NVIDIA #BeForTheGame - Watch the Gamescom 2018 Livestream

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Very strange that he only talked about RTX and not actual game performance increase.

2. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    It would have to be between 2-2.5x faster than 1080ti in about everything and I would have still issues to accept that price.
    All that 10x performance is just for raytraysing but in reality it will be likely just moderate increase in overal fps in most titles, unless you trow new raytracing on it.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It's probably not that huge in the traditional sense. But he doesn't sell cards with not advertising their new stuff. We'll see how that works.

4. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yeah man. Pricing aside, Ray-tracing! Well, a slice of it anyway. People must be de-sensitised to it, because not many people seem to understand how far we've come.

This is just the first gen of such hardware.

6. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
  7. Kaill

Kaill Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That makes sense.

Well, I was on the fence anyway about buying an RTX 2080 Ti, mostly because my current GTX 1080 Ti already runs everything well and I can't see anything coming out in the next six months that will require a new GPU. Of course, I *want* one but that's a different thing from *needing* one to run the latest games. In a way, the pricing has done me a big favour and made the decision to wait for 7nm Turing cards so much easier.

Does anyone think that at that pricing that the card should have had 16 GB of VRAM or even 12 GB? 11 GB and the same bandwidth as the 1080 Ti are stats that make it look like it should cost the same as that card in my eyes. Oh sure, the new card will be faster but then that's a given with any next generation of high-end GPUs.

9. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
  10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So 800€ for a 2080 and around 1200€ for a 2080Ti... Nvidia basically moved their price brackets up just like that making the 2080 the price of the 1080Ti and the 2080Ti the price of the older Titan... Greedy bastards!

I´m expecting an average 20% improvement looking at the specs...

11. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    I guess pricing sucks for those who could afford high end in the first place. I've payed around 600 euro for both 970 and 1070 so I'm used to it. Which isn't a good thing, but that's how it is.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Difference is, with Apple, they have a lot of competition and if you don't like their pricing, you can go and buy an Android, often a better phone for less money. With Nvidia, they have exactly ZERO competition on the market. So... yeah, they can charge whatever they want. Unfortunately. And you can blame AMD for this. Because the best they'll do next is a gpu that is 20% slower and costs the same. 6 months later. They've been this pathetic for generations now.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    At this point, NVIDIA have zero competition so they can price the cards at whatever they like. That's a very, very bad thing for the consumer as it limits choice. Owning a G-SYNC display (which comes with at a premium over FreeSync monitors) means that I am stuck with NVIDIA cards anyway, not that that is a complaint because I like G-SYNC. However, it does mean that there is no need for NVIDIA to compete on pricing; they are basically competing with themselves in the high-end market. AMD don't even offer a competitor to the 15 month old GTX 1080 Ti!

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    the 1080ti memory bandwidth is not even close to the 2080ti.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Physx, 3dvision, dx10, dx12, vr, and now ray tracing. I'm always going to remain cynical about gimmick of the year :p Also, you need win10 1803 and later for this to work and MS has a reverse midas touch lol.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    yep, and that's a shame. And hey, Nvidia know these 2080ti will sell out regardless of the price so they'll charge whatever they want. Such is the current market.

Everyone in their situation would do exactly the same, btw, we all agree on this, right?

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Not me, i would sell those cards cheap so all poor gamers could play their favourite games...

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Wait, so if you would be selling your car and you could get 1500 for it, would you sell it for 1000 because it would make the buyer happy? Come on, stop please.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I read articles every now and then about the PC gaming market growing. Sorry but these prices will be a major speedbump and are short sighted. You'll need to pay Intel and Nvidia alone $1000 at this rate for a good gaming PC?

20. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Time will tell if it sells out.

There's no actual FPS numbers, and the mentions in performance are regarding Ray Tracing, so useless.

It might be 10 times better in RT and only perform 10% better in actual FPS.