Framerate CAP Shortcuts? Request them be added.

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Shaun A Collins, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Shaun A Collins

Shaun A Collins Guest

GPU:
    Hi,

I have a gaming laptop and a usable shortcut key in RTSS would make gaming a little better.

I need rivatuner Statistics Server enable / disable the framerate cap. and to possibly allow using the keyboards +/- to increase/decrease rate..

I dont know if this is already a part, but would really like this added.

Cheers
    Shaun

2. niftucal

niftucal Guest

GPU:
    GeForce
    Did you just ask for the keyboard adjustment feature because you've seen it appear in another product 1 day before? Your timing is so strange that it would probably make my Harvard-educated lawyer suspicious.:)

Apart from the fact that blatantly copying new features from other products would introduce liabilities to the commercial interests behind RTSS / MSI Afterburner, in this case it is also unnecessary for users, since that other FPS limiter is known to be widely compatible with all tools and can be used at the same time without problems.

Kind regards

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Sorry, but that's just nonsense :-/ Since when are keyboard shortcuts copyrighted? The ability of having a keyboard shortcut to control an application setting is not something you can claim ownership of.

Look at how many times Mozilla has sued Microsoft and Google for having Ctrl+Mouse Wheel control page zoom. Exactly zero.

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    First time I see such trolling on these forums. Either that or you are a very... non-smart person to not use a stronger word or I'd get a ban. What do you mean a day before? What happened before September 2nd, which is when OP made this post?

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I hate to break it to ya, Mr. Harward-educated lawyer, but keyboard shortcuts aren't copyrighted. Maybe you should re-think your education, before you lose someone money.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

[sarcasm mode on]
    Well, someone could think that other product is a blatant copy as well. But personally I see no issues with alternate framerate limiting solutions appearing on the scene and available for end users.
    [sarcasm mode off]

To OP. It is a few minutes of implementation and it was requested multiple times before "other product" was born but it is currently not planned, sorry.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    What's that "other product"? Now I'm curious :p

8. Unwinder

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Oh...

10. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    That's a new one, what an strange individual. For "product" I understood that he was refering to the program of some company under registered license and that required a form of payment,, not some random piece of software he wrote. Even then, keyboard shortcuts are pretty normal on many pieces of software.

I am gonna try his limiter for the lulz and see if it's so good that he is worried someone may "copy" his genius idea.

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    So much for his amazing limiter... It does not even work at all.

13. niftucal

niftucal Guest

GPU:
    GeForce
    Wow, seems like the kids brought the pitchforks in force for no reason. I was just alluding to the coincidence that a limiter that allows to control via keyboard shortcuts appeared in Google blogs and ReShade forums 1 day before, and the poster can already use it at the same time if he wants to.

As for copying features from other products, that is general and there may be other products like Bandicam which already implement similar features that users requested and the same would apply. In the same way that if someone just copied RTSS they would probably be interested. I should also point out that people behind these products are professionals with a lot of experience and don't usually do careless things.

Also, I'm not a Harvard-educated laywer myself, my law firm is.

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    In case you are uncapable of noticing it, his post was made EARLIER than yours. You can know quit your paranoia and be at peace.

Yeah, true, RTSS and Bandican are quite advanced programs, imo RTSS should not be free, what it does is way to advanced when it comes to frame rate, your program has a lousy frame rate limiter, it did not seem to work but it kind of does, except you don't realize it because the frame time at 60 fps is the same with or without it. With RTSS is 16.6 ms the vast majority of the time at any game.

15. Unwinder

Let's stop attacking other products here _please_

16. niftucal

niftucal Guest

GPU:
    GeForce
    The timing between "1 September" and "2 September" is strange and somewhat funny, but is irrelevant. Having an idea is useless unless someone does something with it, otherwise anyone with the idea to colonize Mars would be entitled to its resources. Creating working code that implements new functionality is different, and is protected under well established copyrights.

My point was that users can't expect new features just because they've seen it in other products. If people followed the reasoning suggested in this thread anyone could reverse engineer RTSS, copy the code and start selling it, since the code uses basic elements (like windows, bitmaps and shortcuts) which have been used before. It's how the basic elements are arranged and used together to create something new that constitutes original work.

If my intention was to sue for infringement warning someone in advance wouldn't be very smart. I also believe the probability of something like that is basically null, as developers have a lot of respect for each other.

It should be noted I'm currently making my tools available for free, I welcome partners, the components are designed in a way that can be easily integrated into other products and I allow free use in free / open source projects. In this case RTSS doesn't qualify because there are commercial interested involved, but that doesn't mean I have something against it. Quality software is very expensive to develop and it's normal to have companies involved.

In fact my limiter is designed to be compatible with other tools and should be used at the same time. I have no problems recommending RTSS to other people, and don't understand the hate for other products. Re-reading my initial post I can see how it attracted such low-quality replies, which obviously wasn't my intention. If an administrator wants to close the thread they have my permission to do so.

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You never heard of the term "clean room design" before?

And I'm still baffled that you think keyboard shortcuts are copyrightable :-/ Or application features in general. How many features does your software have for example that already exist in other projects? Like ReShade. Do you think you have infringed on ReShade's copyright?

18. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    You are being needlessly paranoid.

The OP asked for a feature to be implemented. Nowhere in the original post does the OP imply that he wants it because he/she has seen it somewhere, let alone in your framelimiter. Again, you are being paranoid since the get-go. If anything, the OP seems like he/she wants it because it would be a "quality of life" feature.

Your first reply comes across as a veiled threat, especially since you make it clear that you are a lawyer, that would be "very interested".

You don't have anything against RTSS so much that you started with a veiled threat that basically said: "someone could lawsuit if this was going to be implemented", and you continue to double down on it.

The only "hate" "other products" (meaning your framelimiter) got was from Smough, and that was only after you doubled down on this little copyright-spiel of yours. Don't play the victim here, you got hate because of your actions and behaviour here, not because of your software.

Pardon us barbarians, milord.

Um, this isn't your thread. It's Shaun's. Nobody neither asks, nor requires your permission.

19. Unwinder

Guys, I ask one more time to stop this discussion please.

20. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb