Black screen with Vulkan

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by UltraStars3000, Aug 26, 2018.

1. UltraStars3000

UltraStars3000 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX950M / 4G
    Hey everyone !

I'm here because I'm having an issue with RTSS and Vulkan. When I'm using RTSS with a Vulkan game, the game window is totally black with just the OSD and everything works again when I hide the OSD.
    [​IMG]
    This problem is only happening with Vulkan when I'm using my Nvidia GTX 950M. Everything works fine when I'm using Vulkan with my Intel HD Graphics 530 or even with the others (OpenGL/D3D) with both cards.
    I've even tried to use DDU, but I still have the same issue.

Thanks for taking time to read this :)

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Laptop GPUs aren't supported, they may work or may not.

3. UltraStars3000

UltraStars3000 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX950M / 4G
    Oh I see, I didn't know that (maybe I haven't read enough everything about the program)
    Anyway thanks for taking time to answer :)
    Have a nice day

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    No problem, and a nice day to you too!

5. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Having the black screen issue with RTSS and Vulkan / Wolfenstien 2 , latest Adaptive shading , update lock's up the game with Afterbuner on ,but off game runs fine.

6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

That's not black screen issue, please try to read original post before confirming "same problem". Wolf 2 seem to be different story and problem, just checked the last update and on my side the game just seem to hang right after dislaying intro logos and before displaying main menu. So that's some different compatibility issue. I'll investigate it.

HARDRESET likes this.
  7. Unwinder

Investigated it a bit deeper and found something interesting. Previously the game engine was presenting frames from compute queue in AMD codepath only, but with recent update it started doing the same for NVIDIA GPUs. That's exactly what is causing the issue with RTSS active, I've recently disabled forcible compute and graphics queues sync in RTSS due to massive hate from AMD users. You may reenable it and get it working via editing RTSS profile (.\ProfileTempalte\Global -> [RendererVulkan] -> change PresentFromCompute to 1), but keep in mind that it will eat a few percents of performance.
    I'll also slightly update RTSS to make it working without causing last patch of Wolfenstain II to hang when OSD rendering with presentation from compute is disabled on NVIDIA platform.

dr_rus and HARDRESET like this.
  8. Unwinder

Give this build a try:
    http://msi-afterburner.guru3d.com/RTSSSetup721.rar

It should not cause W2 to hang now on default config, but OSD will disappear in game as soon as it starts presenting frames from compute queue (i.e. right after entering main menu). But you'll see it during game load :)
    With PresentFromCompute set to 1 it should start working always, but with performance penalty.

AsiJu, dr_rus, HARDRESET and 2 others like this.
  9. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Thank you very much ,all is well and the performance penalty is a flea for my 1080Ti system .

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Try this, it fixed a similar thing on Kepler gpu's.

http://msi-afterburner.guru3d.com/RTSSSetup721Beta3.rar

As has been said, mobile chips are not supported by unwinder, so if it works good, if it doesn't too bad.