7th Generation I5 & Windows 7? Is w10 worth it?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by MisterWhippy, Jul 21, 2018.

1. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    Just realized that a Cpu I got for a computer is stated as "incompatible" with windows 7. What are the issues, and where is a good place to read about this? I just realized this now reading the fine print, and am sure there is a work around. I prefer windows 7 & would love to avoid w10.

I do own a license to w10, but I also am getting a used GTX titan on the cheap.....

Is w10 worth it? I really am content with Dx 10 as none of the games I really enjoy use it.

2. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Windows 10 is more than fine. Its stable and fast. You will hear your fair share of people complaining about privacy and sometimes rightfully so but Windows 10 is actually pretty good. Its obviously different with the start menu, but it works great. I have seen plenty of complains on this forum about Windows 10 that are simply made up and not true at all. Just be careful what you read.

I personally enjoy it. Like I said, there are privacy issues but I don't mind it myself. I use spybot anti-beacon, but I heard O&O Shutup10 is better.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Mat and MisterWhippy like this.
  3. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    I used it for a few months when it came with an alienware alpha. It got windows 7 even after it said it was not possible. I would prefer windows 7, and am just looking for experience in running it with 7-8th generation cpus.

4. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    MisterWhippy likes this.

5. Mat

Mat Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 2g CF 1050/1300
    I quite like win10. turn off all the telemetry/spying stuff and stop it from installing random c*** games, and it's all good!

6. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    I am looking at possibly getting an enterprise edition of w10 just so I can do the same.

As for right now, I am using windows 7 on my "new" pc. Windows would not allow for updates because of my processor (I paid for a license, not for excuses), so I found a nice piece of 3rd party software that overrides it somehow (wufuc).

This is my first mobo upgrade in over 10 years. I haven't had a chance to turn on any games, but I think the biggest jump in fps is when I get the Titan in the mail.

7. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Windows 10 Enterprise RS4 64 bit user here , i also turn off all the telemetry/spying stuff a long with uninstalling that stupid Cortana. I use O&O ShutUp10 WPD & DWS. All is good now, oyea almost forgot i also use NordVPN

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    Your mileage probably will vary, but a very specific case: Ghost Recon Wildlands. I get around 40 fps or Windows 8.1 and 7 but 60fps+ on Windows 10 1709. I don't know why that happen on that specific game, but that's it.

Other games more or less are on the same level between Win 10 and 7, as far as I can tell. Some fps differences, but nothing that huge. Ubisoft stuff have the tendency to run better on Win 10.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can also stay on Win7 and just ignore updates. They are security ones, so you just ignore somewhat higher risks of hacker attack.

10. MisterWhippy

MisterWhippy Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 960
    I got my GPU today (used Titan). One thing I noticed about this current setup, is since I first booted it up, it takes FOREVER to shut down. I am talking 5+ minutes. I don't know if I am missing something, but all my drivers are in place and working.

*Edit*

I did nothing, but somehow the shutdown process is less then 10 seconds now. Disc cleanup? As much as I doubt it, I did nothing else....don't know/don't care.

This computer is FAST.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018

11. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    :cool: stuff man have fun, with your new toy.

12. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    in case you want to update in the future do it manually..
    The way i do it is with SIMPLIX..its security updates without telemetry etc..it automaticly cleans up after it installes everything..Best updater out there for people like us..

----> https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/what-to-remove-telemetry-windows-7.77587/

newest version --> https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-win7-distribution.45005/page-95#post-1450884

doesnt get easyer and safer then this..

greetz