NVIDIA #BeForTheGame - Watch the Gamescom 2018 Livestream

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Never saw a release like this. I remember 1080 release with DOOM footage and amazing framerates, now I saw some crap demos without any fps indication.

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Somewhat debatable and strongly depends on where you live. Cheapest 1080ti on OcUK is 669, cheapest 1080 is 479. Not sure which one is better value. the 2070 will be a fair bit cheaper than the 1080ti and perform on par.

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Did your magic crystal ball tell you that ?

We have no clue how these will perform, or even if they will be faster than Pascal at all in non-raytraced games !

Due to the fact that Nvidia didn't show ANY actual performance numbers during their presentation, NOT EVEN ONE SINGLE GAME showing fps somewhere in a corner ( Unreal 4 engine demo doesn't count ) raises some big questions on why did they hide such important information.
    The entire damn presentation was about the raytracing bs., and nothing about how fast these cards actually are in all the games of today that don't have raytracing yet.

I strongly believe these will only be 10-15% faster MAXIMUM than Pascal in current engines, making them a massive disappointment.

RTX = Really Terribly eXpensive

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I've said it over and over. The x70 usually launch with the performance or slightly better than the performance of the previous gen x80ti cards. That's what I'm basing my guess on. And yeah, maybe they didn't show any game performance because it was primarily a RT demonstration.

6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    But do you seriously believe that a card with 2304 CUDA cores would beat or match a card with 3584 CUDA cores?

7. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Wow, I had just finished watching 2 hours of the NVidia presentation! I'm impressed! It's a major architectural change like I thought it was going to be concerning the RT cores & Tensor Cores, and it looks like there's gonna be quite a few upcoming games that will be using RTX Technology (ie those RT & Tensor cores). Battlefield V is one of them, and boy did that look good with all the ray tracing reflections from explosions & fire - I think it does increase the realism, although I'd say it looks better in some scenes than others. I do think this will become a 'thing' in the future, that these RT cores & Tensor Cores will be leveraged in games.

In the presentation he didn't really talk too much about the 'conventional' processing power of the Turing GPUs in relation to Pascal, he just banged on about the huge increase in Ray Tracing power of the new GPUs, and his performance comparison slides were similarly just focused on the Ray Tracing side of things. Conventional Processing Power still matters though in circumstances where you decide to turn off the ray tracing effects in games, and as far as I know that is still an unknown. One thing is clear though, if you want to run Ray Tracing in your upcoming games like Battlefield V then you're gonna want to buy a Turing GPU. I'm not sure I can personally justify buying a Turing GPU when I haven't got to the end of my usage with my GTX 1070, and I do think the next GPU generation after Turing will be further optimised for this new world of ray tracing in games, so that might be the smart buy to wait for that next release. I'm not sure if curiosity will get the better of me though & I'll just grab a Turing, we'll see, probably not - also I'm a fan of 144Hz/144fps & I don't think any of the GPUs will do 144fps with Ray tracing turned on, that's my hunch.

Damn, the cooler looks good on the reference cards, reminds me of Audi styling somehow. But, the impressive part is that he said it was 5 times quieter than the previous NVidia reference cooler while having greater cooling power. I reckon these may even be better than 3rd party cards as a cooling solution, but yet to be seen. Dual fan & dual vapour chambers they are for the NVidia reference design.

All in all an entertaining 2hr show from NVidia, and I'm impressed with the new architecture, but I think it remains to be seen how much more 'conventional' processing power they have than the current Pascal cards - which will be the determining factor if you decide to run without ray tracing. Looking forward to the GPU reviews, which I'm guessing will be around 20th September, which is when RTX 1070 / RTX 1080 / RTX 1080ti is gonna be available in shops.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So ´ve been reading other sites about this so i can lol about all the comments about the crazy prices and between them there was some interesting comments that changed my idea about the ray-tracing aspects:

1st - there won´t exist a full ray-tracing solution only an hybrid one, meaning that developers are going to continue to use rasterization for almost everything and ray-tracing only for small parts to improve the visuals;
    2nd - game studios are developing games and patches to enable ray-tracing for every current/modern card even from AMD. The difference is that the 2000 series are going to be much faster because of the dedicated hardware. DX12 and Vulcan only;
    3rd - apparently developers are very interested in ray-tracing not because it looks better but because it´s much easier to implement that rasterization methods. The downside is the performance required. So ray-tracing may take off...

