Battlefield 5: Graphics Options of the Open Beta + Quickie 4K Video

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    To fake it all like they currently have to is a LOT more work compared to using RT. It's a bit like turning a light bulb on vs having to account for the whole scene by hand.

2. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    Haha... are you the guy who also predicted the internet was a passing thing..? it's these clever comments that becomes a meme a few years later :D
    Don't take my comment as harsh though, just saying :)

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    "fake" baked solutions are far less demanding on the hardware though, so you can get more impressive graphics without RT.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Now that is ridiculous! I actually run BF1 without any AA at all. It's a fast paced game and because I'm always moving jaggies are not an issue, and like people have been saying I also don't want the blurring of the textures, plus running without AA gives you more fps - how could they not provide an option to turn it off, should be simple!

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I agree, but Taa low doesn't give any noticable blur, and barely consumes extra gpu power vs off :)

6. erho

erho Member

GPU:
    Pascal
    I played both alphas, it had the same AA options, TAA low and TAA high as open beta. I remember because I wanted to turn AA off to gain fps.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Artists haven't even been able to fake half the effects raytracing enabled, so how do you figure you can get more impressive graphics without it?

I'd also argue the time saved, when RT is just the only lighting implementation, frees up artists to actually go make the game look better instead of tweaking shadow capsules and sphere reflection captures for 500 hours.

You mean Microsoft?

Why would NVLink even make a difference with mGPU support? Tom from Nvidia already said it works exactly the same as SLI it just has a bunch of extra, unnecessary bandwidth for frame buffer sharing.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The point being NVlink cant be used in a game which desperately needs mGPU support for anyone with RTX cards wanting to do better than 1080p @ 60fps with RT on.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk when you said "so much for Nvidias NVlink" it made it sound like NVLink was supposed to be some promising upgrade over SLI. AFR probably just not good with various things going on in the engine running DX12 - which doesn't surprise me because DICE's DX12 implementation has been trash since BF4. I don't know how the team who helped invent low level API's with Mantle is so incapable at DX12.

As for 1080p@60 they already said they know multiple ways they get better performance than that. I would wait until the final builds to see what the performance of RTX is.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Imo 4k with baked lighting looks tons better than 1080p with raytraced lighting, even if the lighting and shadows are more accurate with RT.

And what about low end gpus ? If RT becomes the norm, users with low end gpus would be relegated to using 720p with low settings, as RT is vastly more demanding on the hardware than baked solutions.

RT might make it easier on the game developers, but it will suck for the average consumer, at least within the foreseeable future.

As for nvlink, the added bandwidth is not worthless... the primary reason that you cant use taa with sli atm is the limited bandwidth between the gpus, nvlink would solve that.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You can decouple the RT resolution from rasterization resolution, the budget for RT in the frame will then remain the same regardless to final resolution. With lower end GPU's you just shoot less rays and utilize denoise/blurring more - image quality slightly worse but sim accuracy still better than baked. The entire thing will be alleviated on 7nm when RT performance doubles - but you need to start somewhere. The DICE implementation isn't even doing concurrent RT with RAT and doesn't utilize tensor for denoising. It's going to take a few years for devs to even figure out the best way to implement it.. but again you have to start somewhere.

TAA uses previous frame data which is why it's not compatible with SLI. The previous frame is on the other GPU and in order to pull that data in, within budget for real time rendering, you need low latency on the interconnect. Bandwidth isn't the main issue it's latency and NVlink isn't going to solve that problem.

Edit: This is most games anyway - depends on the implementation.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I doubt that they would ever be able to reduce the load to the same level as people running with lowest settings, where you only have a few baked in shadows, and no real-time shadows /lighting, as alot of people need to do...

I don't believe that is correct, because in some games that use alot bandwidth, there taa works fine if you reduce the res 1080p, but increase the res to 4k, and you notice the much increased latency, despite still being at a locked 58 fps. Battlefront 2 is an example of this.

15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Here 4k with Vega 64 XTX LLE

-> YT
    www youtube com/watch?v=HA7Rha_Qjog&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Robbo9999 likes this.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't think anyone is advocating RT only games tomorrow or something. Obviously these companies are going to continue using baked solutions until it's appropriate to switch completely. I just don't think it's going to take as long as you'd think to start cutting various non-baked solutions out. On 7nm you can ship a 350mm2 GPU with the same RT performance as a 2080Ti and that's if they don't improve architecture level RT performance, denoising or implementation at all between generations.. and you know they will.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I think that raytracing is used on limited amount of pixels. Just those where there are reflections.
    So, using baked-in reflections made by RT at start of level (to have it dynamically changed for different daytime) as RT - Low Settings.

And then do RT on much smaller subset which would be dynamically moving objects + some little area around to fix distortion for RT medium settings.

And RT High would calculate reflections for entire reflective area.

18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I have no doubt that you are correct in regards to the tech development, but that is still some time away from majority of users having that tech - until that happens, the game developers will have to dedicate alot of resources developing both baked and RT solutions... which is why i would personally want them to wait with RT solutions until all platforms can use it, and use it at 4k 60 fps in regards to the top gpu on pc ;)

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I kinda did.

Although I was thinking about embree primarily and got side-tracked in my MSBlogs.

https://embree.github.io/

20. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I can't tolerate blur, I've always turned off any of these blurring type AA methods immediately after trying them: FXAA, TAA. I love clear & crisp textures - eg a fan of NVida Control Panel x16 Anisotropic Filtering which blurry AA would just negate. I'll for sure be running it on whatever setting creates the lowest amount of blur, but I'm not happy with their decision so far to not give us an option to turn of all AA.