55 USD AMD Athlon Pro 200GE Shows Up in Slides

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A set of AMD slides has leaked yesterday, on it you can spot the AMD Athlon Pro 200GE, which is interesting as it would be a value proc competing with Intel's Celeron series. ...

55 USD AMD Athlon Pro 200GE Shows Up in Slides

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Good Enough for Calculators and network terminals. Paired with super cheap MB, entry level 2x4GB ram @2400MHz and SSD. Cheap and OK.
    Only thing such terminal misses is really cheap mITX board.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Wouldn't Raspberry Pi fit better?

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well this is far more than enough for a calculator or terminal. The average office computer in NA is probably equal or inferior to this thing, companies keep their garbage-ass already-obsolete-at-purchase computers around for over a decade as the standard since most average work tasks don't require much computing power at all.

The tldr is that I expect it to be used in office computers. 2C/4T at 3.2GHz, and 3 Vega SUs for $55, that sounds okay to me. Too bad memory prices are still absolutely retarded.

schmidtbag likes this.

5. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    Let's all have a moment of silence for the once mighty Athlon line of CPUs.
    How times change...

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Definitely a good entry point for am4. much better option than those bristolridge based athlons

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Calculator part was kind of joke. Terminal was meant as old school device which had just keyboard, mouse and monitor. Inputs were gathered via concentrators and server provided output for screen based on input.

Apparently CPU/APU like one here can do more, but one should not really expect miracles form any 2C/4T chip.
    Micro PC like based on chip here would run windows, therefore user "friendly" platform. Raspberry would not deliver UI friendly to user. Webapps would likely run there too, native application selection would be quite limited in both selection and performance.

8. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    It can be used as a basic media center. The onboard gpu should be able to decode 4k hevc nicely

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^ Companies love super cheap systems good enough for emails and Office. AMD can make a killing out of these kind of CPUs.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I agree 100%. This APU is plenty sufficient for basic desktop use like browsing the web, email, and writing papers. It could probably drive 2 1080p monitors, too.

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Looks like the new AM1/kabini replacements those things where fun to mess around with still got mine around tho I broke the pci-e off on accident now all it's good for is media storage

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm using one of the AM1 systems for a home server and it handles everything just fine, including streaming 1080p@60FPS to other devices. I keep the whole system passively cooled.
    Unless you're using a mini ITX board, you're not really losing out on that broken-off slot anyway. That x4 lanes is only available if no other slot is occupied, otherwise it turns into an x1 slot.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    probably gona be the cheapest and best apu to get at this point, great for business for accounting and stuff like that,

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    It's still an interesting find because i believe we are only a few years away from having APU's that can do 1080p @60hz/fps with high settings and no drops or lag issues.

Imagine an 8core part with much better IGP than is available now. I can just tell that such an APU will take over the market share of gamers eventually especially with the prices now.

AMD could make a future chip with 8 7nm cores and whatever their 7 nm gfx series will be called and maybe 8gigs of HBM3 @ 200-250 pounds and it'll be a real option for gaming on a budget.

15. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    unfortunately all i was using it for was a basic/backup machine for games with an old Nvidia quadro4000 lol kind of defeated the purpose of power savings but i only got it because everything went on clearence cpu and mobo where like 70$ cad its the 3650 ( i think ) would go from 1.4ghz to 1.65ghz

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I have a couple 2core/4thread i3 CPUs that give pretty solid performance for the price. If these come anywhere near that, AMD has a winner.

17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If this is unlocked... :D

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Unfortunately, this is a "Pro" product so it likely won't be (if it follows the pattern of the new AM4 Pro chips).

19. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    This looks like a great product for the majority of home users and the average office computer. I'm guessing it will compete with the 2c/4t Pentiums with a much better IGP, maybe even approaching i3 range on the CPU side? It's a steal at $55 either way.

20. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    The perfect CPU for home and light gaming on a tight budget. Can't wait for benchmarks and see how it goes against Celerons and Pentiums.