The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah I will confess that I prefer 4K @ max details but if it is a choice, I will always go with max details first.

I'm hoping these cards will give us 4K @ 60FPS across the board and they should with a ~40%+ FPS increase.

As an aside, 2080Ti pre-orders are sold out everywhere according to LTT.

Guess a lot of people are 'voting with their wallets' ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  2. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    I think they will do that. Even based on Nv GTX 2080 performance chart it looks to me like results are around 10fps higher than 1080ti.
    Counter Strike looks like that? Maybe I havent played CS for a while, but I think enlisted looks a little bit better ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pharma likes this.
  3. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Nvidia's pricing for the new gen cards is somewhat disturbing, i will not pay that kind of price to be honest but i suppose many will, as for Ray Tracing it does look really nice in the videos I've seen ,but to me i still don't think its worth that price for the 2080ti plus there's always the chance that Ray Tracing will become just another Nvidia gimmick a couple of years down the line

If AMD could get a new card out with better than 1080ti performance at a reasonable price they would clean up imo , something that will give the 4k users the fps they want .

Looks like im skipping the upgrade process this year and will be holding onto my 1080ti for sometime to come , this will be the first time ive not updated to a new gen

Dragam1337 likes this.
  4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Everyone saying ray tracing is a gimmick obviously doesn't understand what it really is.

yasamoka, LuckyNumber8 and pharma like this.

5. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    And did you when Vega came out?

LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I understand exactly what it is, I just mean that it is not really that relevant at the moment.

I'm sure when these cards get out into the wild, it will become far more prominent.

Maddness likes this.
  7. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Again Raytracing isn't locked to any brand either, RTX is of course locked to nvidia cards, I know, what i'm saying is that nvidia is the first one to accelerate this in real time for gaming thanks to RTX and yeah looks like the new physx because of that, but again raytracing as i said is not new tech maybe AMD comes next to accelerate raytracing with a free and not brand locked solution (or intel maybe in their new 2020 gpus? ) because again, raytracins is not invented by nvidia.

Just like i said AMD did first implemented tessellation on their cards, i didn't say amd locked tessellation on their brand, maybe nvidia is locking raytracing with RTX to their brand for now, but raytracing is not a gimmick and stand firmly to what i said first, "raytracing is the next big thing, just like tessellation was" because if you understand what raytracing really is, you will undertand what I'm saying

Maddness likes this.
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Raytracing isn't, but RTX is, and you can bet your arse that nvidia will only be supporting their own implementation of it, just as with everything else.

But just the fact that raytracing is absurdly demanding, and the fact that amd gpu's doesn't support raytracing (and they are powering all consoles), means that raytracing won't become the standard lighting solution any time soon. It will be a gimmick limited to highend nvidia gpu's on pc, just like physx.

9. SpookySkeleton

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    The realtime one that is locked by Nvidia RTX is the only one that's supported only on RTX 20 series, but any modern gpu support raytracing not for gaming or realtime yes, because is too demanding, bu people were using raytracing for years thanks to cuda or opencl https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ray_tracing_software, and YES of course amd doesn't support realtime raytracing because again, Nvidia is the first doing realtime raytracing, what i said is that amd (or future intel gpu) is probably to come up with a free and non brand locked solution for realtime raytracing, hence is going to be the next thing as tessellation and if you buy a RTX you will be first, not that amd currently supports realtime raytracing. How is this hard to understand?.

you are making me vervose every one of my comments

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Clearly you are the one who doesn't understand what i am saying... everything you are saying is COMPLETELY irrelevant, as amd could come up with the best imaginable open standard raytracing gaming solution, and nvidia still wouldn't use it... they will only use their own proprietary solution, as with everything else.

11. SpookySkeleton

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Well then yes, if you put it like that is like physx, yes i was being short minded about that, didn't remeber that realtime gaming physics (even tho mostly sucks) are done by the cpu some by gpu, but not as performance expensive as the ones done by physx , so yeah in that case you are very right sorry for the comments.

12. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    One can always wish that AMD comes out with something compatible technology at a competitive price, just to give the market options. But after the last series of AMD cards, I think the empire is safe.

13. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    RAY-TRACED RENDERING ACCELERATES TO REAL-TIME WITH PROJECT LAVINA

What is Lavina built on?

Project Lavina is written entirely within DXR, which allows it to run on GPUs from multiple vendors while taking advantage of the RT Core within the upcoming NVIDIA “RTX” class of Turing GPUs. You will notice that there’s no noise or “convergence” happening on the frames, which is thanks to a new, real-time Chaos denoiser written in HLSL that also allows it to run on almost any GPU. With this, we aim to eventually deliver noise-free ray tracing at speeds and resolution suitable for a VR headset with Lavina.

So, how much faster is it?

Lavina is already seeing a big boost from the RT Core on NVIDIA’s Turing GPU. How much of an increase is a little tricky to calculate right now because we don’t have a version that doesn’t use it. But, with some sleuthing, we believe we’re seeing about a doubling of performance beyond what the new GPU generation is already giving us – which is the equivalent of leapfrogging several years in hardware evolution. One thing’s for sure: the performance curve plotted by Moore’s Law just got a vertical stair step added to it, and Chaos is set to exploit it!

https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/ray-traced-tendering-accelerates-to-real-time-with-project-lavina

fantaskarsef and yasamoka like this.
  14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    it's really cool to see hardware product like GPU, bringing A.I. research product to mainstream consumer market like that. I'm really hyped for this new card generation and wasn't expecting that at all.

Regarding the 'raytracing' topic from earlier in the thread. Both AMD and Nvidia can use the newly added DXR module for Directx12 - DirectX-Raytracing.

It's been integrated to DX12 and both constructor can use it. Nvidia is just the first to put out a product using it.

Maddness likes this.
  15. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Any game developped with Unreal Engine 4.15+ (released february 2017) can use SLI :
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-4-15-released

BangTail and Dragam1337 like this.

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ok, well that's good to know although support is still nowhere near what it used to be and while the engine may well support SLI, I just went through the list of Unreal 4 games located here :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

And I could not find one that supports SLI (I could have missed one but just to make the point).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Raytracing is supported in the DX12 and Vulkan APis already. RTX is simply a hardware accelerated coprocessor, understandably so since NVIDIA's design doesn't support parallel processing as nicely as GCN does. AMD has Radeon Rays, and is already pimping that, utilizing GCN's architecture.

As far as the devs are concerned, there really isn't any proprietary API, as the ray tracing is being handled by the drivers and offloaded accordingly.

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    @Dragam1337

19. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Doubling of performance... with raytracing, which really isn't saying much, as performance with raytracing as seen so far, has been abysmal to say the least.

I am not against using raytracing, when we get to the point that the hardware can run it, without having to go from 4k 60 fps to 1080p 30 fps in order to run it. But that's the reality right now, and therefore i would much rather have had a 2080 ti with 30% more shader cores, rather than RT and tensor cores...

I for one think that the lighting solutions used in rise of the tomb raider and battlefield 1 are plenty good, and the games would have benefitted much more from being rendered at a higher resolution with better anti aliasing, rather than getting a new lighting system, that marginally improves the lighting.

Slinkyminx and BangTail like this.
  20. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Same, I would have much rather they had held RT back until it was capable of more than ~30FPS @ 1080P.

No matter how good it looks, it is a little bit of a step back where performance is concerned and let's face it, when you are running around like a maniac trying to avoid getting shot you don't always have time to stop and look at the fire reflection on a car door.

Dragam1337 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.