PC hardware to get extra 25% tax due to US China Trade-war

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    My handle isn't HeavyHerpes. The last thing we need is more immature insulting punks on GURU3D. I don't know you and you have zero reason to even address me never mind with such crap. Go away, loser.

Silva likes this.
  2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    My bad...missed your warning...but enough is enough from a certain few,

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Trump is good from a buissness point of view,he knows how to make money.My opinion not a good idea to start a terrif war with China. Hope we win course

4. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    Chinese already charge 25% tariff on US imports. The US charges something like 10%. The new tariff is only levelling the field.

5. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    This thread if fake news. Here is the list of goods receiving tariffs and PC components are nowhere on the list.

Actually most goods coming from China had a 0% tariff on them prior to the United States finally electing a President with the cajones to say enough is enough with these horribly one sided trade deals. The EU, Canada, Mexico, China, and pretty much every other nation on the globe charges tariffs on US goods sold to them, while few, if any of these countries have their goods taxed as they enter the United States. Thats not free trade. That's idiocy. All these idiots in the media constantly railing on Trump for this and just about every other smart decision he's made, by publishing fake news like this story, are destroying what little remaining credibility they might have and they will pay the price as viewers, subscribers, and listeners wake up to the reality that they were lied to... for political gain.

As for the so called 'trade war'... China had to publicly retaliate to save face and even admitted the other day that their response was an emotional one, not becuase it made business sense. Just like with the EU, China will come and negotiate behind closed doors so they don't look like they rolled over. I highly doubt they'll go much further than this considering how fragile their economy is after such a long time of massive economic growth. It's kind of hard to hold the line in a trade negotiation where its so clearly favorable to china.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    True, but that stability has mostly been maintained by military might and bullying rather than having a functioning economy backing it up. Cracks of that power slipping have been showing increasingly over the past years ;)

Onto the original subject though, even if taxes were to go through, companies will likely have to adjust their margins. While they of course could pass on all taxes to us consumers, it'd likely hurt them more than paying some of the taxes out of their own pockets.

Either way, we'll know soon enough. I for one would not be paying any higher of a premium than they're asking for with current MSRPs (ignoring mining hype train), as I consider them to be fairly optimistic already. RAM being the worst offender of them all.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Printing more money is quickly wiped out by inflation. Germany tried that after WW1. A loaf of bread ended up costing over a 1,000,000,000 marks and their economy collapsed.

8. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Woohoo Political debates

Solfaur likes this.
  9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Kiss my ass you and whoever agrees with you. You are nothing but dust and data. Morons. I have any right to state an opinion.

If not they can ban me I am bored with some peoples attitude here in multiple threads. Guru3d went down way. Only articles kept top notch. Good bye I can't feel like it here.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    In before close. Second coffe of today gone after reading this thread.

Horrible thread ending in a political debate that changes nothing about things. Everybody's pointing fingers. @airbud7 , let's have some beers, way more useful way to spend time than this.

Solfaur and airbud7 like this.

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Maybe the US will start to produce electronics again, that'd be interesting. Probably not, though. It'd still be way too expensive.

12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    well lets put factory / manufacturing machine aside
    what causing china produce most goods nowdays is low labor cost

many south asia country labor also low, but seems most prefer china for stability-wise and some other reasons

if US people willing to get paid like in china, it will tons on made-in-usa nowdays imo
    i know is not as simple like i said, as many things involved, such as currency also matters to daily cost and so on

japan on other-hand trying to revive MADE IN JAPAN, but never can produce as bulk as china factory
    so instead they make it for premium-line/models only

in the end from what i see, country with more man-power (young age population) = Wins
    but then when other country start waging more-population it will causing more issue than now

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ignore political comments and add people who spread political non sense to ignore list. There is no helping. Echo chamber been successful for them.

You not talking sense to these people, right?
    Yes, cause its lost cause.
    Screw echo chamber. Screw politics and people who cant keep their opinions to themself. Screw me for losing a nerv.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ah, and for topic itself, Usa brought it on itself. This thread was about politics from the beginning.

Cant think of anything of value to add.

15. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Its not this simple, and big companies and investors are AGAINST Trump's trade war because they know they will loose money. These companies manufacture their own stuff in China so the US tariffs will also affect US companies importing their own stuff to the US. Current kind of situation is actually beneficial to developed countries. They base their future jobs on knowledge and education - things which pay well. This will just shift the focus to generate low-income factory jobs in the US in expense of high-income jobs and education.

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    What's your degree on, Sr.?

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    common sense! ....you don't tax me...I won't tax you.

easy as that.

Mat likes this.
  18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    [​IMG]

Silva and Brasky like this.
  19. Leiska

Leiska Guest

GPU:
    HD 7950
    Seems like we have a lot of guys like this talking about tariffs as if they were a tool you employ against people of other nations, when in reality they are a tax on your own people.

When another nation imposes tariffs on goods from your country, the correct response is not to in turn tax your own people in some bizarre reach for fairness, as that would just be shooting yourself in the foot for no reason. If you have a large trade deficit, it means you're trading your made out of thin air fiat currency with near zero intrinsic value for real goods and services. This is actually a great deal, even if it's not sustainable forever.

A tariff is essentially a wealth transfer from the larger economy into a specific sector of it. For example, a steel tariff protects your domestic steel industry at the cost of everyone not working in the steel industry. Everyone else pays more, steel workers and companies are better off. More employment opportunities remain in the steel sector, but all unrelated sectors lose jobs because of higher input costs rippling through the economy.

Trump doesn't understand economics, or at least pretends to, but then again that's nothing unusual. Harebrained economic policy has always been an easy sell in politics no matter where or when.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    That doesn't really make sense... you can't go at war with banks, you can't just bomb your debt and expect those numbers to go away, and most of the US's debt is either to itself or to allied countries.
    Furthermore, to my recollection, the largest expense in the US's budget is the military. I know wars are often profitable, but I question how true that remains to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.