Corning announces Gorilla Glass 6

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gorilla Glass 6 is up and coming, is twice as strong as its predecessor and should remain strong after your device falls a couple of times. Built on a decade-long legacy of delivering the toughest co...

Corning announces Gorilla Glass 6

2. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    even the glass cover is like the phone maker nowdays
    release new generation almost every year

wonder how much "true" glass left in this generation
    yea i know there are various glass... but still pure glass = glass ... not flexible like plastic

so to make it flexible / shatter-proof they mix with chemical/other material
    which also translate less glass + more other material = more flexible = more durable ?

3. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'll always use a screen cover and a protection for the entire device. So, for me, no use for this tech.
    But I get it: people who like to use their device without covers and don't mind buying a new one every year will enjoy this.

Maddness and StewieTech like this.
  4. NaturalViolence

NaturalViolence Guest

GPU:
    EVGA/GTX260 C216/896MB
    It's been at least 3 years since gorrila glass 5 was announced. The release cycles for gorilla glass have been getting longer, not shorter.

Glass is a mixture of minerals. They simply use their own unique mixture based on soda lime. Gorilla glass does not contain any plastic.

5. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Had my UB case since day 1(or 2) on my S7E, to the point I get a bit surprised sometimes when I see how the naked phone looks when I clean it once in a while. :p

https://s22.**********/jspeupy1p/download.jpg

And on topic, this GG 6 looks promising.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Silva likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This is why I buy cheap phones that don't use glass displays - I don't need to buy anything else and my phone will still survive a drop at 1m without shattering.

Screen covers/protectors are mostly useless if the screen is actually made of glass. The primary benefit of them is to prevent scratching, which glass displays are already highly resistant to in the first place. I suppose some of them could reduce the probability of cracking, but a case to absorb the blow of dropping your phone is going to do a better job at that. Save yourself the time and money, and get a case instead (kind of like what Konaikki showed). Besides, a lot of these cases give a little bit of a "buffer area" for the screen, so even if you were to drop the phone face-down on some sandpaper, it won't touch the screen.

7. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    The big problem is the phone makers are making phones with these stupid rounded edge screens now that stick out farther than the phone cases can protect. I don't understand why they can't make a normal screen phone as an option for people who want to use cases to protect their ridiculously expensive phones.

Silva likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Such phones do exist, and they have other fantastic benefits like several days worth of battery life, replaceable batteries, headphone jacks, and a low price tag. Unless half your life revolves around phone usage and you have 0 patience, the only thing you really sacrifice is the high-end performance.

Phones are one of very few products where cheaper is actually usually better. Even if I were given one of the fancier phones, I'd probably just sell it and buy a new cheap one, because I find the expensive ones have more disadvantages than advantages.

Though, I will admit that the expensive phones do have 1 indisputably better advantage: their cameras.

Silva likes this.
  9. labidas

labidas Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 / RX5700XT
    wish they used Transparent Aluminium already (ALON).

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    ^
    To a few fellow members above. I understand some people for whatever reasons(I admit I don't fully comprehend but more on that below), don't like using or having a case on. But unless extremely careful, which being careful and "worried" it's a negative by itself, there's only one usual outcome..
    \/

E.g, true story(early-mid 2017 iirc):

My uncle(mid 50's) he dropped his Moto X getting out of car or something. Can't remember. Screen was shattered anw(still have the phone here somewhere). Don't remember why I didn't replace his screen or just find a used Moto E/G to replace his Moto X. Probably he didn't wan't it anymore or didnt find any locally and brand new I assume wasn't worth it over the Moto X.

Anyhow, he ended up getting brand new S7E for the price I paid for mine(used) approximately a year-ish ago at that time. I even cleaned my lovely UBeetle case shown in my previous post and put it on his phone and I ordered a new one for me(had a spare Spigen Rugged Armor case for the wait). My mind was at ease. By now you surely must have guessed what follows. I learned he took off the case because he didn't like the bulk it added or something like that. I had no idea he did that until I learned he dropped the phone and cracked the S7E's screen not long after doing that. The end.

Personally I have dropped my S7E more times than I'm willing to admit and I just lift it, check the screen(just in case) and carry on.

So about GG 6, I can only say that it will be a nice addition to a phone I would use with a nice protective case on it because even tho as I said I don't fully comprehend why some people don't like using case it's only fair they can be as baffled with me as to why I don't like using screen protectors. I simply refuse to use them unless absolutely necessary.

P.S: Brother-in-law owns a small water wholesale and bottling factory/company and his S7E with UBeetle it's as good as new(he got a couple months after I got mine) and I'm sure he must have dropped it a few times too. They work 14+ hours shifts so he's not sitting in office. Just for context.

