(Problem solved)How to show two different hardware info in same line?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by rdiameter, Aug 31, 2018.

1. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Literally, How do I do to make it possible, like CPU usage and VRAM usage are showing in same line, not separately. I found that I can drag monitoring info to different line. But I can not find a way to combine them together. I hope I describe it well enough.
    Anybody knows how to make it works?

2. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Why no body reply?
    I like to play and record game in 1080P mode, but the area of hardware info is too big.
    I just want it nice and wide on top of my screen.
    It may be one or two lines.
    Now my info is like this:
    GPU (temp, usage, core clock)
    CPU (temp, usage, core clock)
    MEM(GPU memory usage)
    FPS

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Now I want to add more info, like frame time, system memory usage, even single CPU core usage.
    I like record my gameplay with hardware info as many as possible.
    But now it is a really problem to me that too many info will cover most gameplay content.
    It's really pain in ass.

3. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Because you didn't wait long enough...

To get multiple information in one line you have to override the group name in the monitoring tab to the same group name for each value you want in the same line.
    e.g:
    Group name
    GPU for: Framerate (FPS), GPU usage, MEM usage, core clock, temp
    CPU for: usage, RAM usage, core clock, temp

The sort order from left to right in the OSD is determined by the top to down order in the hardware monitoring graph list. Just drag and drop the lines to change order.

4. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Thanks for your reply,man. But I'm afraid that you didn't catch what I'm saying. I mean put different group info into one line. Like CPU info and GPU info are usually different line. Now I want them in the same line.

5. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Use the "Override Group name" tickbox and call them all the same thing.

6. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    May I ask where are you living? It seems that we are in different time zone.
    Thank you! By 'chinobino' reply, I think I got what you mean now. Still don't know how to set them in same line.

7. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Thank you, sir! I know what you mean. But my main purpose is put CPU info and GPU info into one row, same line, not separated.
    This is ingame info status:
    http://[url=https://*********/][img]https://image.ibb.co/m358Ee/20180901142747.png
    [​IMG]

And this is frame rate group name:
    [​IMG]

This is GPU clock group name:
    [​IMG]

As you can see, framerate group name and GPU clock group name are set to same name. But ingame info is still separated. That's the problem.

8. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    And it's same story to CPU and GPU info. I'm exhausted.

9. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    I found this one:
    So you've got to invoke the layout editor and change all these settings (mainly the color of the group names) accordingly to be equal.

[​IMG]

scroll down a bit to "Group color" and change the entries to be all the same color and your lines get merged together.
    [​IMG]
    One drawback of this method: you don't really know which of the values is e.g. GPU usage and which is CPU usage just by looking at them.

There is another method, to keep the group names but still arrange the groups horizontally and not vertically.
    Got to read a bit more in this forum...

ok, I think I got it.... Is this what you want?
    [​IMG]

For you to see the changes live you should have an 3D app running in windowed mode
    1. So in this OnScreen Display editor click on "Group seperator" to select it.
    2. Then press key "Insert" and a dialog pops up, select "Frametime" (check mark is highlighted) and click OK to insert that into the group seperators. This worked for me to position FPS and Frametime.
    3. Now as value insert "<P=18,0>| " without quotation marks to bring it to position x=18 y=0. Press "Apply" That should get FPS and Frametime right next to the system time (if you have it on)
    4. Next we want the GPU usage... select "Group seperator" again and press insert, check mark "CPU usage" and click OK.
    5. As value try "<P=60,0>| " and click on Apply. If it is not enough to the right, then increase the first value otherwise decrease it. Don't forget to press Apply.
    6. Repeat inserting sensors/groups and position them as you want them to be.
    7. If you don't like the seperator char | (pipe symbol) I used use another one or if you don't want to have any seperator char use an invisible char like \r but you have to use a char after positioning with the P-Tag or it won't work.

boogieman and Putzo like this.
  10. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M

Oh my god! You are my hero!!!
    This is exactly what I want!!!
    Although I used to utilize this software since 2010. But I have to say, you guys are genius!!!
    [​IMG]

I have to save screenshot of this. I'm bad of remember such stuff.

11. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
  12. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Yo, that's pretty dope! I'll try that setting later. Thanks for your help, bro!

13. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Do you know how to backup these settings beside package up whole software folder?
    I'm really noob at this kind of thing.
    And here is my finally result.
    I spent a lot of time on it.

[​IMG]

Andy_K likes this.
  14. Putzo

Putzo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Open a cmd prompt and CD to where Afterburner is installed and do:

C:\> MSIAfterburner.exe /backup <folder_name>

15. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    That command seems to just take a copy of C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles
    I have been unable to make it work with paths containing a space, so I just manually copy the above folder to the desired location.
    Now that I think of it, I should have reported this to @Unwinder

You're welcome mate. I didn't include in that image, all of the parameters I set, so I don't think it will work quite right if you do it just as I have shown - I just wanted to demonstrate to you that you can do quite a lot with these kind of settings if you want to :)
    Your end result looks good !

16. Putzo

Putzo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yes, because all program settings are stored in "MSIAfterburner.cfg" inside the Profiles folder. Plus, /backup will also copy any user changed/made plugins configurations, "PerfCounter.cfg.user" in my case. There's nothing else to be backed up really.

17. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Yeah, that's really issue. I think it's time to introduce a way to backup monitoring settings.
    Actually my concern is if I saved cfg file as a backup, will it works in next update? what if new update use another new command lines?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  18. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Thanks! About 'I have been unable to make it work with paths containing a space", my solution is using quotation marks.like C:\> "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles" /backup <folder_name>

19. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    It's the spaces in the <folder_name> that cause issues, and the quotes don't help I'm afraid.

20. rdiameter

rdiameter Member

GPU:
    GTX980M
    Normally I use CMD in windows. If your parameters have a space, quotes usually works. Try double quote, not single one.