G-Sync.... need some insights

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by robtorbay, Aug 21, 2018.

1. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    <Googles RTSS>
    Will that interfere with Shadowplay? They're both going to try to hook the game, no?

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I don't know. Just try it?

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I'm running AB and RTSS and I can still use shadowplay, if that's what you mean, it works like intended here.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Unfortunately my monitor doesn't overdrive to 100Hz which is why I had to settle for 95Hz.

I'll try -3.

So the issue was G-sync in windowed mode and not full screen? And what is the issue? Since WoW doesn't use Fullscreen anymore, just windowed I guess I would notice something.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Acer X34A

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I have same model but from Asus.

Why OC fails? Are you using a stock DP cable screen came with?
    Have you tried different cables?
    Can you hear coil whine noise from your screen?

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Why OC fails? : At 100Hz the screen blinks black whenever I move the mouse or do anything in Windows. This doesn't happen at 95Hz
    Are you using a stock DP cable screen came with? : Yes
    Have you tried different cables? : No
    Can you hear coil whine noise from your screen? : Yes slightly if the screen is very bright and the room is completely quiet but in normal day to day scenario, no.

I've read some on this topic and the answer is simply that not all screens OC to 100Hz. I have very little BLB and no broken pixels that so I think my sample is OK.

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You would probably get 100Hz if you tried a different cable but I could be mistaken as well.

10. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Thanks - I'll give it a spin.

In case anyone is wondering (I was at the time): I'm pushing G-Sync over a 13' cable (1440p @ 165Hz) without issue with this cable. I was honestly concerned that it wouldn't work.

edit - how do I enable the framerate limiter? Here's what I'm looking at (still pegging 165 FPS like this):

2nd edit - started working after a while.
    https://s8.**********/ypw860wnp/setting.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I could but those cables are expensive so it'd better work :)

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    @Netherwind
    It is, and everyone has BLB. I have mostly in the top right corner and bottom left. You can try the "push paper below the bezel trick" but I don't want to risk it.

Try a different cable, I'm using this one.

13. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    I would love to see an a/b video comparison of cables making a difference to overclocking monitors.

I previously owned an Acer x34a which also was unstable at 100hz, flickering quite badly so I had to lower it to 95hz. After reading around I tried 3 different branded cables, which made no difference. After contacting Acer, speaking over the phone to support and then to their senior technician, not once did either mention that changing the stock cable to another would help. I was told that some panels just wont overclock that high and its not guaranteed.

I picked up another x34a, and it overclocked to 100hz fine, I tested using the exact same cables from my first x34a, to find the cables made no difference.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    There's nothing wrong with my BLB so I won't try those tricks but a new cable is 20€ and we don't have much choice when it comes to cables, but we'll see. Might be worth it if I can return it :)

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Tried different cable but to no avail, at 100Hz the monitor still flashes, though differently from the other cable.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Is it a better quality cable in style of the one I linked, or similar to standard one?

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It's probably similar to the standard one.

This time I did some research, the one you linked is certified to 17,28 GB/s but the one I bought is certified to 21,6 GB/s
    https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/94329-Deltaco-DisplayPort-kabel-2m-Svart

So in theory, the cable I bought should be better than the one you told me about. It's possible to find yours in Sweden and it costs less than the one I bought.

cryohellinc likes this.
  18. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    In that case no need for a new one. I have a friend with a PG348Q and he can't get 100hz either, so I guess it's a bit of a monitor style silicon lottery. But then again, 95hz will be nearly impossible to distinguish from 100hz.

Netherwind likes this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm really fine with how the monitor runs/looks and as you say 95Hz vs 100Hz is almost impossible to distinguish. Thanks for your effort :)

cryohellinc likes this.
  20. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    Well fellas after doing some research as it appeared to be somewhat fixed but not quite what I was hoping for, I noticed someones comment that it might be a planning issue if your running multiple screens.

Funny enough, I was and I never thought about it but the issue started after I added the second screen. After removing the screen restarting the PC, everything seemed to be fine. From the minutes of looking online it appears that if your running 2 monitors of different resolutions you can run into those planning issues which is what was causing my problems.

Cheers fellas, appreciate everyone dropping a comment!

fantaskarsef likes this.