their "used furniture" department where they sell lightly used furniture for a small percentage of the original price. Got my table for 30 Euros which was 150 Euros before. Nothing special, no bling-bling, but massive, sturdy and with enough space to fit two screens, a lasterjet printer, keyboard, mouse and more. And oh my gosh, but believe it or not ... I am sitting in an IKEA chair right in front of my IKEA table and I never felt bad about not having a GAMING tag anywhere, nor RGB ...
    Yeah, I know, I am very hardcore. :D

StewieTech likes this.
  20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Only if it fell off the back of a truck.

There is a reason why hardwood tables/desks almost always cost well into the 4-digit price range. It's because there is a lot of work involved and typically lots of very expensive tools, finishes, a skilled craftsman. You should be able to get white oak for that price, but unless the person custom making it is doing the work for free, seems a bit far fetched. To do it yourself you'd need a table saw (or be very skilled with a circular saw), a planer, router for edge work and possibly joining (could also use dowels or biscuits or pocket screws), sander, and a lot of other assorted tools. You'll also need to seal the wood with dewaxed shellac, followed by a stain or glaze. Then finish it with a lacquer, poly, etc.

Now there is a very good chance that what you're calling 'oak' is actually something like Baltic Birch plywood with an oak veneer like 99% of desks and table tops on the market.

Pine? I can't think of anything else aside from MDF or non-baltic birch plywood that would be do-able with that budget.