Review: MSI Radeon RX 570 and 580 MECH 2 8G OC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we review the MSI Radeon RX 570 and 580 MECH 2 OC with 8GB graphics memory. This all-new two slot cooled mainstream graphics card series will allow you to play your games in both the Full H...

Review: MSI Radeon RX 570 and 580 MECH 2 8G OC

2. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    A new model of a 1 year, 4 months old graphics card... o_O

3. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    These are supposed to be replacing the Armor series right? What % is the fan speed when under full load? In my experience the Rx 580 Armor series did not keep up with the heat very well unless the fan speed was manually set to ~70-80% or higher.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    my 480 does ok ...I need to clean it/ 3 years old...[​IMG]

Mat likes this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    A pretty good verification to the general belief there won't be new consumer Radeon GPUs any time soon. Otherwise MSI (or anyone) wouldn't have wasted time in rereleasing an old video card.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Same thing happens with most Pascal variants.

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah it is a bit of a weird situation. Course the GTX 1070 came out June of 2016 and it still being sold as viable is a little silly too. The upgrade cycles have been extended a good bit and I blame mining for most of it. Some of it is new process and a desire to get on 7nm.

8. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    You may be right, but MSI introduced this series because they sold themselves for the GPP and ASRock is a brand new name in the AIB market.

9. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I might be wrong, but if this is the result of GPP, then this should be replacing the GAMING series, not armor...

10. Mat

Mat Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 2g CF 1050/1300
    I honestly just want someone to release something soon!, not so I can buy it!, so that I can get a very good ultra settings 1080p 60fps card on the cheep!!!, I'm quite happy with 1080p 60fps, I just can't and will not pay over the odds for what's on offer at the moment..... :mad:

11. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Yeah, I think you may be right there. The gaming series coolers were/are very good and these look like they are more similar to those in performance then the Armor series.

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Yeah, same here. It's absolutely absurd that a RX 580 is still 25-50% more today (on the new sales that pop up here and there) than what I paid for a RX 480 almost 2 years ago.

Mat likes this.
  13. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    It's more like 'Meh', these cards are slower than 3 year old nVidia cards.

Miners might be instereseted, though.

14. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The 980 ti was a $650 card. The RX 580 8GB was launched at $229(though sold usually for more)

Can't really compare the two. If we're gonna go that route, the 1060 performs lower than a 3 year old Nvidia card, the 1070 only performs marginially higher than a 3 year old Nvidia card, which I could understand if the 580 performed lower than the 970 or even the 980, but different price point cards. You can't really compare the two.

Mat, airbud7 and Embra like this.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    to think that the rx 580 saps power around the same as gtx 1080 is very disheartening.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is nothing new for AMD cards. AMD cards even before when it was ATI were always power hungry. The only series I think that Nvidia had that drew more power than the AMD/ATI offerings were Fermi cards, but people still bought those and didn't complain.

Really most people buying gaming PC's don't look at this. People that are new into PC gaming and don't really know how to look at this won't really care either.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. hfm

hfm Guest

GPU:
    GTX 675M 2GB GDDR5
    I was considering this for a cheap stop-gap 1080p card in a Razer Core X that would work with both a Windows ultrabook with a new 4-core 8550U and also a Macbook Pro 15.. both with 4-lane TB3. I could get an nvidia 20 series somewhere down the road, hopefully by then Apple might have seamless nVidia eGPU supprt in OS X without hacking.

I can't find this card for sale anywhere though. I really like the fan noise levels in this review.