Joled wants to develop OLED gaming monitors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Manufacturer Joled entered into a partnership with an e-sports team in an effort to develop OLED monitors that are optimized for e-sports. The manufacturer is currently producing a 21.6 "-4k pa...

Joled wants to develop OLED gaming monitors

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Cool, but they need to prove to me 100% that the burn-in/IR problem is resolved for at least a 5 year period. Pretty amusing that they chose the team named "Burning Core" to pair with too.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Optimized for esports? How about gaming OLED monitors that are not "optimized" for esports first? It's not like we got the gaming part of OLED monitors nailed down right now, and need to start optimizing them for esports.

Solfaur likes this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't want to question LOL esports by itself, but is that kind of game really setting any bars in terms of you'll have to manufacture panels / monitors for "LOL-kind" esports? :D

Solfaur likes this.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Why amounce this now with no products? Are they needing some financing or something? What they are trying to do should be possible but it isn't easy they will have to make damn good panels, have a good image processor, and good logic on the software side. If LG / Sony / Samsung / Dell haven't pulled this off I have serious reservations for JOLED doing it.

MiniLED is coming very soon which should get the backlight upgraded on the LCD panels to have very near OLED contrast ratios. I just don't see OLED catching on for computers regardless of gaming or not.

6. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    That sounds exciting, but LCD tech has light bleed issues. If you just shine a super bright light behind the panel to highlight a flame or something, the surrounding areas will wash out and lose detail. Per pixel luminosity control is the only way to get this done properly. How many mini LEDs are needed to properly light up a night sky with lots of stars? Exactly 3440x1440. That's how many :D

tunejunky, wavetrex and Noisiv like this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That would be micro-LED then. One LED for each pixel. No idea when that's coming :p

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    The tech is already functional, but the yields are abysmally poor.
    That is probably because LED's have very thin wires in them to carry current on top of the die, and when you scale it down, the wire becomes so incredibly thin it's easy for it to fail.

Only TSV (through silicon via) LED chips can solve this, and we already know how difficult and expensive that is with HBM. Oh, and those memory chips don't heat up to >100 degrees Celsius like a full brightness LED.

It's complicated !

tunejunky likes this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

they are using Additive Manufacturing (3d printing) unlike everyone else.
    and this announcement is fluff that will fit inside their prospectus for investors...which is what this is all about.

and btw... i use my LG 55" oled for gaming all the time. the one thing it's "missing" is adaptive sync.
    and of course, with the current crop of oleds you have to watch for burn-in. but since i started in computers on monochrome screens, no big deal.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Moonbogg
    not so much when you introduce a "mask" in font of the leds.
    not perfect, but works, and allows the use of leds with higher brightness (than oled).

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Burn in on all OLED phones that cost a grand is a sign that OLED still isn't ready for long term use.

I doubt we will ever get affordable panels with high refresh that use OLED.

fry178 likes this.
  12. JAMF72

JAMF72 Member

GPU:
    Rx480/ 8GB
    2021 or 2022, that's when new manufacturing tech will influence prices of OLED, by reducing manufacturing time by more than half. Until that time, small improvements will lower prices incrementally.

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    price is irrelevant for most that care about image retention, which is still an issue...
    would you want a 100$ oled when you start seeing burn in of any text (in games) that would stay on screen if used for merly hours? doubt it.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    This seemed to have been solved for displays where rolling scan is acceptable (CRT-like scanout, with the flicker to go with it.) This makes it completely incompatible with VRR though (g-sync/freesync) and you get more and more flicker once you drop below 100Hz.

Dell produced such a monitor a while back (now discontinued.) It cost about $4000 though. But it did have CRT-like motion clarity. It certainly blew LCD strobing (ULMB and such) out of the water.

I was hoping for rolling scan OLED tech to get further developed, but it seems it was abandoned.

15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    OLEDs with at least three-year factory warranties on the displays, or no sale--I'll buy something else.