Review: MSI B450 Tomahawk - Value At 109 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review we check some armory from MSI, the B450 Tomahawk, based on the new B450 chipset it is aimed at for Ryzen processors, and in specific the new Ryzen 2000 / Zen+. The new B450 series chi...

Review: MSI B450 Tomahawk - Value At 109 USD

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    There is probably some mistake in the OC page in the steps applied in BIOS to achieve the 4.2 GHz. Other than that, these boards look fantastic for someone building a gaming PC right now. But this time I would go for the Gigabyte based on the VRM temps.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    What are you referring to? It is what has been written, MP x42 and the rest at auto.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    From component selection, board looks rather cheap. Then I see that one redeeming factor: M.2 slot above GPU :D
    And then: "Am I blind? Where's 2nd M.2?" So, I go to place where Hilbert writes about just one M.2 slot.

For $109 ... I think board should have been mATX to save on PCB as there is no 2nd M.2 anyway. I would not dare to use 2 GPUs there as next guy anyway. Temperature wise, I do not think those power phases are that kind of cool under shown stress. Maybe FLIR of back of PCB cloud show something more.

Their Gamer BIOS is nice feature for average guy who wants one click solution. I considered it annoying and featureless.
    But they have that AMD's ramdrive solution and Flashback+ => BIOS flash does not even need CPU.

All in all, not bad board for plug and play user. It just could have been bit better and bit cheaper at same time.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018

5. SuperAverage

SuperAverage Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte xtreme 1080
    Can you check DPC latency on this board please?

6. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Well in the 1st point, you write that MP x42 and rest at auto wasn't stable. Then in the other points, you write the same thing and that is suddenly stable ?