GeForce Hotfix Driver Version 398.86

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by khanmein, Aug 7, 2018.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Conversation was in specific about Gsync and stutter issues it causes.

2. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Got ya and one of many reasons I never got a Gsync monitor, too many reported issues along with price plus I can't be bothered by Vsync anyway.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Gsync works perfectly fine, has some hiccups here and there. For me, this technology is essential as its benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. But then again as you point out, for a price premium you should expect 0 issues like that over such a prolonged period of time.

But then again, companies like Apple get away with it, so do many others.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Have to agree with others there that despite the issues with G-SYNC and windowed/borderless windowed games (such as Unity Engines ones), that it is a godsend for me as someone who hates inconsistent framerates (framepacing issues) and screen tearing. Since moving from a 60 Hz display with 60 fps v-synced games to a 165 Hz display with variable up to 165 fps gameplay, it has been the most exciting thing to happen to PC gaming in a long time and makes gaming on consoles feel like stepping back into the Dark Ages! For the most part, G-SYNC works transparently and without me having to do anything other than enable it. It is a far-cry from the awful experience I had with SLI for example which requires so much tinkering to get games working that I vowed never to use it again.

Most of the issues with G-SYNC though seem (IMO) to be caused by Microsoft who seem to have a tendency to break everything these days (my ASUS PG279Q monitor's Turbo button no longer works for example and Groove after the last update has started showing newly added music as Unknown Artist/Unknown Album even though Windows Media Player, iTunes and MediaMonkey read the same files just fine!). I actually feel sorry for NVIDIA as these twice yearly updates for Windows with new versions of WDDM means that every 6 months something gets broken and Microsoft never seem to fix anything quickly, only really obscure bugs and ones for Internet Explorer (who even uses that these days)!

AsiJu, eGGroLLiO and cryohellinc like this.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I know what you mean, VEGA on paper was actually pretty good and they could of took a chunk of market share if they priced the V64 around the GTX1070 level and the V56 around the magic £200-£250 price range. That would of spurred on Nvidia to maybe drop prices too or release newer cards which they obviously have been sitting on for at least a year now. But alas, corporate greed kicked AMD in a nut sack and miners influenced retailers to make up the prices massively and AMD's inability to feed the market with enough GPU's the prices only increased even more.

I will 100% be waiting for the next AMD cards, my GTX1080 and GTX1070 (second PC itx build) will serve me right for 1440p desktop gaming and 1080p living room gaming for a while to come. VEGA 20 looks like it will be good, I just hope to god that the cryptocurrency market stays as dead as it has dropped to now or the rumours are true and AMD actually block mining at a hardware level for "gamer cards" and then released an "miners card" with unlocked mining features. I am not sure if this is possible, or people would probably just flash the firmware to unlock the cards.

AsiJu likes this.
  6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Next gen of both NV and AMD cards should be pretty interesting as NV is implementing ray tracing and adaptive TAA. AMD will likely (hopefully?) follow suite or have something unique of their own.

Been a while since new generation of graphics cards also meant completely new features.

Either way AMD needs to at least equal NV in performance while offering a more affordable card to properly compete. Especially in the mid to high performance segment (NV will most likely offer the fastest cards still).
    Vega 56 and 64 are cheaper than the NV cards they aim to rival, but also slower. Except it seems in Vulkan games but those are still rare.

Ofc would like nothing better than to have AMD have the fastest card on the market but we won't be quite there yet I believe with next gen.

7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Exactly. Micro-stutter used to be strictly used to describe what what happening with SLI and Crossfire with inconsistent time between frames or even runt frames causing a visual jitter even though frame rate appeared smooth. Thus was born the various frame timing tools AKA FCAT.

8. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    People just like to criticize Apple, mostly for no good reason. I swear it feels like they watched one of samsungs commercials and took it as a news broadcast asking them to take action. I also noticed that people are stupidly criticizing the new nvidia cards because they dont even understand what ray tracing is or that they can waiit for new mainstream cards, or just buy an exsiting lower end card... These insane behaviours seem to be happening more and more, and they sometimes even creep into the real world. I mean its going so bad that wolfenstein got called a SJW game because you kill nazis, wtf!?

9. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    seek help

cryohellinc likes this.
  10. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Lol thought my screen had a fault as my turbo button no longer works as well.
    .i agree with what you say. Gsync was also a game changer for me.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Amazing! Are you a SJW Apple product owner by any chance?
    Think Different!
    Here's a Wonderful channel explaining in detail why Apple, for the most part, is an overrated/overpriced junk.

evgenim and Vidik like this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Apple is garbage, and its only apple shills/fanboys that don't understand the critique.

