Should I get a PC soon with gtx 1080Ti and upgrade the card in several years?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MikeR, Aug 6, 2018.

1. MikeR

MikeR Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780Ti 4 GB
    Please excuse the newbie questions, I haven't had a gaming PC since 2002, Pentium 4 w/ GeForce 4 Ti.

So I'll have enough money for a new pre-built gaming PC in September, should I go for one with an i7-8700K and gtx 1080 Ti ? I know Nvidia is bringing out the 1180/2080 w/ GDDR6 pretty soon. I'm not expecting a new Ti card for probably another 9-10 months (late spring/early summer 2019). I'd like to be able to game at 1440p with games maxed out and even some games at 4K with high settings.

I also understand that Intel is bringing out the i7-9700K (8 cores, 8 threads) and the i9-9900K (8 cores, 16 threads) sometime in October. I'm thinking the i7-8700K (6 cores, 12 threads) is still going to be fine for at least a few more years, and even the gtx 1080 Ti.

I'd like to be able to play Metro Exodus at 60fps in February, even if that is at 1080p or 1440p.

My budget is around $2100 and I'll make sure to have a PSU rated high enough (750w) to cover future upgrades, but won't be doing any major overclocking or SLI.

I'm thinking a PC in that range should be able to play current and 2019 games well, and by the time that Cyberpunk 2077 and next gen consoles (PS5, next Xbox) are out in 2+ years, I can upgrade to a future gtx 12 series card with Nvidia's 2020 architecture on 7nm.

Again, please forgive my stupid questions.

2. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    i'd certainly wait now as a lot of interesting hardware is on the horizon, sure a 1080ti and an 8700k would last a few year alas at 1440, not so much at 4k, but why have old tech at the sake of waiting a few months?

also consider ryzen, itll last longer with the higher core / thread count. as well as a non k cpu to save a few bucks if you dont plan on overclocking.

what i7 are you currently using? the 780ti still isnt a bad card either, but i dont recall a 4gb one as your sig states.

3. MikeR

MikeR Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780Ti 4 GB
    I just put that in 780 Ti in when I signed up for an account to post.

I don't currently have an i7 or a gaming GPU. I'm wanting to get back into PC gaming within a couple months.

I guess I could wait for both the gtx 1180 and i7-9700K to be out, which apparently launch in September and October, respectively, if reports are true.

I know Nvidia is slated to unveil the new cards on August 20th, but will a gtx1180 / 8 GB GDDR6 card with maybe 20-30% more performance be worth it over a 1080 Ti with 11 GB GDDR5X? I was thinking I should just get a PC with a gtx 1080 Ti soon, and not upgrade until at least an 1180 Ti next year.

4. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Just wait until you are actually going to purchase it. Who knows what things will be like at that time.

airbud7 likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I too think you should wait, since you said in September you'll have the money for a prebuilt system, and there you should really get the latest stuff. Not so much the CPU but the next GPU will probably make it worth to wait a month or two, especially if you don't plan to upgrade for some time. 1440p gaming is easily doable with a 1080Ti, for 4K I'd definately wait and check out what comes around when Nvidia releases their next cards (which, officially, we don't know when it's going to happen, but it's an educated guess to say it's going to be in the next months, at least some real information).

I guess building your own rig to be a little more flexible is not really a thing for you?

6. MikeR

MikeR Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780Ti 4 GB
    Okay, you guys convinced me to wait. I'll likely go for either Core i9-9700K or 9900K and GTX 1180. It'll be easier to upgrade the GPU, and probably won't do that until Cyberpunk is out.

I've never built my own rig before, it's not really something I think I can do without a lot of help.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I think you will be able to play Cyberpunk when it comes out, both with a 1080Ti as well as a 1180, it's just a question of resolution and settings. But you'll produce playable framerates one way or the other (so not sure you'd need to upgrade with a 1180). Still I'd say waiting a month or two for the 1180 might just make sense as it definately lets you postpone any GPU upgrades you might consider in 2019 (unless you want to go 1180 TI).

Well, we're here to help, if you got questions ask. :)

8. MikeR

MikeR Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780Ti 4 GB
    Exactly.

I think if I go with the 1180, I can hold out until the 12 series Ti card, even if that's 3 years away.

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Why pre-built.

10. Mat

Mat Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 2g CF 1050/1300
    Building a rig is very easy, just watch a few youtube videos on it, ask here if need be, this is what this forum is for after all, just build it yourself, it really is quite easy you know, give it a go! :D

JaxMacFL and airbud7 like this.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This^ ...a lot cheaper too with much better components.....The pride factor is cool to..:D

heck with a $2100 budget like you got no telling what these folks will come up with! ....it will be better than any pre-built I tell you that.

JaxMacFL, insp1re2600 and Mat like this.