GeForce RTX 2080 in TimeSpy Result Set Leaks - Titan Xp performance

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 28, 2018.

1. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Sigh, i hate times like these, where's AMD at? If AMD wasn't this slow i'm sure that even NVIDIA would release something much better, we'll know for sure how good these cards are in about 2 weeks i guess. :/

I'm getting triggered that there's nothing worth upgrading to considering the prices of the 2080Ti, because the GTX1080 is getting on my nerves due to being subpar for 3440x1440 ;_;

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think the prices would be different but I doubt they'd release something much better. Not much more to do with the current node and 7nm isn't ready yet for chips anywhere near this big.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, It should at most cost as GTX 1080Ti, but those transistors... nVidia, what was you thinking?

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    People here sure are pessimistic... Despite having fewer CUDA cores than a 1080Ti while mostly being the same architecture (excluding the raytracing stuff), it performs better.

Sure, its price is terrible, but people are still pre-ordering it, so unfortunately the price is justified.

5. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    should have called it the 1180, lmao

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I don´t think they are pessimistic they are just "furious" with Nvidia´s pricing scheme and i can´t blame them. The good thing about gaming is that´s a very affordable hobby compared to others but companies like Nvidia are changing that...

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    By that logic a 2080 Ti should have costed umm... 12 million dollars ? Because it is probably 100.000 times faster than A Riva TNT ( https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/comparison-graphics-cards-nvidia,96-13.html )

The point of technical progress is to push the PERFORMANCE up while reducing price ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeralization ).

The bigger and bigger prices have nothing to do with the advancement in performance, but everything to do with "economics", "capitalism" and (lack of) "competition". And also NV being greedy assholes, and Jensen needing moar'n'moar leather jackets.

carnivore likes this.
  8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Eh, it's really not even close to the same architecture. The cache is double the size, double the bandwidth and unified. It has a new memory controller and a new video decoder. It regained hardware scheduling to support independent warp execution. It completely lost all it's ILP ability (the architecture is no longer superscalar) but each partition within the SM now has its own dispatch/warp scheduler. INT/FP are completely separated within the SM (but cannot be issued instructions simultaneously). It supports INT8/INT4 and FP16 (RPM). Each SM partition also comes with Tensor cores as well. The architecture also supports variable rate shading in hardware.

Overall Pascal -> Turing is probably a larger change than Kepler -> Pascal.

I mean the prices mostly have to do with the fact that the chip is 65% larger, which leads to lower yields per wafer and the 50% increase in transistors while the manufacturing cost per transistor has been stagnating for sometime.

moeppel likes this.
  9. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    AMD doesn't have 1080ti competitor but it still hangs pretty well and surpases the 1080 at 4k at over 70fps.. Strange Brigade 4k with async compute:

[​IMG]

10. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    Then get a 1080Ti if you find the Rtx prices hard to swallow - may even get a second card (second hand) if the rig can take it. I've done 1080Ti since they arrived, and got no issues running 4K Ultra.

Everyone whines about the prices of the RTX generation.. these cards have more cudas than previous gen, performs better per core AND comes with loads of the tech that enables Ray tracing... The price is pretty much where it needs to be.

For anyone who wish to have more performance than they had should go single 1080Ti, or SLI if they want it cheap - seing as prices now drop a lot, specially second hand..
    For those who cherish technological advancement, and understand how pricing works.. the 20x0 lineup is a very nice range of cards :)

BangTail likes this.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    But sadly the changes aren't made with gaming in mind, regardless what nvidia might say... the rt / tensor cores makes a huge difference for quadro and tesla use, but it's a gimmick on geforce cards... geforce cards would have benefitted alot more by scrapping the rt / tensor cores, and getting more shader cores instead. (no, it wouldn't be better for raytracing, but who is actually going to use that anyways... we want more performance in 100% of the games, rather better graphics in 0,001% of games)

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    im pretty convinced this is the 2070, not the 2080.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Nobody is forcing you (not you, specifically) to buy a 2080+. With the exception of the mining craze, there has always been affordable GPUs to give hobbyists an adequate gaming experience. I'm sure the 2060 will be priced reasonably and will probably offer modest 2K gaming performance. That's ideal for hobbyists.
    Nvidia's series that end in 80 or higher aren't for hobbyists, they're for enthusiasts. If you're enthusiastic enough about their products, the price doesn't matter, and clearly that seems to be the case due to the preorders.

Um... no? Because if nobody is willing to pay for it then the price isn't justified...
    Value is determined entirely by those who are willing to pay for it. People are pre-ordering a GPU without any official benchmarks and are willing to pay the exorbitant pricing. Therefore, whether you like it or not, the price is in fact justified.
    I don't disagree with that, but that's besides the point.
    I also agree there.

