New Intel EULA License prohibits benchmarks on new Linux microcode Patches

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Let's hope so. AMD needs the money to make competitive GPUs as well. Nvidia could raise the RTX prices so easily because AMD has nothing new to offer.

chispy likes this.
  2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Most likely if amd manage a come back to the very high end people will be happy and praise amd for the achievement because now they can buy nvidia cards on normal prices :( personally i always go for price perfomance ...i was eyeing a 580 really but literally was 100 euros more expensive than the 1060 6gb i got at the time .so it was a no brainer

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I think they are violating the fair use doctrine by doing this because in my mind benchmarks and benchmarking falls under fair use.

4. Sunesha

Sunesha Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 960 4gb ssc Evga
    You are right. I was referring to cause and effect of karma. Intel intentions and deeds in this case led to a very immediate effect. Therefore in a poorly attempt of humor I thought the semi popular expression, "Karma is a bitch" was fitting.

However if multi billion companies considered their effects of their actions from a broader viewpoint than their own interests. Mistakes like this would be easy to avoid.

Good ethics ground rules would help. I am now not thinking of platitudes like Google's "Do no evil".

Thanks for the correction. Got me to ponder about my own way expressing myself.

fry178 likes this.

5. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Jajaja this is good stuff

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Fair use is about using copyrighted work that you do not own in your own work. Benchmark results are not copyrighted work.

So it's not even about fair use. It's just BS some companies put in their EULAs. VMware is doing the same. If you use a VMware product, you are not allowed to run benchmarks and publish the results. In other words, the EULA prohibits reviews of the product.

Imagine if this was actually enforceable. Like NVidia or AMD putting such a clause in their EULA. You are not allowed to review/bench their GPUs. Unfortunately, the legal teams of companies who do put this kind of BS in their EULA are in a position to push the "little guy" (small sites) around with legal threats. Even if you are 101% in the right, you can't afford to go against them and need to comply because they have infinite money compared to you.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  7. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Patent trolling could be in same time legit..
    Whole these patents for instruction sets are abomination, if there is nothing like possibility for license it for everyone with some reasonable fee like max. 30% of selling price. I think that Nvidia and others would pay lots of money for x86 license but Intel simply refusing to sell it to them, because they are affair of real competition and we x86 users are total hostages of WinIntel.. If Windows would be running fine on ARM, or other archictures we wouldn't have to care too much about x86 and Intel, AMD etc..

Even that new Intels license was completely legit, in laws eyes.. but "only" was amoral like that x86 licencing practices..

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
  9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Patent trolling refers to random companies, owned by random nobodies, that never invented anything, going out and buying patents so that they can then extort money out of others. Many of these patents don't even hold up if they went to court (most fall under prior art.) But in some cases, the targets just want to avoid lawsuits, so they pay up.

This is not the case with Intel. They did invent the x86 architecture. It's not a BS patent that wouldn't hold up. It's legit. If you want to compete with Intel, invent your own instruction sets. Like AMD, ARM, IBM, and others do.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    fry178 likes this.
  10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Hay guise I have a new EULA which states you must all send me 102% of your income as offerings every month.

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    And i don't accept yours. lol.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Just like Warranty voided if removed BS that turned out to be illegal. Never new about VMware doing that kind of thing. Yeah a sad but true statement that the little guy cannot challenge the big guy because of $$$.

14. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I now this definition, but they are just doing other sort of patent exploitation what is sort of trolling too in my book. They can sell something and still control resales of already sold property its against open market, which is making capitalism working.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Duplicate post