Benchmark analysis: Battlefield V Open Beta: PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this quick article, we'll check out some graphics cards with Battlefield V Open Beta. The performance is a mixed bag, the however is shaping up to be something really good. Read the article here...

Benchmark analysis: Battlefield V Open Beta: PC

2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Interesting the Vega performance seems lacking at 1080p & 1440p, yet take a jump at 4K.

Thank you HH! :)

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah I know, in its current state it's just so difficult to measure. I've placed many disclaimers in the article, and in fact, have been doubting to even post it as really numbers are all over the place depending on where you are on a map and indeed resolution. Better something than nothing I figured. Once the final game is out I can streamline a good path/scene to measure in, precisely.

These results, I've given it to be a preliminary and indicative classification, not a precise one.

airbud7 and Dragam1337 like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not really surprising. In one of dev. team talk they said something weird. That, they have bad performance from using many instantiated objects. And instead they try to combine as much geometry under one instance as possible.

That should not be problem, but it looks like their solution is choking AMD's driver or cards somehow and preventing them from fully utilizing brute part of architecture. That bottleneck is likely "removed" by higher resolution as there is more brute force work required than there is load on bottlenecking serial operation.

May be anything, but my guess would be geometry discard as they make those objects complex.

Deleted member 213629 and Embra like this.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I wonder what it is about Frostbite that makes DX12 such a mess. You'd think the team that requested/helped AMD build an entire low level API would be the best at DX12 and yet they are somehow one of the worst.

I guess we'll see when the final build ships and numbers updated but the performance/stuttering mentioned doesn't look any better than their previous DX12 implementations.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    fantaskarsef and Embra like this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't know about DX12 with the Frostbyte engine... I tend to wonder the same as you @Denial , especially as they are actively working together with Nvidia to implement RTX, which is DX12. But to what use if the DX12 adaption itself is lacking? Maybe they should first fix their DX12 "container" itself before thinking about RTX performance numbers, since those are crippled by, well being DX12 on Nvidia and Frostbyte in the first place.

7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    1080ti looking ok at 4k I am assuming that's stock not overclocked (only need 60fps)

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, Hilbert is usually not benchmarking with overclocked HW when comparing different CPUs/GPUs. Only doing OC potential for particular HW in review of that HW. So reader sees what he can expect.

That's why his 4K result matches that linked one. It is no longer bottlenecked by other things than brute GPU power.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    DX12 vs DX11, 4.2Ghz X99 processor vs 5Ghz Z370 processor.

Not to mention a quick google search shows multiple sites with results +- 15% of one another, on top of Hilbert literally saying the performance is all over the place in the game, on top of multiple user reports complaining about how the performance is a mixed bag..

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    lol, dx12 fails again...
    Where is promised boost?

BTW this RAM usage is kinda weird too, AMDs eats a lot less of it.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Both cards are AMD.

Failure of DX12 is on the developer, not the API.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Pretty typical - Vega's overall performance isn't that impressive but its performance proportionately scales up better than Nvidia's hardware.

DX12 and Vulkan reduce CPU and PCI-e overhead. If the GPUs are bottlenecked, there isn't going to be [much of] an improvement.

13. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Silly question, do DX12 and Raytracing go hand in hand ?

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is not even remotely a silly question.

Yes, I started DX12 testing with the knowledge in the back of my mind that DX-R, or DirectX Raytracing is an extension to the DX12 API.

fantaskarsef likes this.

15. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    Thanks for benchmarks. The game itself sucks really bad though.

Fox2232 and -Tj- like this.
  16. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    No, it's just you...

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I think by now it's safe to conclude that doing DX12 right is hard, and that everyone is still learning ins and outs.

Maddness likes this.
  18. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I don't think MS makes it any easier as well.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Or it's getting hard to fully utilize all those GCN cores - something we already saw with Fury