Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Every time an AC game is released, somebody gets offended... It's like a constant of nature or something.

Netherwind likes this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I really hope we get ship battles again, that was my biggest complaint in AC: Origins.

4. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    You will love it then. This time you can even split ships in two parts with enough ramming speed.
    Only problem then is you need to dive after all the treasure chests you sent down into the ocean.

5. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Is hating the AC series just a hobby for people? I mean the people complaining how bad it is, did they even play Origins (which is really a completely different game from the past AC games).

I'm personally looking forward to this, Origins was great and before that I had fatigue from the series.

Sparta kicks and Greek mythology, sign me up! I also like how they pushed the RPG features even further from Origins.

6. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Origins was great, but it looks like this is just a copy/paste from Egypt into Greece.

7. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    Loved Origins but aside from expanded Naval Combat and larger battles this one looks too similar. I'll give it a miss unless it gets rave reviews.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Judging solely based on the art direction, you're right, it does look somewhat similar to AC:Origins, especially since it's using the same engine. I personally loved the art, world design and so forth in AC:O, and liked it much more than Unity or previous games. The world felt more alive than ever.

From what I've gathered (which has been mentioned before) is that this game will be more RPG like which could also be cool.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    TBH I've heard people say that but haven't seen any concrete info about it, maybe there's some articles/explanation videos I'm missing, I'll certainly check it out closer to the time, I'm always up for an open world rpg :)

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I guess it's for the various abilities and skills you can use now that change up things a bit more compared to Assassin's Creed Origins and having more actual dialogue choices probably including romances because that's a thing in current games no matter how hammed in it is. :D

Open world action-adventure with light RPG elements then perhaps? Building upon Origins and looking quite familiar but with a couple of enhancements of it's own so it's not just a location swap with another story about the new VR kit for full body immersion ha ha.
    And some glowing shiny artifacts and one of the most retconned and remade stories in gaming spanning all over history by now and the future which is also glowing and shiny going by images from the various media released showing the current modern day story which yeah that's going to take a bit more to get into something coherent. (So here's this new Abstergo employee and a story set way outside of whatever is going on in the modern world, anyone wanna see ancient Greece?)

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I got AC:O with all DLC at this year's steam summer sale and I'm clocked in an amazing 140 hours! My last record was with Black Flag at 110. While the story was a bit meh, the graphics and art design were stellar. It's been a while since I just stopped to take in the view, and this happened sooo many times in Origins. Combat was a big step up too, loved it.

I love history in general, hence why I always was attracted to AC games for their partial recreations of old cities/events. It was worth it that they took so long with having an Antiquity setting though, because with this new engine, they can truly bring some glorious visuals. The RPG elements are nice and welcome, almost makes the game feel like a single player MMO, especially with some of the vast (sometimes empty) zones.

So yeah, I'm super excited for Odyssey now, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to resist buying it on launch, but I'll try. :D

PS - Having more naval battles in Odyssey is GREAT news for me, since it basically combines my 2 favorite AC games, namely Origins and Black Flag. :)

signex, DocStrangelove and Netherwind like this.
  12. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Preordered the Medusa Edition. Sorry :D

Solfaur likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/as...ure-over-300-quests-more-info-from-pax.66242/

More info, possible spoilers though.

1. The dev team of Assassin’s Creed Odyssey explained that the mythical creatures the appear in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey are actually human beings who were corrupted by the Pieces of Eden, such as the Medusa and the Minotaur, and if that Piece of Eden falls into the hands of others, they will find themselves “transforming” into mythical creatures, similarly to how Legeia, Bryce’s lover, transformed into Medusa upon taking the Apple of Eden found in the First Civilization site, showcased during the Gamescom demo.
    2. The above statement could implies that among the previously unknown abilities of the Apple of Eden (or at least one/some of them) (Juno once shed light on the fact that the Pieces of Eden had abilities which they previous did not known about) is to affect its wielder on a genetic level, leading to these mutations. Another theory is that since after defeating the creature, no body for the original is found, the Apple might be entirely using up the energy and the matter on the body of its wielder and creating a force field in the shape of the creature, similarly to how in Assassin’s Creed III, Juno once said that if several people are subjected to the beam of the Apple of Eden and they all thought of one thing, like “tree”, the Apple will create a tree.
    3. The Isu / First Civilization site explorable during the Gamescom demo is somehow connected to Layla’s adventure in the present day segment of the game.
    4. Horodotus will be “enthralled” by the Broken Spear of Leonidas and accept to join the protagonist in their journey and document their odyssey.
    5. The protagonist will track down several cultists of the Cult of Kosmos and upon defeating them, will acquire “shard” which they’ll use to enhance the Broken Spear of Leonidas in a “forge”. It must be noted that in the Game Informer cover story, it was revealed that the protagonist will be able to upgrade the Spear in First Civilization “shrines”.
    6. Unlike Assassin’s Creed Origins, Odyssey will explain the connection between the protagonist (Alexios/Kassandra) and their eagle Ikaros.
    7. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey will feature over 300 quests and about 600 points of interest, and that includes areas that the player can find, explore and interact with.
    8. The Daughters of Artemis faction will be a “gateway” to defeating legendary creatures/animals in the Odyssey.
    9. Supporting characters will refuse to join the protagonist on their ship, the Adrestia, if the had a bad reputation/committing atrocious acts against the people. However, players will come across a quest in the game where they encounter a pirate. In that quest, the protagonist will use the sails and figurehead of the Adrestia to raise his/her reputation among the people.
    10. At the beginning of the experience, the protagonist will only be dressed in sandals and undergarments.
    11. Elements such as the floating ashes in the Medusa First Civilization site are unique to their own setting, and those temples/values are handcrafted and their atmosphere isn’t reused in elsewhere in the game.
    12. The dev team decided not to give the protagonist a shield to make the experience more challenging.
    13. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey implements a system for the mercenaries (the law enforcement system in the game) that they don’t simply spawn when needed, they’re always around and will engage with the protagonist when they commit any crimes, whether towards them or any of the citizens, such as stealing, killing, destroying property..etc.
    14. The rationale behind making an Assassin’s Creed game that predates what is known today as the Assassins and Templars, is that ideologies predate the names of organizations, similarly to how players have been playing football long before the NFL.

