Advice on Upgrade from FX 8350 to Ryzen 5 1600X

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Alexis444, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Hi people

I'm just revisiting some reviews and articles about the ryzen processors and I'm gotta say I felt that my pc is way back old and I guess it's time to catch a little up with the ongoing tech. At the same time my pc is pulling great still, despite I have a 2012 processor (FX 8350). Last month I switched my mobo but the one new came DOA and the other one came damaged so I thought it is time for the upgrade.

This is the list i put together:
    Ryzen 5 1600X
    Gigabyte AX370 gaming
    Kingstone 8GB 2666 non EEC

What I have on my rig:
    FX 8350
    Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
    Corsair Ballistix 1866
    GTX 950 SSC (will not upgrade until another gen. comes out)

My question here is, should I get the upgrade or hold for maybe another year?

2. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Well if you do get it now get at least the 2600/x and not the first gen Ryzen(less it’s stupid cheap but what’s $100 over years of better performance?) might want to go X470 too(B450 is right around the corner too).

Or wait 6 months to a year and get the Ryzen 3k series stuff.

No matter what you buy it’ll be a significant upgrade. I have a 1600X and it’s been nice but it’s been heck with my crappy Hynix memory.

3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya I just got my 2700X and ASUS CHVII Hero X470 & G Skill Flare 3200 CL14, and I came from a 8350 running @ 4.7 and it is still night and day difference I am very happy. It just blows the 8350 out of the water in comparison.

4. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    So I'll get way improvement, even without changing my VGA which I'm planning to keep for about 2 years. That's what I'm looking for. I was almost convinced with the reviews but I wanted to hear from people that already did the upgrade.

Edit: apart from waiting for the next generation of ryzen, any other suggestions in parts?

5. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    well game wise you may not see too much right now because the games will be GPU bound even with your 8350 but when you upgrade your card that's where the real potential will come from. one other thing to mention would be to consider 16gb of memory and try to get as close to 3200mhz as you can afford.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    It depends, older games which only use at maximum 4 cores will do way better since Ryzen has better ipc than Vishera.

Newer games not so much, maybe a few fps here and there, might wanna look at comparison benchmarks between Ryzen and the FX series.

7. pflapp

pflapp Member

GPU:
    Asus 6800xt
    I did the update from my faithful 8350 to the Ryzen 1600x and the difference is huge. People get really bogged down in the numbers i.e. higher FPS but they forget about minimum FPS. Only difference is I have a 970 so that might make the difference more pronounced but it is a massive upgrade (my 8350 lasted me ages though) as another post mentioned, try and get the highest rated memory you can as it does make a difference.

8. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    You are gpu bound for sure you will upgrade and only see the same fps but min and frame time a lot better. Overall, you get more performance from a $200 $300 gpu upgrade then a $600 new platform. Also, get 16gb.