The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Going to copy and paste the reddit post from that video:

Hulk12, blitzo, fantaskarsef and 2 others like this.
  3. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for sharing interesting info, so basically there's a big room for performance improvement, and when games will start using RTX effects rendered at lower resolution performance should be much better at 1440p/4K :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Take a stand by buying AMD which has nothing competitive with your 1080 Ti never mind Turing? I literally don't get all the emotional baggage in this post and thread. It's electronics, it's an optional purchase for a hobby. You've tricked yourself into believing this is more important that it is. Relax.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Yeah...but remember the 8800 Ultra? That released at ~$800.

yasamoka likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    @LuckyNumber8
    Too much text, for a too obvious topic. Once again I'm talking about PC Monitors, not TV's, while you keep blabbing about TV's. Of course, you won't sit next to a TV 1m away till your eyes bleed.

Other than that, be my guest and use 480p screen for all I care. End of convo.

Shataan and anxious_f0x like this.
  7. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I have sat less than 1m away from a TV for years for gaming no bleeding eyes :) but going from 1080p to 4k has been an awesome improvement in image quality

Shataan likes this.
  8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    And that's my point!

9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Yes it should be obvious topic for anyone, but it wasnt for you because you were still ignoring obvious limits of human vision and the most important factor, the viewing distance. So I have quoted detailed article for you to back up my arguments, so rather than acting salty just read it and accept the facts. Human vision has limits and at further distance HD and 4K will appear exactly the same.

Anyway after watching DF analysis in regards to RTX in Battlefield 5 it looks like RTX effects can be optimised much better and probably run at 60fps even at higher resolutions. Current RTX games are using RTX effects at 1:1 parity with raster resolution (that's what DF have said), and RTX cores are obviously too slow for 1440p or 4K. So upscaled RTX effects should still look good at native 4K and run in much better framerate. If many new games will support RTX effects decently even at higher resolutions, then RTX cards will be as revolutionary as geforce 3 once were (we have seen games with shaders for the first time), because we will see many new amazing effects in games. I bet few years from now RTX geforce cards will be so fast game developers will start using RTX for basically everything :p. So maybe we will get photorealistic graphics in games sooner than expected :). If RTX will adopt quickly on PC than maybe PS5 or Xbox 4 will also use something similar to RTX, because otherwise graphics quality on new console generation will look dated compared to PC with RTX effects :).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Noisiv likes this.
  10. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Oh dear, you sir, do not see what is happening.

You are probably in a privileged position to not feel excluded or forced out of your 'hobby' As I imagine you will/be able to buy a 20XX, even when they cost £1000

Nvidia are crushing us with there heavy steps, some of us feel those weighty steps more than others, which might be the 'upset' you detect in this thread. I won't drag this on, as anyone who doesn't see a problem likely won't see eye to eye with those which see it clearly.

Luckily I have a few other hobbies myself but for those which enjoy cutting edge graphics and performance in PC gaming as there big 'thing' I am very sorry for them to have to endure this abuse from such an unscrupulous company as invidia.... Sorry Nvidia

Anti-Competitive, Anti-Consumer, Anti-Technology

Chastity likes this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    How are you being pushed out of your hobby exactly?

Because you can't afford a top of the line card?

There are other options, you don't have to have a 2080Ti.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    yasamoka, cowie, pharma and 1 other person like this.
  12. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    This will go nowhere

13. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Well if his hobby is to have the cutting edge tech in pc gaming hardware, his comment has merit.

Sure, if you just want to game, and settings / tech doesn't matter to you, there are plenty of options... but if you do want the cutting edge tech / graphics, then prices for that has just gone through the roof with the 2000 series :)

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, not really bud.

He is not being pushed out of his hobby, he just can't/won't experience it at the highest fidelity.

As @HeavyHemi said, these are just things and some people get way too emotional about them.

There are far more important things in life than GPUs.

yasamoka likes this.
  15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    As a hardware enthusiast, i disagree :p

If i can't play a game at the highest image quality, i either upgrade instantly, or wait for faster hardware to become available before playing the game - if i wasn't able to afford faster hardware... well let's just say i wouldn't get to play alot of new games... lol

I totally feel where he is coming from, and i'm just glad that gpu power reqruired in the upcoming games doesn't seem to have moved much since ps4 / xbone came, cause that means i can likely get away with skipping the 2000 series, and still run games at the highest settings :)

BangTail likes this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    We'll agree to disagree then.

I'd like a Veyron, I can't afford one.

I still drive.

Cheers :p

Dragam1337 likes this.
  17. TheKid76

TheKid76 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Limit 1 per household? I need to get a second mortgage to afford it!

18. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    It's really hard, neigh, impossible to take anything you say, on this particular matter, even slightly seriously, with 2x 2080Ti in your PC specs.

It's a procreating GPU.... Nvidia are ripping you off period, PERIOD, but it's simply not that of a big deal to you, THAT is why YOU'RE flippant about it.

If my local gym raised my monthly membership from £25 to £50 because the only other gym around here closed, for example, they could go **** there own mothers, no matter how much I needed to train, I'd god damn well buy my own weights and train in my front room... before being screwed THAT badly.... OH WAIT!!!

There are MANY PC ENTHUSIASTS who had to drop out with the 10 series. No more 2x top of the line GPU in SLI to have FUN tinkering with, and benchmarking and of course, GAMING! :D

The pricing is Lunacy, the performance/£ is laughable now, and it's not even debatable, so yeah, I imagine a fair few pissed off people will surface to vent some thoughts.

And that tired old car reference has been used for years in this context.

I am not wanting to argue, I have nothing against you and well done to you for working hard and putting yourself in a position to afford the finer things in life, I respect you for that, enjoy it! However spare a thought for some others who share your enthusiasm minus your means.

My issue is with Nvidia, there deceptive marketing tactics, abuse of the market, abuse of power, lies and general scumbaggery etc :D, NOT you.

You can learn a few things about peoples beloved Nvidia from someone, who I think see's things VERY clearly and has the talent to be able to present the BIG picture, and put it together in a eloquent enough way as to be digestible by pretty much anyone who is able to open there eyes and ears.

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It's not that I don't see your point, I do and I understand perfectly where you are coming from and you may also be surprised to hear that I do empathize (to a certain extent).

Saying you won't take me seriously because I bought two of these cards is childish as it has nothing to do with the veracity of what I say.

The fact of the matter is that these cards cost what they cost and essentially you have two choices, you buy them and accept the price (however fair or unfair you may think it is) or you don't.

Life isn't fair, these companies (and you better believe Nvidia is not alone) are going to do whatever they can to maximize their profit.

Nvidia may well be guilty of all the things you (and others) are accusing them of but that still doesn't change the price of the cards or that Nvidia are the only company offering any kind of new GPU technology in the near term.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, would I rather pay less - of course I f*cking would.

The assumption (that too many people on this forum make) is that the people who are buying these cards are idiots that just like to throw money away is asinine, we are enthusiasts who want the best gear and the best gear costs money, that's just the way it is.

Cheers :D

yasamoka likes this.
  20. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I absolutely 100% do not and never have thought this

And on a lighter note, let's be very honest... if you can afford those cards, I seriously doubt you are an idiot :p

BangTail likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.