The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    The article says it was early code and not final. Ray tracing will be released at a later date as a patch. I got the impression these studios had very little time to actually implement the RTX features on these games.

I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff wasn't optimized at all yet. I guess time will tell. It would really shoot Nvidia in the foot if turning on Ray Tracing completely tanks your frame rate!

blitzo likes this.
  2. robtorbay

robtorbay Guest

GPU:
    ASUS ROG LC 6800XT
    I love where they are going with the RTX cards but until there is more power in the cores getting real FPS performance in game with ray tracing enabled is going to be limited to mid FPS (30 - 55) at 1080p! Hey its a new technology, just takes time to get it up to snuff. Were only now seeing a card that can actually deliver 4k at decent FPS, that is one huge step alone for now. I think I will be holding off till next generation before I entertain upgrading.

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    There isn't a lot of info about NVlink as it pertains to gaming but from what I understand, it does not require the game to support it and it also doubles the RAM (which SLI does not).

I won't say this is gospel, just the limited info I have gleaned from around different forums.

4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    As soon as this was announced yesterday I asked myself how well the frames would handle the ray tracing. Look back at my rant of poor performance with nvidia-specific features and then me being labeled someone that "must hate new tech and like 720p gaming"

Not at all. I like decent frames for $700. Ray Tracing, essentially, is helping take a step back and slow down the resolution race. I see it already. 1080p is already being brought up like "aw new tech, so that's ok". No. This is a billion dollar company. They had plenty of time, or, could have done a refresh line and held this off until the 3xxx series when they had it perfected. Nvidia always wants to push half-broken garbage out because people buy anything with their name on it and give them every excuse for why it doesn't work.

I read yesterday that current consoles have the ability to do ray tracing like this. At least the Xbox One X. So if I can ask without being completely BTFO, if consoles of the current age can do this, why is this a big feature deal for gpu's NOW? Like, can the 9xx and 10xx series also do ray tracing, but (cough cough drivers cough cough) it wont' work without a new shiny RTX card or what? Seems they're really putting alot into one feature selling their cards.

-Tj- likes this.

5. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    i figured the ti was added to the lineup due to them taking so long between generations. time will tell i suppose. course i just sold my 1080s and went down to 1 1080ti which was the best thing i ever did. instantly fixed several un-fixeable issues i had. going from surround to single display+accessory fixed the rest.

1080ti ape's everything on 1440p anyhow. I can wait another year or whatnot. greedy bastards. if amd's gpus "come up" anything like their cpus have as of late, and with intel getting in the game - nvidia might as well take it while they can get it i reckon.

cryohellinc likes this.
  6. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yah the 10xx series cards can do Ray Tracing but would just be rather slow to the point of being unplayable.

I remember seeing a demoscene graphics demo using DX12 that did real-time ray tracing and it dropped down below ~10fps on my 1080Ti. Not to mention the scene rendered was extremely simple and the lighting/shadows looked very noisy.

I can't remember the name of the demo and it's not on my PC anymore.. I deleted it after seeing how bad it ran.

7. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Yeah there's always that excuse, except it's the same for Battlefield V, and DICE (i talk form own experience) is amazing at optimizing.

Anyway i got leaked picture of optimized Ray Tracing
    [​IMG]

HandR, Serotonin, Maddness and 8 others like this.
  8. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    yea. could care less about pooled vram. ive saw very few (if any) games that will go over on current single gpu's available vram at todays resolutions.

What would make it infinitely more attractive is if it was a hardware solution not requiring developer support as we all know how that has potential to go, if it scales 100%, and if its truly viewed as one gpu aka alleviating issues like SLI breaking desktop capture for OBS etc. (the potential scenarios are many for this)

9. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Serotonin and BangTail like this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They aren't actually putting anything extra into it - which is quite funny. The INT8/4 performance is for inferencing on their deep learning AI cards - now they are using it for denoising here. The denoising process itself was created to clean up images from automobile cameras for self driving - improves the effectiveness of the models on the image. They changed some of the SM/ALU clusters to increase BVH speed, which is again is useful for collision detection in self-driving cars - http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/bvh/

Basically they used all the knowledge and hardware changes they are doing for deep learning/self driving cars to accelerate raytracing - that way they can sell a bunch of value-add features onto hardware they were already creating.

11. Hulk12

Hulk12 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 :D
    60 fps unabled at 1080p will be NORMAL on "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" game but this game seems to be optimized well because ~15 spp (samples per pixel) + denoised + 1080p are too heavy. Try 720p for 60 fps. :)
    At RTX enabled, GTX 1080 Ti without hardware(HW) RT core gets ~7 fps while RTX 2080 Ti with HW RT core will get 40~45 fps. ;)

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well, pooled VRAM and seeing it as a single GPU is essentially the same; being able to address both GPUs and memories, so I basically was talking about the same thing like you.
    Yes, without special adaption would be great but honestly... at this point and after Huang made sure to mention how close they worked with m$, devs, engine programmers etc. that there will still be no version of ray tracing that's not adapted to each architecture. We're still in the same situation as with DX11 and anything before.

13. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Will be interesting to get the full details on NVLink with the RTX cards. For many years I had Sli setups but stopped due to the support issues and general pain it could be at times.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    It's still crap. Even if it's faster.

15. Hulk12

Hulk12 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 :D
    Ok but I'll buy RTX 2080 Ti on christmas for prefer 60 fps@720p in long time - I'm not worried. :)

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    1080 at 2ghz? Just about every 1080 Ti will 2 ghz on air 1080, even more so. Granted as soon as you hit 70C or so you're probably going drop below 2ghz due to GPU Boost. But that's a temp thing. Most people I know run their 1080's easily at 2ghz or better.

yasamoka and Denial like this.
  17. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Mine doesn't like to run above 1960 mhz, unless i increase voltage, which drastically shortens their lifespan... so settled with running them at 1960 mhz. Didn't matter much though, as memory clocks are what matters for performance anyways.

Anyways just preordered 2 of these

https://www.komplett.dk/product/109...ikkort/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-x-trio#

Imo they would have been way better if they had dedicated the die space used for ray tracing cores for more shader cores instead... but it is what it is, and i want new gpus!

18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm disappointed with the RTX performance..1300 euros for 1080P sub-60FPS gameplay..But let's put aside the RTX, i'll buy the card if it's at least 40-50% faster than 1080Ti in non-RTX, otherwise i may end up with a RTX 2080 until 7nm.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti unable to run Shadow of the Tomb Raider with 60fps at 1080p with RTX On [UPDATE: Developers respond]

The developers of Shadow of the Tomb Raider have responded to the lower than expected performance of the game on the GeForce RTX 2080Ti when using RTX. According to them, the current build of the game features an early work in progress version of NVIDIA’s tech, and the final version will run better.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I would call it better If it can do AT LEAST min 60fps @ 1440p and even that is a bit weak.

Reminds me of ROTR perf and 980ti, it is barely 60fps+ with 2xssaa @ 1080p.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This.

-Tj- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.