Kolt, evgenim, AQUILES and 1 other person like this.
  13. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Oh great a youtube channel dedicated to bashing apple... certainly no agenda there...
    You can honestly do the same to any company if you focus only on their mistakes, but hating apple is the most profitable since they are the top tech company.
    Heres an interesting article https://www.cultofmac.com/172428/why-does-apple-inspire-so-much-hate/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  14. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Honestly grow up...

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    If you actually watch even several of his videos, its a repair shop and in Merica it happens to be that majority of stuff that breaks, and he repairs is from Apple. Apple is the most customer unfriendly company, and the rely on an army of loyalist zombies like yourself to keep them afloat. Hardware wise its trash, software is nice.

16. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Who are you comparing them to say they are the most consumer unfriendly company? Their hardware isnt trash either just because some random guy repairs mostly macs... You arent making any sense, I find this typical of people who blindly say apple products as a whole are trash. They occasionally make some bad choices, but more often than not they get things right more than any competitor seems to. People like apple products because they usually last longer than competition, usually have less problems, apple focuses on the user experience over making a product look good on paper and they have better customer support than most alternatives.

And if you are talking about mobile devices, apple actually does have the best and fastest hardware. Qualcomm cant compete with the socs apple are designing, look at the benchmarks for yourself. And here is an explanation https://www.androidauthority.com/why-are-apples-chips-faster-than-qualcomms-gary-explains-802738/

It all comes back to hating the company on top and every mistake they make becomes magnified. Personally I wont buy a another mac until they fix the keyboard, but here are some facts for you https://www.computerworld.com/artic...cbook-air-takes-laptop-reliability-crown.html

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Not sure if you are being super sarcastic, or I'm talking with an indoctrinated fanboy.

18. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    You are the indoctrinated fanboy using youtube videos as an argument just because of confirmation bias. The new macbook keyboard was a big mistake, but here are some facts.
    https://www.computerworld.com/artic...cbook-air-takes-laptop-reliability-crown.html

https://www.androidauthority.com/why-are-apples-chips-faster-than-qualcomms-gary-explains-802738/

do you have any facts?

19. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I never understood the love for Apple products. I can say without a doubt that (to me) Apple products are completely bogus and overpriced and in no way a good deal for any type of use. Usually this argument is reserved for the non tech savvy people arguing why their Macbook is so much better at doing "arts" than a windows laptop using the same Adobe software for a fraction of the price... so I'm surprised it's even a debate here haha. You can't tell an IT guy an Apple product is "better" when you are talking aesthetics, as aesthetics are usually the least of our concern (RGB lights and effects are cool and all, but actual performance on the part is more important for example). Apple products are seemingly designed for the un-intuitive or less tech savvy minded people who like shiny sleek cars, while most power users typically go for something with raw power and usability that doesn't hold your hand and refuse to let it go like Apple products do (walled in). I have yet to see a single thing that an Apple product does better than any of it's counter designs that are worth buying. I won't just count the fact that I play a lot of Direct-X games (or games in general).

In the IT repair workplace Apple products are even more of a nightmare due to how unfriendly they are to work on or to repair/replace parts. I've been in the IT repair and infrastructure industry for a while myself and my experiences with Apple is downright maddening. The fanboy-ism over their overpriced products even more so. I've been with a couple large enterprises that were Windows based but had those couple "designers" that demanded to use their Macs because of how much "better it was for designing". They used Adobe suite (Photoshop/etc) and Safari and that was about it.. yet we had tickets every week with them complaining about something being slow or not working right. The slow part was usually user error (surprise) or them expecting a Mac computer to be more than it is due to the crazy amount of hype their designer friends make about the Macs. The not working right part was mostly because they would complain that software that was released for Windows that wouldn't work or can't be used on their Mac... tough luck, should have stuck with the Windows machine the rest of the company uses.

As an IT guy I just don't see the value in Apple products especially when we are talking about computers. Even an Android is way more capable in terms of what you can customize and actually do than an iPhone.

/end of Apple dislike rant

cryohellinc likes this.
  20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I work in an office, full of apple junk that constantly breaks. I have the same issues as many others, so don't give me this crap response. That channel I linked is one of many, do some research on actual breakage amongst apple products, their repairability, how they treat customers, how they treat licensed "repair" companies e.t.c. Maybe then you will start to understand the bigger picture of this overpriced junk that you adore and love so much.

You are an indoctrinated fanboy who will defend Appulh regardless and keeps feeding money to them. I suggest you start to "think different".