The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Or you could earn your own money instead of asking for others. Why don't we wait for the real benchmarks before individually deciding if it's worth the asking price.

Serotonin likes this.
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    You don't say captain obvious? A bit of thickness right there, with a lacking sense of humour. Fantastic combo, I applaud.

3. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Remember, GTX 2080 is only 8GB vram card, and games like final fantasy already use 10GB. IMO it's not a good idea to replace 1080ti 11 GB with GTX 2080 8GB, only with 2080ti, or possibly wait for 3080ti, because going from 14nm to 7nm will enable Nv to basically double transistors making 3080ti potentially 20tflops card that would run even the most demanding games at 4K with ease.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Serotonin and Dragam1337 like this.
  4. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    i mean.. (full disclosure, not directed at anyone) the bell curve illustrates that the overwhelming majority of human beings are below average intelligence.

Add in impulse buys. and strong anecdotal evidence that you dont need to be smart to have money. Oh and the sheer number of wealthy people in the world..

I mean if i made ~100k a year, id upgrade every year irrespective of the cost (almost). I still have reason and logic, and a constitution regarding value. When it starts to feel like nvidia is charging more because they can, I dont care if im a millionaire. You can take someone elses money.

That being said, the more you have - the higher that bar moves I imagine.

point being - the fact theyre sold out everywhere proves somewhere roughly around... nothing. (this is without even considering stock availability).

This is coming from the guy who ran quadSLI titans. Theyre not getting my money this go around.

your right if they called it the Titan instead, the story may be different. Then id default to the fact the plane jane 2080 wouldnt be worth the cost of admission relative to last gens but i digress.

Slinkyminx likes this.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Sorry I am not going to contribute and reward them by supporting NVIDIA's monopolistic and shameful pricing. Also don't forget the retailers' who will jack up the pricing too. Screw all of them.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  6. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Mate.... How long have you been in the hardware scene?

o_O

Krasus likes this.
  7. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    The 2080 is barely a mid range card.

In the end HISTORY SHOWS it doesn't matter what Nvidia can have there hardware do, raw power wise. You will get a calculated percentage increase each generation, depending on the market and competition prices. Nvidia are sitting on tech you can't even imagine - you just get cut down GPU's

I have been a keen observer since my TNT2. I first started..... 'noticing things' after the Ti500 - I have never been interested in AMD or Nvidia having a variety inc 9800 Pro HD4870 Crossfire 280x Crossfire and an ABUNDANCE of Nvidia cards..... INC changing my 680 SLI to TITAN SLI.

I have been around....

BIGGEST thing I see happening rn, other than the usual yearly deception, is actually how far the performance/£ is just.... plummeting to comedic levels, as I mentioned previously.

I think Nvidia keep catching a lot of new enthusiasts/enthusiasts with spare cash/people desperate for any ounce of extra 4k performance they can get tbh. There is unfortunately NO STOPPING them, Nvidia will win. WE will lose.

I think.... we already have.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    klepp0906 likes this.
  8. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Since I bought my first PC in 1999.

But just recent example
    GTX 980 - 28nm - 4.6 tflops
    GTX 2080 - 14nm - 10 tflops
    So in 7nm process node Nvidia can very possibly develop even 20 tflops card, and GPU like that will run 4K 60fps easily.

EDIT- it looks like AMD will launch 20 tflops GPU at the end of 2018, so if they can do it, then Nv can also do it.
    https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-new-7nm-radeon-graphics-cards-launching-in-2018/

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I just paid $1,200 for a comic book that's in terrible condition but valued very high, even in said condition. $700 is rather inexpensive considering my hobbies. I'm assuming you're in your 20's and just bitter you can't afford one. I speak from experience. I was that tool 15 years ago blasting everyone that got the latest and greatest because I couldn't. When you get older, build a career and have little debt, you can do these things. And finally, like every troll, you skipped over the main point I stated that you conveniently ignored to be able to go on your rant. IT'S A PREORDER THAT CAN BE CANCELED. No money has left my account. No money leaves my account until the card ships. Benchmarks will be out before the card leaves the warehouse. If performance sucks, I hit this button they have "cancel". Does wonders.

Forgot all about the RAM. Thank you. That's annoying. Nvidia seems to be treating the 2080 more like a 2070 and the ti more like what we would expect from a 2080. Looking more and more like I'll stick with what I have. Blah.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Okay, besides your baseless anti Nvidia rant, please tell us you needed that inferior gaming performance Vega for something professional. I think you just posted a troll post is what I think.

Serotonin likes this.

11. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    It's just good discussion and observation, don't stress too much boys, I think what I think, just sharing... for the record, I am very not alone and open eyes and ears are slowly becoming more in abundance.

Shout out to Jim.... HE KNOWS

Serotonin likes this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    when will we see the first reviews for the new cards? any idea?

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Depending upon what rumor you believe, ~ 2 or 3 weeks.

XenthorX likes this.
  14. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    NVIDIA confirmed that the reviews will go online 14/9.

XenthorX likes this.
  15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Source ?

16. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Came across this on Pierre Terdiman's blog which I found interesting, thought I'd share it:

http://www.codercorner.com/blog/?p=2013
    First half is about the false claims people have been bringing up about PhysX since the new cards have come out, second half is about the lack of knowledge with raytracing.

fleggy and yasamoka like this.
  17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What the f***?

Where is your evidence for this? You don't have a shred of it and you obviously do not understand how fabrication processes and wafer yields work. There is nothing magical whatsoever about what Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Qualcomm, or Samsung are building. It's not alien technology. There are real issues that need to be dealt with the further we slim down those transistors. Go learn about these issues before whipping out baseless conspiracy theories.

What IS your point from all this rambling.

XenthorX and Slinkyminx like this.
  18. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    You're one of the more knowledgeable posters on this forum and I have been reading your posts, learning from yoru posts, and conversing with you since I had my HD4870 Crossifre a good while a go, but if you do not clearly see the 2080 is a mid range card (no, no of course it's not marketed that way....) then I can not help you man, or if I could, this is a dead end vs people who don't even WANT to know the real truth so, I am going to get on with my relaxing Sunday morning.

In the end... it's all moot, anyway.

I mean, I could pay £400 now, and get PRETTY MUCH the same performance as when I paid £400... two years ago.

This is hideous.

19. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    If 7nm AMD GPU will really push 20tflops at the end of 2018 as leaks suggest, then maybe Nv will speed up ampere launch because I think 20tflops GPU from AMD will crush 2080ti very easily
    https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-new-7nm-radeon-graphics-cards-launching-in-2018/

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    tflops do not correlated to fps, or have people totally forgotten all those years of radeons with high numbers and low gaming performance....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.