My sis on the other hand which she works with him, despite all the fuss and warnings, she broke almost all her owned galaxy phones(S4, S5, S8+). She's still using the S8+(~1cm width cracks top-bottom right bezels side). Nothing wrong with Sammy Galaxy phones of course. I assume she would break whatever she had since inadequate protection was the culprit anw.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Clawedge likes this.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    My Lumia 640 XL has this make of glass and it works, not one single mark or scratch on the screen and it's been dropped, in the pocket with keys and change......stuff is really good.

Although i doubt i would ever buy a phone on what type of glass the screen is made of but more options are always better for the consumer.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    That's outdated old tech from 90's

Have you seen The Expanse ?
    Phones are made of something that projects the screen/image into thin air.
    * And they survive the harshness of space without a problem.

13. lollypop

lollypop Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290x
    Detective Miller's smartphone is cracked in The Expanse.

14. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    most of smart-phones are still sold with GG3..

15. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Indeed, lol ;))

200 more years in the future and they still haven't fixed the damn durability problem.
    We're doomed !

Maddness and Koniakki like this.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I just want phones to be covered with something that isn't scratched by sand/quartz/common dirt, so an 8+ on the Mohs scale would do. I was excited to see developments into sapphire for phone screens, but it never really came into fruition. I have no idea why, but all the jeans I ever buy anywhere have sand (or quartz grains?) in the pockets which I can never get rid of, I assume it's part of the manufacturing process. They're embedded into the material the pockets are made of, getting rid of it entirely seems pretty much impossible.

Gorilla Glass 5, despite anything corning says, IS DEFINITELY softer than Gorilla Glass 3 was back in the day. Every report, of any amount of use ever, says that it gets micro scratches much more easily than past variations. All of Corning's focus has been on shatter resistance; scratch resistance has went down the shitter. Sure GG5 still scratches at 6 on Mohs scale like GG3 did, but that's with a rigid tool in a direct brute force test, not soft contact with dirt debris (7+ on Mohs) which can scratch it easily. It's not a subtle or detailed test.

Give me my diamond screened titanium alloy Galaxy S57++ already... which runs on the AI of its included sex gynoid which indistinguishable from a human. You all know that day is coming.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As far as I'm concerned, what you're asking for is physically impossible. In order to make something more scratch resistant, it needs to be harder. The harder something is, the more brittle it becomes. Of course, there are materials that are both more crack-resistant and scratch resistant than gorilla glass, but then it either becomes unreasonably expensive, or, it will affect the appearance of the display (in other words, it maybe isn't totally transparent, or may polarize light in an undesirable way).

So, might as well get a shatter-resistant screen and buy a dozen screen protectors that you replace once in a while, or, buy a scratch-proof screen and hope you don't drop it.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    So, is it finally bulletproof? With each generation they claim much higher resilience to shock.
    Yet, I always see people breaking it. Or did non-gorilla glass 10 years ago broke upon wind blowing into it?

Lucky me, I am not average person who drops phone 7 time a year. I actually dropped phone only once (old one) and I did catch it with instep. And thrown several times (my 1st one - big brick like thing from Philips).

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm aware that things tend to become more brittle as they become harder. I'm not looking for shatter resistance, I need scratch resistance due to everyday debris containing silicon and quartz as I said. Everyone and their cats are getting micro scratches on all these Gorilla Glass 5 phones and GG6 has absolutely zero advertisements so far about being more scratch resistant than 5 like previous generations.

Getting a proper glass screen protector for a curved screen (and a lot of have curved edges even if the screen itself isn't curved) is borderline impossible. To this day I haven't found one for my S9+. Why glass? So it doesn't scratch on day 1. I'm using a plastic one for now which is the best I've found and every day it scratches more. If it was as scratch resistant as Gorilla Glass 3 I could just dump it in my pocket with my front-covering case on and not worry. But no, GG5, scratches like it's made of Play-Doh, apparently because the average person is stupid and klutzy enough to drop their glass-and-metal sandwich multiple times per year.

Don't buy a glass sandwich pocket computer unless you plan on putting it in an overkill case kids.

20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    The glass is only scratch resistance to softer materials. If you get a grain of sand on your pocket, you'll get your phone scratched. Screen protectors offer you the possibility to replace them and get a scratch free screen.
    I use one of these on my phone (5€): https://img.tvc-mall.com/uploads/details/10173273A-1.jpg
    I have dropped it a couple times and so far no damage.

Fox2232 likes this.