The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Tin spoon, tin spoon! :D

Yeah that's why I can't believe they're that good, they would have put those numbers into any presentations we've seen so far, there's a reason why they have a NDA in place for another two weeks.

2. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Since pre-orders are actually shipped 6 days after reviews people can always cancel their order can't they? Or is there something I'm missing?
    It seems Nvidia is quite confident of their product otherwise review date and availability date would coincide.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Suuure. Because they are a small company, they really don't have resources to make it proprietary from the start before working with all the developers on all these engines..

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What? No, it's not a coprocessor. There are RT cores inside each SM along with the regular FP cores as well as the DL cores. How is this relevant to the scheduling difference between AMD GCN and Nvidia Kepler / Maxwell / Pascal? How exactly do you suggest this architecture become more parallel?

Noisiv and pharma like this.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Eh? I thought pre-orders exceeded available inventory? Also, even if the performance difference was low (20% non-RTX) I think people would have still pre-ordered. The hype for the 20-series has been building all year long and there are always people who are willing to shell out to have the best (their e-peen demands it). I mean, if there are whales who are willing to pay thousands of dollars in pay-to-win loot boxes, then there are certainly enough people willing to pay a thousand dollars to have the best hardware.

6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, you can cancel your pre-order and most places have a no-hassle return policy even if you receive the cards and decide you don't want them.

I still think they would have made more noise about an all encompassing 50% non RTX performance jump.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    man I remember when I play 139$ for 9800gt, which was equivalent to xx80 series atlest back then, prices have gone insane since, not comparing performance here I comparing the series price back then to to same series equivalent today where prices are just crazy.

or maybe I seeing things wrong series wise. yes performance of the 9800gtx vs 1080gtx are night and day, but to they same series in my eye, just upgrade performance with jacked up prices.

Kasp likes this.
  8. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    The 9800GT was basically just a rebranded 8800GT with a die shrink hence why it was soo cheap. That particular generation didnt have a new GPU architecture it was just a die shrink if I remember correctly. GPU prices started to balloon on the next series after with the GTX 280 card when it launched at $650! lol

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
  10. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Cyberpunk 2077 will support both real-time ray tracing and NVIDIA’s Hairworks
    [​IMG]
    https://www.dsogaming.com/news/cybe...-real-time-ray-tracing-and-nvidias-hairworks/

Noisiv likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  12. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Seems like 1080p is the new 4K... a huge step backwards in resolution to accommodate the advances in real-time rendering (ray-tracing). Will their AI-enhanced anti-aliasing solution prove useful in these scenarios? Seems like I won't need to upgrade to a 4K monitor after all.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    4k offer far better overall picture quality increase across the board compared to 1080p+RayTracing.

Raytracing is the future, however in its current iteration by the looks of it its too fresh, expensive and IMO not worth it yet.

14. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    It depends on the viewing distance. At longer viewing distance human eyes cant see much difference between 1080p and 4K

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It had to be introduced at some point. If ray-tracing was introduced in the era of 8K graphics your statement would read:

"8K offers far better overall picture quality increase across the board compared to 4K+RayTracing."

If ray-tracing heavily impacts performance then this will always be the case, and those gamers who want the highest resolution will always find it lacking.

My beef with Turing is not the technology, but the pricing. Even with the large size of the chip, I don't think Nvidia needs to price these cards the way they do. The company is massively profitable as it is, and both the 1080 Ti and the Titan Xp use the same GP102 chip but are priced very differently. Like with the Titan, Nvidia wants to collect that monopoly money before offering these products at a more reasonable price.

blitzo and cryohellinc like this.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Won't agree with your statement. Higher resolution = larger pixel density = sharper image both close up and on long distance.

Solfaur likes this.
  17. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Human eyesight has limits and that's a fact. If your eyes cant see higher pixel density at certain distance then pixels will start to blend the same way as you would watch lower resolution image. All screen size guides mention you have to sit at certain distance in order to see 2160p benefits relative to you screen size. 4K is insane resolution, well above human eyesight limits at normal distances from tv. I have one friend who bought 4K HDTV and he watch his tv at 1'5 meter distance in order to really see 4K benefits, but I watch my tv from 3 meters and above and I really cant see any difference between 1080p/1440p/2160p content. If I would have to choose playing shadow of the tomb raider on my PC monitor from close distance, then I would prefer higher resolution image over RTX effects, but at longer viewing distance (and that's my normal distance) from tv I would choose RTX effects over higher resolution, because I would not see 4K benefits anyway, while I will see RTX effects for sure. On my samsung S8 pixel density is so high I have troubles to see the difference between 1440p and 1080p even from up close and I have good eyesight (20/20).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    BangTail likes this.
  18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    @LuckyNumber8
    Your argument is incorrect. Yes human eyesight has limits, but those limits are dependant on the quality of vision of each individual.
    Secondly image quality is dependant on two factors - it's resolution and size of screen you are looking at. A 1080p image will look good on 20inch screen, and it will look blurry on 32inch screen. While 4k image will look nice and crisp all the way to 40 inch (and potentially above) due to pixel density, regardless of which distance you sit away from the screen.

Also, we are talking about monitors, not TV so not sure why you switched to that suddenly. Everyone sits next to their monitor during gaming/ usage on a more or less similar distance.

19. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    my 1080p 40in tv I could see pixels but my 4k 42in tv is awesome image is so crisp I don't use AA anymore I sit right in front so up close 4k is so much better at 40/42 than using a 1080p TV up close

20. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    You are totally ignoring extremely important factor, the viewing distance. If you sit at longer distance the amount of pixels that your eyes can see will decrease because of eyesight limits (pixels will start to blend), it's very simple concept yet you still dont understand it.

Below article in regards to resolution and screen sizes
    https://www.rgb.com/display-size-resolution-and-ideal-viewing-distance
    and interesting quote
    So like I have said, viewing distance is very important factor.

[​IMG]

Distance, tv size, and pixels density are all equally as important factors, and that's why optimal viewing distance charts take all of them into consideration.

I know very well limits of human vision and that's why I have mentioned people with good vision (20/20) only, not some blind people (some poeple cant even see 20/200 line!). Average people (healthly people who dont wear glasses) with good eyesight can see 20/20 line on the snellen table, and because of that optimal distance charts are based on people with 20/20 vison also because they measure ideal conditions. So normal healthy people with good eyesight need to sit at least 2.2m from let's say 55 inch (it's the most popular screen size) HDTV to even begin seeing 4K benefits at all, and preferably at 1m in order to resolve (see) ALL details (pixels) and of course people with worse vision will have to sit even closer than that.

Also no one said we are talking about monitor displays only, it should be obvious to you people play games on either monitors or HDTV these days. However in my last post I have mentioned specifically I cant see 4K benefits on my own HDTV from my normal viewing distance while on monitor the difference is very apparent because I sit at close. So depending on the viewing scenario some people may choose 1080p (RTX on) over 4K (RTX off) settings simply because they will not see 4K benefits anyway.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    BangTail likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.