Ah I wasn't aware there were that many differences (I knew of many of those, but not all of them). For the record, I was mostly focusing on the architectural differences that were specific to gaming (exclusing the tensor cores) but I guess considering everything you said, there's still enough differences.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The advertised boost clock is not the maximum possible boost.

You know nvidia doesn't even compete with AMD? it never competed with ATI either, its always been competing with itself

15. Labeled

Labeled Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti SC+

The 1070 was as fast at the 980ti however the 10 series was a bigger leap than normal.
    980 vs 780 ti
    BF4 - 72 / 64
    MLL - 58 / 54
    TR - 100 / 92

if you go back through their older reviews you'll see that the 10 series is an outlier in performance improvement. the old and probably returning trend is the new X80's will perform as well as the old X80 Ti's, the new X70s will perform as well as the old X80s, the new X60s will perform as well as the old X70s, and the X50s as the old X60s.

This is exactly where I was expecting the card to perform, anyone that thought otherwise hasn't been paying attention to trends in improvement.

all numbers were grabbed from the 980 review

Prince Valiant likes this.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nvidia was already playing with the SM layout in Pascal (4:1 vs 5:1 in Maxwell) in an attempt to extract more ILP out of modern games. You can't infinitely scale core count and expect game performance to scale with it. They had to make a change at some point - maybe a little premature but it was definitely coming.

Few other things: RT "cores" are a misnomer - they're not discreet cores, just a function of INT/ALU changes within the SM. Tensors are discreet but relatively small within the SM. The biggest die size changes is from the cache doubling. RPM, which is now a feature of both Vega/Turing should promote developers to utilize much faster, lower precision shaders when necessary (next generation of consoles should be getting this as well). FC5 is the only current game that utilizes it AFAIK but I think more will in the future now that both vendors support it in consumer parts. The TLP changes should allow DX12 developers to extract more performance out of the architecture in mixed compute/graphics scenarios. We've heard relatively nothing about Variable Rate Shading and how that's going to be utilized. DLSS can be pretty huge going forward as it's relatively easy to implement (very similar to TAA) and Nvidia seems intent on training more games.

I think overall the release is too expensive and honestly probably a little too late in 16/12nm lifespan but I think the changes we are seeing here were coming one way or another. I also think the features that will be added to this card through NGX will add value over its lifecycle - all of which will be based on the deep learning additions to the hardware.

That being said I'm probably not buying it unless they drastically cut the MSRP. 2080Ti needs to be $800 or less or it's a no-go for me. 1080Ti more than covers my QHD needs for now and foreseeable future and I can't afford both a $1200 video card and a $2000 4K 144hz monitor. One, if not both of those prices need to drop for me to consider the package.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    In terms of traditional (non-RTX) rendering, Turing is not worth it. A next-gen product is supposed to perform better at the same price (if a 2080 performs like a 1080 Ti but costs the same then there's no point to the 2080). Those buying Turing for traditional rendering should serious reconsider their options.

Simply put, what justifies the price premium for Turing is RTX. Whether the price is justified or not depends on how much you value ray-tracing and DLSS. I suspect that not many are buying for RTX though - I think it's mostly the novelty (being the first to own it) and just wanting to have the fastest card out there (at least with regard to the 2080 Ti).

chispy, holler and schmidtbag like this.
  18. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Yes that's the thing, the issue is not only the price of the 2080Ti but how much better than the GTX1080 it is, i need results first and i'm not going to fund RT this early.

Regarding SLI no thanks, but NVLink might be worth it, which again i repeat, i need results first.

Might even be great two 2080 with NVLink.

That's why i said that?

If there was new AMD GPUs no matter if they were worse NVIDIA wouldn't be charging this much, no competition allows them to price it at whatever they want.

19. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    For 850-900$? LOL, please don't go full retard.

BTW, difference between 1080 Ti and Titan XP is 5%, not 20%.

The 1070 was a lot faster at its debut than the 980Ti - by about 14%. And the 1080 was about 38% faster than the 980Ti. Good days are over.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  20. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If this is an overclocked GTX 2080, then it's only 16% faster than a Guru3d overclocked GTX 1080:
    https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_geforce_gtx_1080_strix_oc_11_gbps_review,38.html
    The Maths: 10030 / 8665 = 1.16 = 16% faster

That 16% figure is kinda what people were expecting when looking at the raw specs of the GTX 2080. I'm not impressed yet, need to see proper reviews, conflicting ideas on potential performance from different sources currently.