Three new vulnerabilities in Intel processors discovered - L1TF

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Jeez,Will it ever end? at least it seems like virtual machines again are only affected

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Nope. It says that even virtual machine isolation is not going to protect your server.

4. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    2017 and 2018 has been a couple of rough years for Intel.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Processors with Windows XP level of security and removing features from the i7 ... bleh. Patches were included in yesterday's Windows Updates afaik.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    It will with a new security focused architecture.

The issue is that entire current architecture prioritized performance over security. Predicting all potential exploits is impossible and patching them involves breaking stuff the processor depends on to be fast. This is a lose/lose proposition.

Intel's own Optane and VROC tech are some of the biggest victims. These both have 25% or greater performance hits from these ongoing patches.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Saw this yesterday, another day, another vulnerability. I just couldn't be bothered anymore. Just hope that future architectures will be more security focused and maybe big companies will realize that is better to release when it's ready, not when suits the company or the shareholders.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand on a machine with high end component Optane bring almost nothing in real condition despite being a "revolution" on paper...

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not only for Intel, for AMD too despite being less in number they are still not solved, and some ARM maker too...
    The most complex the CPU is the more chance you have to get a vulnerability.

10. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    The bigger they are the harder they fall.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Life is nothing without death. That simple truth's been forgotten from time to time.

12. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Not really. The stock price has dropped less than a percent as a result of these news and the company is generating excellent profit. So, the flawed CPUs sell the same as ever. Security doesn't seem to be a priority for pretty much anybody.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I guessed the meaning behind "TF".

14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I have not found that to be the case although Optane is only really useful in cases that Intel does not support.

The 58GB 800P combined with a SATA SDD at the 2TB level is more than 100$ cheaper than a 2TB EVO and is also much faster.

Intel does not support this configuration though for reasons that they wont even explain.

I have a feeling that part of the reason Optane had such a rocky launch was that it was pushed up to help ensure that people see Intel as innovators after AMD delivered some amazing CPUs.

Optane could have been a killer product but the price, annoying form factors, hoops to jump through just to use it and low capacity all stood against it. Its a great technology that came to market doing everything wrong.

15. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    when it start designing security-focused-architecture
    i think it will hard to give performance increase that most people been asking for every new generation

probably it even opposite
    to create secure computing, it will taking lots resources, lantecy etc. imo
    start with encrypt/decrypt... then probably wiping-traces... i believe its not stopping in there, it need more

then when intel releasing it, promoting it by saying the "most secure CPU ever made" .... but people seeing it perform so bad in benchmark... i bet not many people will put interest in it

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm pretty sure most of these vulnerabilities were honest mistakes. Intel has barely done anything noteworthy since Ivy Bridge, so when you consider the vulnerabilities of modern hardware, they've had plenty of time to fix these issues (assuming they were aware of them in the first place). Intel is losing the interest of shareholders every time one of these vulnerabilities is revealed, so obviously if they were actually rushing anything, that has clearly backfired.
    To put it in another perspective: their 10nm fabs can create working products, but don't yield enough good results to be usable for the mainstream market. Every half-year they hold this back, it makes them look worse (and affects shareholders). So, although I think Intel has been underestimating AMD and taking advantage of their customer loyalty, I don't think they're deliberately being negligent.

17. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I just get this feeling EPYC on 7nm is going to have a lot of momentum in data centers due to bugs like this one.

18. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    yep, saw these patches drop yesterday in a cumulative update

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, can't wait to build my next rig, and it probably won't be Intel based. This constant update patch fix thing is getting on my nerves... makes me want to make a tin foil hat again also.

20. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I hear ya, I have envy of the 2700x build i did for my fiancee, while she sits there playing theme park world on it. :(

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.