The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I do respect the fact that you never had that thought but it is sadly pervasive on this forum.

There is no correlation between wealth and intelligence, I've met some particularly stupid rich people in my time :p

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The reality is, Nvidia hiked prices a long time ago. The Titan, first introduced with Kepler, was in effect a massive price hike, raising the price of the top card from about $600 or so to $1200. Ever since then, Nvidia has charged $1200 for their top consumer card - the only difference with Turing is that they dropped the Titan branding.

This is the reason why I've always despised the Titan series and why I've always refused to buy one (even if I can afford it, I don't want to reward this type of behavior from Nvidia). It's also why I refused to pre-order a 2080 Ti - I feel that buying it would validate Nvidia's pricing strategy and encourage them to hike prices even further.

anxious_f0x and Slinkyminx like this.
  3. michael_d

michael_d Member Guru

GPU:
    FE RTX 2080 Ti
    Interview with Nvidia's Tom Peterson. Lot's of questions answered.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The Titan has always targeted multiple sectors (FP64 with the first few and Deep Learning with the next few) and the first two of them were massive cards that shipped really early on in 28nm lifespan, when yields were absolutely abysmal. That's not to mention that 28nm was the first node that cost per transistor started plateauing. With Turing, Nvidia didnt really have a choice. There isn't node shrink, or at least they didn't feel like waiting for one, maybe the GF thing happened, there are no magical performance improvements like there were with Maxwell, there is literally nothing left for Nvidia to do to beat Pascal but either A. Shift the graphics paradigm to something else or B. Build a really big chip and sell it to consumers. They chose both. They currently aren't using the full Turing die, so a Titan may launch.. but yeah there isn't much room for one when the only way to beat Pascal to a reasonable degree is 750mm2.

And honestly, irregardless to price, the market for some of these cards is starting to shrink. The vast majority of users (~90% according to steam) are on 1080p monitors, maybe 144hz, doesn't even matter really.. that level of performance is covered by $400, 1070s now. I mean I have multiple friends who used to upgrade every generation for over two decades, all stuck on 980's/980Tis because they feel it's more than enough for 1080p, with even the latest titles. Five years ago you'd need to shell out $500+ every gen to even consider playing the latest games at 1080p. Now you can get away with $250, 1060s and it's fine. This generation a 2060 or whatever AMD releases, will probably be even cheaper for that "user level".

5. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    This is where I am at, I was a pure 1080p user until my monitor decided to break and I upgraded to 1440p. I just hope these new cards perform well at that res because it is time to upgrade my 980. BF1 is quite laggy and i can't even play tomb raider because frame drops.

6. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    it really depends on the kind of performance the card gives, i'd rather stick with new tech than upgrade to something that came out a few years ago which I could have bought then.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    A 1080 Ti is way more than what you need for 1440p gaming (I use a 1440p/144hz monitor myself). If you can get one for a good price then definitely go for it.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I think that this is fake. No pictures of the card and just random numbers...hm...

9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Just getting those early clickbait views, if I had to guess. I'm waiting for official Guru3D, Techspot and Anand benches before speaking in concrete terms regarding Turing.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    This is quite informative. Around the 26 minute mark they mention that equal class steps from Pascal to Turing in non AI/DLSS/RTX games will be 35%-45%. This, combined with an EVGA step up from my 1080Ti would just get me to buy a 2080Ti.

EDIT - Just finished watching the whole video. This should have been the Gamescom presentation. Lots of information and answers to pertinent questions for gamers. Usually JSH has given good speeches, but I think he may need to come down off of that RTX cloud a bit.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018

11. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    it looks like they have tested witcher 3 with HW, because on 1080ti game is already running with 60fps for the most part. Without HW game will probably never dip below 60fps on 2080ti.

12. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Keep in mind that this info is still only claims from a nvidia representative and that nvidia themselves are selecting reviewers for the upcoming benchmarks. It's serious stuff. I mean the promises and claims are nice but I'll remain skeptical until we see some unaffiliated tests done.

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Embargo lifts in two weeks, it's better just to wait for G3D like you say.

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    These GPU series should cost absolute 100$ less as base price at least or even more. Everyone who buys overpriced Turing, pays for Huang's leather jackets. Good luck being the victim.

2080ti is an absolute GPU of about 1049$ worth. Potential buyers should think kind of embargo against Nvidia. Rich guys who pay without research ruin industry for millions of gamers.

EL1TE and cryohellinc like this.
  15. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lol 4k 60FPS official benchmarks for the standard 2080 shown pretty much 60FPS at 4k all games, yet the 2080 Ti can't average 60FPS in 3 year old games as shown in the leaked video, if this is true it means the "Official NVIDIA benchmarks" for the 2080 were actual max FPS reached and not average FPS.

The minimums look pretty bad too.

I'd buy a 2080 Ti if it was 900€ or 1100 tops if it was AIO, meanwhile cheapest is 1169€ with fans and lowest clocks out of all 2080Ti. Shame, would be a nice upgrade over the GTX1080, guess i'll wait for 7nm ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    We know that NO benchmark so far is 100% certain to be final or with launch drivers. Patience my fellow gurus, patience....

17. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    NVIDIA showed 4K numbers with DLSS..

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    NV showed 4K percentages, with and without DLSS

19. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru