Is this the GeForce RTX 2080 Founders model?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The rumors and leaks are ongoing and from the looks of it, NVIDIA is going to need to have a chat with their partners. A new photo just leaked onto the web, it seems to be a partial screengrab from a ...

Is this the GeForce RTX 2080 Founders model?

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    if so, be good to see they sorted out the abysmal blower to an extent.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wait and see. 8h10m to go.

4. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Just magnificent. I am salivating...

8 hours to go. Hours are looooooonnnnggggggggg

5. strike

strike Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Founders
    B-but the GEFORCE RTX logo on the side is upside down? Fake news?

6. oxidized

oxidized Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6G
    Wow this shot is pretty.

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For promotion & marketing, I'm pretty sure the artwork designers know how to rotate a logo so people can actually read it.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Looks nice but why would they go with a dual fan design when the Titan V and Quadro don't require two fans to cool those cards adequately?

9. igorfiuza

igorfiuza Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 8G WC
    For me, it's now confirmed that everything shown so far was fake.
    If the coolers are actually positioned this way (which I wondered my entire life why they weren't turned up as default since the 6800gt Era), all we've seen were mere speculation.
    This cooler positioning means the chip and all of the other stuff are on the "backside" of the PCB.
    Since gpus became a decorative piece on gaming PCs, I have always thought /tried to turn it in ways that I can actually show it off at first sight.
    Looks like Nvidia was thinking much like me.

10. igorfiuza

igorfiuza Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 8G WC
    BTW... This is what I call "reverse engineering" :D

11. igorfiuza

igorfiuza Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 8G WC
    Wait.
    It got me thinking now...
    For AMD systems, no problem. Can't really say the same for most Intel boards.
    AMD's first PCIx slots are x1, the x16 coming right below. On most Intel boards you'll be forced to use the second x16 slot, which in the vast majority, is limited to X8.

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Don't keep your hopes high, I've seen dual fan designs which look and feel like the high end type which perform actually as bad as the bottom-of-the-trashcan blower type nVidia make (looking at you Gigabyte). When it comes to reference design cards from either company I always expect the worst because that's literally always been the case. If this one time it's any better than a leaf blower glued onto an aluminum foil sheet from Walmart then it's just a pleasant surprise in my book.

insp1re2600 and tunejunky like this.
  13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What are you talking about? The last 3 Intel motherboards I've owned have a x1 first and then the first PCIe x16 slot.

Noisiv likes this.
  14. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    It's a combination of wanting to run high enough clocks for a decent performance gain when the chip is just idiotically big, running tensor cores on the side and just plain old binning increasing the (gaming) TDP. Suddenly you find yourself in need of a bigger cooler...and apparently Intel wouldn't pick up the phone...

15. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    PCI Express cards are a standard. They are all built the same way for a very good reason (hint : Compatibility).
    Just deciding to go against EVERY other manufacturer out there, and put all of your Chips and cooling on the backside, would not only relieve you of your PCIExpress certification, You'd automatically lose one slot on your motherboard.
    Seriously, either look up about the PCI Express specifications, and card specifications, or Google it.
    Also, if you hadn't realized by now, its up to the motherboard manufacturers to put what slots where they want. Any make of motherboard could have a x1 or a x16, or anything in between, as a first slot.
    If all the AMD mobo's you have seen have a x1 slot first, thats a coincidence. ;)

I'm sorry to sound all negative and all, but the "negative knowledge" you just posted should not have been posted. Seriously read up a bit more about the PCI Express, and Motherboard technologies.
    Teach yourself :) You'll learn better.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
    For Motherboards, i would go through the history, starting with AT. Just see how far we have come since the Socket 5, Super Socket 7 (Yaaaaaaaay), and up to todays sockets.

edit : Was being too harsh, changed crap to "Negative Knowledge".

16. JulianBr

JulianBr Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    I think he just refered to that render of the card (looks like it facing upwards and not the standard downward. Anyway, I think the render (if real) is made this way just for marketing. Would be weird if the turned it upside down.

Let's see what they bring to the table in a few hours :)

17. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I understand that the image may be misleading, but that is a far cry from saying that they could put the GPU and cooling on the backside of the card, because they just can't!! :)
    I think the main reason for the cards being "Face down" (in a tower case setup) is so that dust doesn't naturally "Fall" into the fans, the air is sucked upwards and into the heatsink.

On Topic : If this is a founders card, the dual fan setup might be because the TDP wouldn't allow a Blower style cooling, without it being too loud.
    The TDP's have gone up with respect to the 1080Ti, and especially the 1080 (if this preliminary info is correct.).
    I mean ~250W for the 2080Ti, and whats looking like 220-230W for the 1080 ?

Still faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from Vega TDP's, but it will be interesting to see the reviews (hopefully this afternoon/evening ?)

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    People on Nvidia sub were saying the TDP is going to be 280w because you get +30w from the VR Link connector. Doesn't make sense to me that would affect the thermal design power of the GPU but I figured I'd toss that out there.

19. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I'd heard that the stated TDP included the 30W for the VR Link. :)
    So ~220W for the Ti, and ~190W for the 1080. TDP should cover the entire board power, not just the dissipated heat.
    Seeing the size of these Chips though, it could be that Nvidia is taking a page from Intel and AMD, and only stating the TDP at Base Clocks, and not at Boost....
    They might overclock, but with a chip that large, it will heat up very quickly.

i also think the fan blades on that render look very steep, as if they needed to move a lot of air ? Or is that just me ?

20. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    Hmm... if the Founders Edition has dual fans, it means its hot which will be "hot fix" by Nvidia probably next year so... coming from a 1070 FE, I think its safe to skip this series and wait for the next one.