AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.8.2 Driver download

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7, chispy and NvidiaFreak650 like this.
  2. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    AMD need more than one person working on their drivers.
    What a utter joke.

Strange Brigade well wow you have really been working very hard this month well done.
    amazing amount of fixes and updates making nvidia look so bad.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  3. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Nvidia needs more than 0 working on theirs, they still did not manage to make support for free version of adaptive sync, its like 1 feature that would change my mind about ever buying their stuff

4. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    wendell levelone done it already but was told to stop.
    How i see that if nvidia were confident in their product superior performance they would give nvidia users access to freesync.
    But they wont because it isn't any better.
    not anymore.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Did they suddenly fix all of these issues? I don't see any of it being mentioned in the release notes?

Also I don't understand why they won't release a "game ready" driver for the latest F1 game?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Are you judging by that what's posted here on G3D or based on real release notes from AMD?

7. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Think because the game is just a reskin of F1 2017 with minor tweaks at best.

8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    A driver released on a Sunday? Is this a 1st because I don't recall doing this on a sunday.
    I can only assume that the driver dept. is working overtime. Is there a link to AMD website? I just visited there and didn't see .8.2 for my card.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's just a beta driver, don't have a cow, man!

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This will end up being the first Adrenalin driver I won't be using. Thanks to Proton, I've been able to ditch Windows entirely from my gaming PC. Sure, there are a few games here and there that don't yet work, but they're all old stuff that I haven't played in years anyway (and I'm not to sure if I'll ever play them again, anyway).

11. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    @schmidtbag Completely off-topic, but.. how's the performance comparing to windows native solution
    Any benchmark yet? (not ditching windows, but very curious about it)

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    There aren't a whole lot of games I tried extensively and I keep vsync on with a 60Hz display so I wouldn't be able to give you any real numbers. However, at least of everything that worked, I was able to get 60FPS and everything felt very smooth. Unfortunately, most of the games that have external DRMs were the ones that didn't run. Valve pointed out that this was probably going to happen. I'm sooo close to getting FarCry 3 to run, but I can't get Uplay to sign me in.

Proton is a bit different from "vanilla Wine" (what a weird sounding drink lol) in the sense that it's more multi-threaded and uses different libraries to handle things like DirectX. This gives it a major performance boost.

Theoretically, Linux will always have some performance loss compared to Windows when using something like Proton or Wine, because clock cycles are wasted on the compatibility layer. Furthermore, you don't get any of the application profiles that the Windows drivers come with (although if you use Nvidia, their closed-source drivers might actually have some). However, Linux is known to generally perform better than Windows in most CPU and GPU benchmarks tasks, when properly ported. This performance advantage could "level the playing field".

TL;DR
    When it works, performance is adequate, but if you're a competitive gamer and care about stuff like response time, you should probably stick with Windows. I've heard how there are times where game are unplayably slow or have major visual glitches, but I don't consider that working.

13. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Only issue I had with the July driver was when having FreeSync on, I get black screen at random while watching movies as well Windows mouse lag but now 18.8.1 and 18.8.2 both problems are fix. also driver release on a Sunday is odd even for AMD. [​IMG]

14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    I dont think its an official release yet..

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    The problem with Linux gaming is that you don't play the games you wish to play.
    You play the games that you CAN play.

Which is not as bad as it sounds, as we have too many games to begin with.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    DXVK and D3D11 and D3D10 wrapped to Vulkan and the new Proton feature from Valve which it seems supports D3D11 and D3D12 wrapped to Vulkan should have expanded the library significantly now though, anti-cheat software and similar will probably be a concern but if the game is still actively updated there's a chance for Proton at least to be whitelisted since it's backed by Valve. :)

There's a slight performance hit and depending on drivers some support problems or bugs could crop up as well but the latest changes to AMD and Linux seems to be improving things overall little by little for Vulkan and also OpenGL.

As for this I switched since a thunderstorm yesterday gave some free time so I de-dusted the PC and installed the driver and gave it a go, it's still doing that PCI-E filter install which gave the audio card a bit of a problem but a reboot resolved it and so far the driver is pretty much working same as 18.8.1 but it is mostly a few tweaks and geared for Strange Brigade support and it's Vulkan mode which I assume gives AMD a performance advantage, don't have any Vulkan games or software at the moment to test with though, driver components are a bit newer for some things and I used the 1.1.82.1 VLK redist but yeah can't really test the API at the moment but no other issues so far with it. :)

Some profile tweaks too but I don't have Crossfire so not something I can test either and the profile file is only part of the whole, driver itself could have other changes too. From searching around a bit 18.8.1 also has some additional FreeSync fix for flickering so that's one additional fix as a example though well this driver here will probably see a non-beta 18.8.2 release later this week unless AMD goes for 18.9.1 but I'm pretty sure they'll get a non-beta version out for this driver too in time for Strange Brigade's official launch and maybe with more fixes though I'm expecting the game to be the focus of the driver.

Fox2232 likes this.
  17. darkcoder

darkcoder Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    AMD works on a big driver that is released on December, so you are completely right. Probably there is just one rookie dev doing the game support while the rest of the team is working hard on finishing the features of next big bomb driver.

But NVidia???? Do they have an schedule now??? Oh wait, they do! Add the new hardware support like Ray Tracing and AI that no older card will support. And that's not counting any Vulkan and/or DX12 improvement that may have landed too.

18. Komachi

Komachi Member

GPU:
    Radeon Pro Duo Fiji
    Official Release Note is Here : https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-strangebrigade

Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition for Strange Brigade™ Early Access Release Notes

Support For
    • Strange Brigade™ Early Access
    Known Issues
    • Minor corruption may be observed when launching Strange Brigade™ with Vulkan™ enabled on Windows®7 system configurations.
    • An application hang may occur in Strange Brigade™ on multi GPU enabled systems with both V-Sync enabled in game and Radeon FreeSync enabled on Windows®7 operating system.
    • Radeon Overlay may not show up when toggled in multi GPU system configurations in Strange Brigade™ with Vulkan™ enabled.
    Package Name :18.8.2;)

19. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Anytime you see an "issue" mentioned, note the word "may" is also present--meaning that not everyone has/sees these bugs...;) I almost always see that none of the issues reported apply to my hardware/software environment. Reminds me of a few years ago reading where some nVidia users assumed that because nVidia wasn't at that time putting in bug reports in their driver releases, but ATi/AMD was, that nVidia drivers didn't have any bugs...;) That one was worth a sustained chuckle or two. Also, obviously, not all new games require new driver releases, etc.

20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the heads up Boss !