Windows 10 will soon predict the best time to restart PC after an update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    MS should 1st find right time to run update :)
    I am pretty sure not everyone has almighty CPUs and SSDs.

3. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Haha, to fix something so broken it needs freggin skynet. I love windows 10 in almost every other way, but the update system is a mess.

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    It's amazing that they still don't give you an option to manually restart whenever you want. What if I can't have my computer restarting whenever it wants? What if I'm rendering something and need it up for 4 days or 2 weeks?

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then you have to cripple windows update in advance. It did happen to me few times. MS loves to restart PCs at 3AM.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    What i dont like is how they are hiding absolutely every option under the sun regarding customisation or configuration of the system.

But hey, lets install a load of free crappy games on the main start menu!!!

8. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I know but it's so much hassle messing with that. I'm fine with updates installing automatically but ffs Microsoft give me an option to restart manually.

9. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    This is the last thing they need to tinker with.

Windows 10 updates, in general, are really a sore spot with the OS release. The crap began with Windows 8 and has been with us since.

Here are some things Microsoft (MS) should address prior to determining when they should auto-reboot your PC:
    • Turn off sleep during updates. Why does the PC go to sleep in the middle of long updates? If MS is "smart" enough to code something to predict a reboot time, why can't they do something like "If OS update, then turn sleep mode off"?
    • Improve the install process. Fix the problem with updates that often fail (with in-place upgrades from the Microsoft web site or using the media creation tool to repair or performing a clean re-install - all outside of the regular update operation - being the only fixes)?
    • Improve downloads. Provide more servers (and bandwidth to them) for providing windows updates so that a 500MB update doesn't take 10 minutes to download? Why is downloading data from Windows update servers so slow!!?
    • Improve feedback to users. Instead of giving me a black screen during installation after a non-video-related Windows-update-related reboot, provide me with information on the progress of the update? Numerous times after an update-related reboot, I've been presented with minutes of a black screen followed by some progress circle and then the login screen. Why minutes of a black screen. Let me know something is happening. Also, the feedback during the Windows regular Window updates is terrible often going from 0% and jumping to 100% complete after many minutes with no intermediate progress displayed in between?

"Predicting" an automated reboot time is the last thing needed with Windows updates and seems almost irresponsible!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  10. Aokromes

Aokromes Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    You can delay install of updates up to 35d.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Even with a good CPU and SSD, Windows updates are horrendously slow. And yet, very rarely do I ever see any real improvement from updates. It boggles my mind how it can take several minutes to apply a simple security patch. I understand a lot of this time is spent on creating restore points (which I personally disable) or backups in the event you want to revert the update, but I'd appreciate having the option to disable that.

12. Yttersta

Yttersta Member

GPU:
    Some
    As long as they continue to provide the group policy settings so that I update and restart whenever I want and give me the options to opt-out of training their AI for free, I'm okay with this. That said, if they don't allow us to opt-out; Windows is not freeware, it is a paid product, if Microsoft wants to force me to train their AI for free, then I want something in return.

13. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Guru3D user predicts best time to restart PC after update.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Microsoft should pay you for this revelation :p. I don't know why they can't offer something like every previous version of Windows to the people that want it.

Glottiz likes this.
  14. Yttersta

Yttersta Member

GPU:
    Some
    I can never understand the resource management of windows updates. I would be much happier if it utilized everything it could for a short period of time instead of using 10% of my CPU and 10% of my bandwidth and take 3 hours to complete. How hard could it be to put settings for these in the OS though, even if hidden somewhere? For instance, allow me to choose how much CPU I want to allow updates to use, or an amount of bandwidth in MiB.

ubercake and schmidtbag like this.
  15. Yttersta

Yttersta Member

GPU:
    Some
    They do give you that option though, just very in the group policy settings that very few people use in setting up their computers still. The way I have set it up has Windows Update check for updates and notifies me if there are any every 6 hours. Then if I want to install them, I click download, then if there is a restart required I still have to go in and manually tell it to restart. It just waits on restart otherwise. Like the old Windows versions.

Write "gpedit" to your start menu search, go unto: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

In there you have all the settings you want. They shouldn't be this hidden I agree, but at least they are there.

Killian38 likes this.

16. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I know all about Win Update Group Policies. Problem with your approach, and I tried it, is if you are using Windows Defender you'll get nag to install definition updates 2-3 times every day. It gets very annoying very fast.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  18. Toadstool

Toadstool Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I think the newer update changed it so you can manually download updates but it no longer asks for permission to restart.

I haven't tested that yet, one of the more recent updates (spring update) caused an issue that forced me to clean install and I've been paranoid to install any updates since.

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think that all started with Windows 8, where Microsoft tried to adopt the simplified UI of mobile operating systems like iOS and Android. It's probably one of the worst things to happen to Windows and desktop PCs, aside from microtransactions (AKA in-app bribes) which also came from the mobile world.

airbud7 and ubercake like this.
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    This is such a hard fail after all... no damn AI needed, just ask the user for a click of permission before the OS checks, downloads, installs, or reboots for updates. It's a f'ing simple as that. Everything else is just hot air out of some technical marketing team's ass.

Size_Mick, joe187, Fox2232 and 2 others like this.