New Roadmap says Core i9 9900K in September, the rest in 2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. silapakorn

silapakorn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 SC 4GB
    I'm glad that last year I decided to skip 8700k and stick with my 2600k. Soon it'll be time for real upgrade.

3. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    actually if you still plan to use intel can't see how. maybe zen2...

4. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Silly argument. You could keep skipping gens and always be happy. Very happy with my 8600k, but in 3 gens If I upgraded I could also say "oh I'm glad I waited for x " You realise how silly it sounds?

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Waiting for Zen2 results to finally upgrade 2500k here. Sandy Bridge does show age when trying run some games @100fps.

6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I am also very happy for your side-grade?

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Spending less than $700-$1k is being on budget? Damn dude, leave some pussy for us.

i5 might be just an expendable for gaming considering how much power it got. I wouldn’t be suprised if 8400 will be useless for high fps gaming in a few years.

8. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Really looking forward to see bench for this i9. It looks like a beast.
    I'm aware that AMD has really been playing in Intel's flower-beds for a while, but I can't bring myself into buying AMD ever. :(

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    How about waiting for actual release and benchmarks?

Sure, maybe it can turbo to 5Ghz on a single core, but it might as well throttle like crazy when all cores are loaded and not be any faster than 2700K.
    ... or it might be a miracle CPU.
    ... or it might cost so much that the difference in price is not worth it.

In the mean time, AMD is happily selling Ryzen 2700(x)... (not sure how much profit they're making on it, probably not a lot)

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You looks like you have very relevant ideas.

Jokes aside. I am yet to run into CPU limited situation. Maybe when AMD hands over some enthusiast grade Navi. But then I expect that 2700X will still pull good 235fps which is limit I use for games which are not heavy on GPU.

I kind of like your 0.01% argument for sake of claiming that it is better for 99.99% of users. And reading what you put in between the lines... just hilarious.

11. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    the i9 doesn't seem to be that different from the 8700K in terms of single core boost. extra cores won't help you justify the extra cost, time to wait if you target gaming which ofc can't utilize all these threads.
    the i9 will come with a new platform too so I smell expensive $$$

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Nope, I am always here to call out mentally deficient people who have need to make stupid arguments :)

It's like: Ferrari has this one really superb vehicle. So all Ferraris are better than all Volvos for everyone everywhere regardless of conditions.

In reality your 0.01% target group argument has exactly that relevance.

xIcarus, schmidtbag and Evildead666 like this.
  13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    5GHz on 1 core is not true "5GHz" in my opinion (either all cores or none) and is false advertisement if anything.

I'm also pointing my fingers at AMD (take a quick look at Ryzen) both companies should stop their marketing schemes.

Fox2232 likes this.
  14. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    So yet another release on the 1151 platform and nothing for 2066? Or even a X399 successor in 2018?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  15. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    You won't get all cores at 5GHz on Aircooling, i can guarantee that.
    Just taking Intels 28c@5GHz Demo into account, it was using over 1200W cooling, so I'd expect about 250W at 5GHz on all cores for the 9900K.

16. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The Ryzen die is VERY profitable for AMD. Yields are great, and costs are down. Its what has gotten them out of the red and back into the Black ;)

17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    We should see actual numbers before calling our price and performance. $450 for high-end i9 CPU doesn't sound right, but I am more than happy to be wrong.
    Also 30% faster cause of 2 additional CPU? Yeah. that sounds about right, so probably not any noticeable IPC improvement. How games suppose to benefit from it?
    Intel just going in loops with sidegrading on same arc again, again and again. Another CPU, another socket, yet side-grade performance, sometimes more cores for $$$ obviously.

It could be good investment for future, but so probably gonna be Zen2 and for lesser price.

Being aimed to launch before Zen2, I guess they just try to sell as much as they can, before AMD brings 7nm on table.

18. foetopsyRus

foetopsyRus Member

GPU:
    GIGABYTE RTX 3080
    having 8,400 statter and problems in BF1 64 players, barely takes out 1070

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's why I moved from i5@4.5GHz to Ryzen 8C/16T. Ryzen improved fps only little, but all stutter was gone.
    With i5, new games felt like they actually rendered 1/2 of reported fps.

20. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    It is not "silly" at all.. in all electronics there are incremental updates but in some generations it can be quite steep to warrant waiting for the next one especially if it's just a few months away.