Samsung and SK Hynix to slow down memory production

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Just when you think you are out they pull you right back in. Signals have been green for DRAM and NAND production for a while now, it was expected that prices would drop later in the year and into 201...

Samsung and SK Hynix to slow down memory production

2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    This is insane, but makes perfect sense since we all know the astronomical DRAM prices of late aren't normal. They were clearly designed by a cartel formed by the manufacturers, and no official anywhere in the world seems to have any power over them. Just like oil cartels work smoothly, backed by governments. But then again, if Samsung is the spokesman for these companies, nothing is surprising considering its dirty past.

These are sad times for PC builders.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Hopefully it means there something better to come.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Prices are expected to drop? Let's lower production to increase the demand / offer ratio and still keep up revenue.
    Such news are just a smack in the face to everybody with even a brink of a brain. I'm sick of reading it tbh. (Nothing against bringing the news as Hilbert does, it's just they're so blatanly lying it's disgusting.)

386SX, lmimmfn, Dragam1337 and 2 others like this.

5. valentyn0

valentyn0 Member Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800 XT
    for 16GB DDR4 i have to fork out US $ 250, 2 years ago it was half that!

Scum of the earth memory producers.

386SX and Silva like this.
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    ...due to record high prices. Oddly enough Samsung and Hynix are baffled and wonder why nobody wants to buy their overpriced products. Analysts facepalm and wonder when Samsung and Hynix will get their act together.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Which is funny since the pricing has more than doubled if I'm not mistaken so a -15% change in pricing is most welcome but no apparently it has to be avoided at all costs though I suppose the die shrinks to 7nm has been anything but smooth and the demand is also increasing both for personal computers and other systems using these NAND's as has demand for higher capacity memory which also drivers up costs and complicates construction.
    (And of course always going with a profit and showing increased economical growth which I guess even a small drop has investors and such panicked even if temporary, hah.)

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Who cares about investors. When they panic, you buy your own stock back. Easy.

9. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Damn...... I guess with prices to drop as expected they needed to make some sort of "shortage" somewhere to keep demand high along with them there prices.....

Just when I keep thinking a newer build is closer than it could be prices are going to get dumb once again.

Slapping tariffs on computer components coming to the states along with "cost and demand" being spoon fed to the masses is going to be a serious kick in the pants for us computer freaks!!

I live for this stuff.....and these prices as of late without having legal grounds to stand on are allowing these companies to price gouge the consumers more and more every day.

I having been waiting years for something to come and revolutionize the industry, but it seems as if the industry is fighting back at its consumers....

10. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    Well unlike Desk Star i dont live for this stuff and i'll be more than happy to go spend my money on other hobbies and thats exactly what im going to do. I refuse to pay these inflated prices for ram or gpu. My current pc should get me through another year or more and after that if things stay the same i wont be building another pc.

Yogi and sykozis like this.

11. soupsatchel

soupsatchel Guest

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Idiots. I just bought another 8GB of ddr3 (which was twice as expensive as the first 8) to make my system last a bit longer because DDR4 memory prices are crazy. The only way to protest at high prices is not buying so they're just going to penalise the whole industry.

12. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Of course there is a low demand you freaking assholes, the prices are sky-high.

I have been waiting more than a year now for an upgrade because of it, and I am certain that most cost conscious buyers would do the same.

Bring the prices down if you want demand you freaking pricks. I hope China is successful in their DRAM plans and screws these a**holes over. Yes that is right, cheering for China!

13. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    How to increase dram sales stop producing 4gb stick like its y2k windows xp x86 for $100.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    This is the sole reason I skipped Ryzen 1 and Ryzen +.
    Hopefully the price will have come down for Ryzen 2 as I need to upgrade soon...

Keitosha likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so there gona slow down production so they keep prices high? how is any different then price fixing?, Rate at which prices are increasing for PC parts and stay in PC world, this might be last PC i make, then they will complain no one is buying stuff, and increase thing more. people not buying cause it expensive and got more over the year as such the demand has droped yet the want to artificial keep the prices up by slow production just so people still dont want to buy cause the prices ? I bought 2x8 gb for 89$ when I made this pc about 2 years ago it anything but those prices now and i wont be buy more ram any time soon either , I dont under stand companies.

Just like I cant comprehend how some companies were rather lose 2500$ + a year from 2 accounts, then credit a month worth service that was not provided cause of there own screw up. were is logic is nitpicking over crediting 1 month no service and losing 2500+ year cause of it? the logic all these companies use is asinine to say the lest, the logic centers of spock would not be able comprehend such thing. he just say this not logical.

Silva likes this.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well I agree with you, except for the swipe at another user :p

Silva likes this.
  17. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
  18. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I felt dirty paying 220$ for my 16gb kit already when my ryzen 1600 only cost me 230$ ram costs and GPU costs up until recently stopped me from building many more computers than i have i"ve only bought 1 kit of ddr4 for myself and refuse to buy more till it drops

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I remeber once paying more from ram then the cpu, that was when I got i7 920 for around 200$ and I payed 250$ 6gb for 2gb x3 stick that was supposed to be compatible with my mb and cpu yet ran still went and did disappearing acts.

like I said I got my 16gb 2x8 set for 89$ and with prices they are now, it will be fat chance i buy more let lone bother to make new systems if they purposely trying to keep prices high.

20. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    You and me both I've been holding off a new build just because of the ram prices 16GB / $21.98 per GB

Silva likes this.