After realizing this facts i can´t shake a certain deja vu feeling about this, it reminds me of the story about tesselation...

Anyway, i hope guys with more knowledge than me can confirm or not what i wrote.

Biały Wilk likes this.
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Even that is under NDA.

10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Not to mention that clocks are fairly similar, or worse.

Also, assuming that something will happen in the future simply because it happened in the past is just silly.
    "Hey I won 1000$ at the lottery two times already ! It means I will keep winning at the lottery forever"

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That has not been disclosed yet. Likely in a week or 2-3, but that is guessing.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Of course, why not?

1070 - 1920 CUDA cores / 256bit memory bus
    980ti - 2816 CUDA cores / 384bit memory bus

1070 releases slightly faster than the 980ti

970 - 1664 CUDA cores / 256bit memory bus (cough)
    780ti - 2880 CUDA cores / 384bit memory bus

970 releases on par with the 780ti

It's been pretty standard for Nvidia lol

cowie, alanm, Vidik and 1 other person like this.
  13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Sure, we've been discussing lottery here all along, great argument, just wow.

14. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Are you sure you know the specs of old NVIDIA GPUs? it's not like has always been like this.

There's old GPUs with about the same performance and one of them has half the CUDA cores.

Even if it had a 3rd it doesn't matter, it's a different architecture so it doesn't even make sense to compare.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    According to JHH, theres a much improved cooling system thats dramatically more quiet ("one fifth" the noise levels of gtx1080ti).

16. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Jesus man, look at the clocks !! There's massive difference between the two, 980Ti was barely able to reach 1300Mhz (and that heavily overclocked) and had a default boost clock of 1100 Mhz, while 1070 can easily go to 1950 or more if lucky.

Clocks made Pascal as fast as they are, while for Maxwell it was the big increase in shader count, as well as higher clocks than previous gen.

Today this doesn't seem to be the case, as these new 20XX cards have same or LOWER clocks than Pascal, with a very weak increase in cuda core count.

17. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    First the complain was the amount of CUDA cores, now point has been made it's not about CUDA cores anymore and suddenly is core clocks.

Regarding clocks and CUDA cores its not that simple because the architecture is completely different.

alanm likes this.
  18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It's possible but just seems odd, dunno... the difference between the 2080ti and 2080 seem to be huge.... but watching the whole thing god damn does this launch look rather fishy.... we saw no performance charts, no performance metrics nothing.... Ray tracing looks cool, but not if i gotta pay 60-70% more for what could only be a 30% jump in performance.

Reckon this price jump is more to do with no competition than anything, AMD has zero answers in their GPU department which is a shame when their CPUs are doing so well now... just going to be an nvidia stack of cards for games and no reason for anyone to get AMD

19. evildave-

evildave- Guest

GPU:
    gtx 770
    It wasnt mentioned once that "architecture is completely different" for shader/cuda core. 0 reasons to assume cuda core is changed. New things are rays and tensors this time around.

One thing that i am thinking about - its possible that using rays for lighting and shadows may free up some cuda cores on those 20xx cards. So 2070 may be stronger than 1080, but still i doubt it will surpass 1080ti. It will definately be slower than BOTH 1080 and 1080 ti with rays off.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Sorry no, Kepler was that.. at those barely 1300mhy clocks.. most topped out at 1200mhz.

980ti can easily do 1400-1450mhz on avg and at that clock it's a 1070ti.

Loophole35 likes this.