Poor DX 12 performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Killingspree, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Killingspree

Killingspree Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    I had already noticed a performance drop playing Elder Scrolls Online using DX 12 api, but I thought it was some game bug. Now I tested DX12 in World of Warcraft and again noticed performance drop compared to dx 11. Is it a card bug or a drive bug?
    My system is:
    gtx 1080 ti
    i7 7700k stock
    16 gb ddr4
    Nvidia driver 398.11
    Windows 10 64 bit

2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Probably the games not card or drivers

3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    ESO does not support DX12 (at least not yet)

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    WoW's DX12 is half arsed.

5. jaju123

jaju123 Guest

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290 Crossfire
    There isn't a single game where Nvidia performance is better on DX12 than DX11. There is on AMD, but not Nvidia. Vulkan, however, typically runs better on both Nvidia and AMD cards.

6. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb

enable subtitle for view in english

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Wanna bet? 1080p where the cpu is still a barrier, the 980ti pulls ahead in dx12, ever so slightly.

[​IMG]

AMD benefits from 12 because they never bothered to get multithreaded display lists working in 11.

8. SpookySkeleton

SpookySkeleton Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    several years has been passed and no dx12 game is really perfect, vulkan on the contrary is the real deal, even in emulation has found a way since is actually does what it supposed to be doing.

Maddness likes this.
  9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Nvidia is bad on dx12.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I think that's mainly Fermi and below far as hardware goes and I need to look that up better because I think some or most of the initial woes were resolved via later drivers, software wise well the primary gain on AMD is multi-threading and CPU load improvements, they don't do deferred contexts very well for one thing though I still need to look up more info on exactly how badly this affects them performance wise under D3D11 and especially in newer games.

Vulkan seems to be where both are gaining though, open source and several active contributors, AMD and NVIDIA for example but also from others plus Linux and PC and it scales back to Windows 7 at least as long as the platform update is installed I think.

NVIDIA in particular has really accelerated support and improvements for VLK although bleeding edge is currently a separate driver branch and then these get merged into the main drivers over time though both DX12 and VLK are currently having a fairly low adaption rate but it's coming, DX10 and DX11 started out slowly too and then gradually expanded plus these are more complicated lower level API's so it will take time. :)

I don't know how well DX12 is "benefiting" from the trend of wrapping D3D11 either instead of having a fully native implementation, Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Rise of the Tomb Raider eventually saw some nice gains via patches and they do have some other advantages such as memory usage and keeping that near the GPU's maximum and then a few API standards such as flip mode presentation although that's mainly windowed or borderless and stuff like full-screen optimizations and Game DVR hasn't exactly been smooth. :)

Improvements and enhancements to both D3D11 and D3D12 will likely lead to further differences in newer games same as newer SDK's for Vulkan but it will take more time still until we start seeing these, for now these early games showcases some of what can be done but it hasn't been a entirely smooth ride either for AMD or NVIDIA.
    (And leaving it mainly in the developers care seems good on one hand and then you have quick ports and little post-launch support whereas at least newer drivers can eventually help with D3D11 and earlier API problems even after the game is long since dropped from further development by the publisher studio behind it.)

I think Halo Wars 2 is at least one confirmed native D3D12 game so they're coming although probably under supervision and development from Microsoft as a near first party title and then for DOOM and Wolfenstein well on one hand they use Vulkan well but using earlier SDK's means it's non-standard extensions so leaning towards AMD and aiding their GPU's though the Pascal cards from NVIDIA aren't far behind owing to just how fast these are. :)

Well I still don't know all too much about either API let alone the closed nature of the drivers for either GPU vendor and then the entire slew of game specific issues and driver specific issues that exists for numerous D3D12 and VLK API games and both AMD and NVIDIA but that's just the nature of how complex these things are and with Windows adding and changing stuff up plus third party software well it's sometimes surprising how well things actually work even if it seems like they shouldn't ha ha. :D

Having both vendors having up to date and robust support for either API is a cornerstone of actually seeing said API utilized though, but then the developers also need to be more skilled in implementing low-level API's in their games and if it's primarily for the PC version well that might take time though XBox One and it's variants are also using some form of D3D12 though differing enough from PC to not really be portable 1:1 or anywhere near from how I've heard so who knows if that's much of a boon really although it might help somewhat even so.

EDIT: And for DX12 I guess it doesn't help if Microsoft is retooling DirectX 11.x and 12 every major version adding some feature here and there hopefully without breaking anything and having to wait who knows long for some cumulative monthly update to un-you-know-what the problem hah.
    (HDR support? Well kinda, it's getting there a little bit at a time I think.)

The Phoenix likes this.

11. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    Maybe Nvidia is well optimized on DX11 all those years while AMD was waiting for DX12 to get boosted because of their crappy DX11 programming in their drivers and unoptimized architectures. Speaking your language here.;)

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    With low level API games, the developer skill matters the most when it comes to the benefits. There are both DX12 and Vulkan titles which perform very well on NVidia hardware. The Forza Horizon games, Halo Wars 2 and Gears of War 4 are the best examples for DX12, and for Vulkan, Doom and Wolfenstein 2 perform extremely well. Later this year, Forza Horizon 4 will be launching and that should be another really good DX12 game.

13. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
  14. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I can see you don't have much understanding of what you're saying.

For OP: WoW's support for DX12 is very recent, so you should not delay in getting drivers optimized for it.
    In the meantime I suggest you install the latest ones (398.46) and see if it improves the game.

15. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Exactly.

16. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I thought the one of the main ideas behind DX12 was to shrink the vendor drivers to a minimum, so these should not really matter much. Many of the traditional driver roles are now the duties of game developers (they effectively write a driver part, so to speak).

The only practical difference (between AMD and nVidia) is that MS finally gave in (probably as a silent part of the Xbox deals) and designed the API to fully fit every AMD wishes which left nVidia with a little extra work (like writing driver codes for things which their hardware can't do natively because the existing nVidia GPUs didn't accidentally happen to be exactly the same as AMD's [you know, like GCN is simply the ultimate GPU design, so everyone should copy-paste all it's ideas...]).

So, nVidia benefits less from DX12 than AMD does (on an absolute scale between AMD and nVidia) which looks even prettier when you also count their negligence regarding DX11 drivers (which is a relative scale within AMD).

It's also funny to think about how the AMD Mantle based Vulkan turned out to be more nVidia friendly than DX12.

Yes, and the important part is (as quoted from the article):

AQUILES likes this.
  17. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    This really says it all.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Your opinion here is about 2 years outdated. DX11 performance on AMD has been rebuilt and optimized, and is on par with matching equivalent hardware.

19. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    Is this a joke or what?? On DX11 nvidia is No1 despite the improvements AMD made on software level and thats a fact. There is no need to bring you benchmarks and explain once more the obvious things. You like to believe that AMD is better on DX11 on any game engine etc.. Its ok with me.., i won't wake you up. And btw i had ATI/AMD cards for more than a decade so don't try to tell me otherwise.. i don't have time to waste!

AQUILES and SpajdrEX like this.
  20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    NVidia uses a software instruction scheduler, whilst AMD uses a hardware instruction scheduler. So basically, NVidia's drivers are always going to have a much greater impact on performance, even with DX12 and Vulkan titles.