GPU 2 using PCIE x8 v1.1???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by CPC_RedDawn, Aug 26, 2018.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just got a second GTX1080.

Performance seems good but I just spotted this in GPU-Z is this normal?

The first GPU is using PCIe x16 3.0 x8 3.0
    The second GPU is using PCIe x16 3.0 x8 1.1??????

What does 1.1 mean? Is this version 1.1 as in PCIE 1.1?? Am I limited by the PCIE lanes that Ryzen and its chipset has?

I am running an NVME SSD as well which is using x4 PCIE lanes. Both GPU's should be running x8 as there is two of them. Which takes up the 20 PCIE lanes that the Ryzen CPU has (x8 x8 for each card = 16, then x4 for the NVME drive = 20).

Shouldn't both cards be using PCIe x16 3.0 x8 3.0????

Here is a screen shot of GPUz when using the built in FULLSCREEN (for sli) render test.

https://s33.**********/ledmsf8jz/GPU.jpg

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Nevermind guys.

I am a total idiot.

1.1 appears when the second GPU goes into sleep mode to save power. I just played some Dying Light as it has great SLI scaling and both GPU's were using PCIE X16 @ X8 3.0

I am a total noob, I have not had SLI in years so I totally forgot about this.

Please ignore my post.

Cheers.

Dragam1337 and basco like this.
  3. basco

basco Guest

GPU:
    560tfII
    if you were a total idi then you would not come up with the solution yourself.
    happend to me too even with 1 card

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thanks for the reassurance lol.

I thought there was a problem as my 200Mbit internet started only using 100Mbit but over wifi on my phone it was maxing out at 222Mbit during a speed test.

For some reason I started thinking that adding in another card has messed with the Intel Gigabit controller on the motherboard as I know it uses PCIE connection which it states in ADIDA64.

For some strange reason, Windows 10 had set "Link and Duplex" setting for the Intel Device to half speed. Once I selected the top speed manually in device manager and did a speed test it shot back up to 200Mbit.

That is when I spotted the 1.1 thing in GPUz and thought I was running into PCIE lane issue by not having enough of them.

But alas everything is running fine now. It took me a while but I figured it out in the end :p

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Question: when you ran it in full screen test, why didn't the 2nd GPU come out of sleep state? That's what threw me off in your description. "Here is a screen shot of GPUz when using the built in FULLSCREEN (for sli) render test."
    Both should have been shown running at their full link speed (depending upon board layout).

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Not too sure I think it could be because I am using two screens maybe....

You have to run it in fullscreen for it to use sli or crossfire. I have played over 6 games now with two instances of GPU-Z open on my second screen and both GPU's use PCIE 3.0 x16 @ 8x and not 1.1

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    https://s33.**********/ledmsf8jz/GPU.jpg

That's what is throwing me off. You said this was SLI using the Full screen mode. You should see both of those at the full link speed running the full screen test. It might be you posted the wrong image.