Nvidia Talks About Higher OC clocks on the Founder 2080 cards - also PCB Photo

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The way I read it this means higher factory overclock as in higher boost clock. Probably means not too much for manual overclocking...
    Interesting that they now can save some more power in low workloads (2D)

3. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    So Nvidia is grabbing AIB partners by the balls..... we need competition or this is gonna get worse and worse

4. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    At least they are not taking the p*** with their prices like Asus. I was all set to buy the strix but at £1499 on OC UK they can do one.

Went for the founders edition this time as it does seem they have made a lot if effort to improve the cooler compared to previous releases.

Mind you...at that price you would hope they would :D

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I won't be buying any of them until i see some solid performance in benchmarks. So far nvidia has only told us about how great these cards can do ray tracing. But they mentioned absolutely nothing in terms of FPS or benchmark scores etc.

Maddness likes this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    .....just like how their AIB partners will do so...and call it : OC EDITION

[​IMG]

7. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i believe anyone know that with bigger heatsink + more fan = lower temperature
    its no-brainer fix... and been AIB partners solution for years thus OC cards on the market

i guess this wont means anything... other than they ditch old-blower-style
    not even means cherry-picked (binned) chips for founder edition
    well they already did binning it, so there 2080ti - 2080 - 2070 and its not like better quality chips = instant better performance anyways... so yeah

8. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    So aside from color choices...what's the value of buying an AIB card over a Founder's Edition now that Nvidia is putting out cards with open air dual fan coolers? This feels like Nvidia is now looking to cannibalize their own AIBs and eventually cut them out completely. All they need to do is start offering water cooled versions of their cards at +$150 and the AIBs are trading solely based on their brand names.

This feels like preparation for Nvidia to take the whole thing in-house. I don't really have any strong feelings one way or the other on that, but it seems obvious moves are being made...

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If that's NVidia's plan, then I'm not a fan of that plan. Cutting out AIB cards makes the market less diverse & interesting, less choice, less competition too, less likely to get good deals, plus you don't get the choice of aesthetics. I hope AIB partners continue.

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    well, you would be considered pretty much brain dead if you bought one without seeing proper benches. Talk about stating the obvious.
    I hope your joking? Custom PCBs, better power phases, better cooling enabling lower temps alongside less noise. And seeing as many care about the visuals of the inside of their cases, matchy matchy also plays a part.

Nothing wrong with the FE, in fact kudos to Nvidia for coming out with a decent cooler for their cards but not seeing what 3rd party cards offer is a bit blind.

11. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Why anyone would pre order a card with no benchmarks out baffles me. I "suspect" that the new cards are not much of an improvement over the 10 series, and this is why they have given no information on actual performance. If you look at the actual specs on the cards, one could surmise a performance increase of around 10-20% over the 1080Ti (the 2080Ti), which is pretty nauseating given the 70% price premium over the 1080Ti

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Did you just "surmise" the 2080ti performance from a pure CUDA core number count analysis? Just wow.

13. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I'm not saying I want this to happen. I understand some people want all the options they can get - consumer choice - etc. I'm not arguing in favor of cutting out the board partners.

I'm saying I don't think the majority of people buying graphics cards will care about the differences you mentioned enough that they would be upset if Nvidia cut out their board partners. I'm wondering if Nvidia would potentially try to do that, and if it would be to their advantage (higher margins) to do so? Selling hardware direct has made a lot of money for Apple, Samsung, the game console makers, etc. I'm wondering if Nvidia would like to elbow out their partners entirely.

That might sound crazy, but it seems like now would be the time if they were going to make this move, given they have no competition in this space. Just look at what they've done with the pricing.

14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    And you could have ignored my post,. I bet you have loads of friends with that attitude.

15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You said you won't be buying one without seeing a proper gaming bench. I said you'd be pretty much brainless if you did.

Basically saying that you're not brainless because you're not preordering one. Now... what is it with your attitude?

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I would say that anyone who buys a £1000 gpu and doesn't care about every single bit of spec deserves to be burnt. No way in hell I would buy anything worth a grand without doing some research. Therefore, I don't buy crap.

17. blazngun

blazngun Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760
    There is absolutely no way that Nvidia would break from the AIB partners. Are we all already forgetting the Nvidia Partner Program? There is no way Nvidia could build cards fast enough on their own to keep up with initial demand for the consumer cards, as well as building all the Titans and Quadros for other markets as they currently do. When would they have time or resources for R&D???

18. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The cooler design makes me think of EVGA ACX coolers.

19. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    You're a little selective when it comes to remembering your insults i see. Whatever, keyboard warrior. Good luck pulling that crap in real life

20. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    what is amd solutions slash vega to clearance they cant even beat 1080? ill buy it $100 rebranding gcn terascale is disgusting when product can only play lowest quality like gaming laptop 2018 that could heat a small house. rx was a flop rebrand for 60 fps min at 1080 rez. i got a 570 it very weak i call this minimum spec for gaming all it is rebadged r9 285 and it still a space heater. only plebs left without tensor cores and RT cores; amd will have physx performance on new titles if developer favor nvidia sdks over their own. pretty sure unreal is the industry which look good but all very similar. Looking forward for benches amd cant even enable tessellation yet, and nvida claims 6x better performance over 1080 for complex computation like RT. that probably means you can turn it on but the fps hit at high rez and frame times still might be trash.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018