300 quests, 600 points of interest. Huh so just about a quest at every other POI then. :p
    (Well cities and such will probably once again have a few quest givers grouped nearby I suppose leaving a few more scenic and treasure only points of interest to appreciate...plunder. :p )

14. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Sounds interesting. The lack of a shield is a bit of a letdown though, along with the sword it was the most important piece of equipment for a warrior at that time.

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    And formation.

[​IMG]

Although I guess the game opted for making it look busy or cool instead, well it's a video game but that's a bit of a mess ha ha.
    (From the second page in that thread.)

And yeah no shield from the looks of things, just that spear and whatever other weapon you decide to go with.

sertopico likes this.

16. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Those jaggies make my eyes bleed!

17. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    That is another issue, a battle wouldn't look like that at all. Discipline, tactic and formations are the factors which made the armies advanced and successful. I am not expecting a Rome: Total War experience of course but some more historical accuracy would be well welcomed.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the classical heavy infantry tactics would be quite tightly grouped and use shields and spears to protect one another while having advantage in reach from the long spear weapons.
    There's some footage from the introduction showing just that but it seems the battle system itself in-game draws more from almost chaotic free-for-all "warriors" or "musou" gameplay kinda, guess it's simpler for letting the player do their own thing.
    (Plus the whole thing about artifact of eden pieces and yeah that makes one wonder how Leonidas could have lost that little battle with the Persians at all but oh look they brought archers and someone didn't have a shield, how unfortunate.)

Well at least they're not going all out fantasy with the game although they're mixing in mythological elements with the Assassin's Creed lore and storyline for a mix of historical accuracy and more liberal takes on certain events for gameplay purposes I suppose. Series has done that since the start but I think they've gotten into it a bit more than before with the last couple of entries more so than the earlier games even if those had part of that design too. :)
    (Maybe as a result of switching the lead writer partway through Assassin's Creed 3 was it?)

EDIT: As for the visuals the PC version should be alright, above is probably from console and maybe without specific enhancements for XBox One X and PS4 Pro in place plus some block artifacts from video compression although that wouldn't induce aliasing on the character models and other geometry which is also visible. :)

The temporal AA solution in Origins was also quite solid although slightly blurry but made for a overall very smooth and stable image though downsampling helped retain sharpness for higher-end systems. :)

EDIT: Though with the amount of actors involved the battle segments could also use more aggressive level of detail scaling and fewer clutter objects in the area to keep performance while probably also simplifying animations and such a distance away from the player/camera position.

19. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit Gamerock 4090
    Regarding your last edit they could simply recycle the crowd system used in Unity when it comes to battles, that would be effective in spite of the very aggressive LoD. The good thing of their engines is that they are very modular and they can implement technologies used in other games with lesser effort.

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah Anvil is pretty scalable and this is further built upon the work from AC Unity and AC Syndicate I'd imagine so it could probably be done.
    I don't think the current footage has shown too much of the battle segments so far, guess these are larger setpieces mostly for the story but I would expect a few free roam battles or as part of side quests for maybe some tougher challenges too.

Will be interesting to see how it works in detail, guessing it's army strength and reducing the enemy side probably by killing more of them than you lose as the battle goes on and using various abilities to clear up groups and such quickly.
    Maybe even getting back to formations and more disciplines combatants later on though all out brawl might be the thing they're going for letting players go and do whatever on the battlefield with little tactical worry besides having the bigger bar for unit strength at the end.