EU could be fining Google over Android

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Truder, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I don't get the American hate. I get hate. Not American hate. If America is this bully of the world, what's it say about the rest of the world to remain bullied for decades upon decades? What's it say about the people of the world if they allow these governments to remain complacent and bullied? Easy to point a finger outward and blame messes by everyone else. But accountability is with human beings in general. We all have a responsibility to this earth and to our species. This country pride bullshit is so eye rolling. Your geographical, most likely accidentally location... based on where you were birthed is no reason to find pride in how you live vs. others. People can't control their ethnicity or where they are born. Yet they seem to feel superior of these completely random events. Small minded thinking.

It's like crying everyday about a loud neighbor. Grass is knee high, his sons always leave garbage around your house, they eye up your daughter constantly, they have loud parties with friends all the time. And you cry, complain and yell to your family and friends over and over about how terrible they are but not once do you go over there and confront them or even pick up a phone and call the cops. That's the best analogy I can come up with when I read crying about America or anywhere else. Where are all these perfect and amazing countries where everyone is living in harmony with no violence, political corruption, or murder?

I'm not by any means saying America is perfect. But what is?

Carfax and airbud7 like this.
  2. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Per first post link.

"The European Commission had the power to fine Google up to 10% of its annual revenue. Based on its last annual report, that would have amounted to a maximum of $11.1bn (£8.5bn).'

allesclar likes this.
  3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I know this news article isn't the best news to hear about successful businesses that have been found to breach particular laws/rules/regulations etc but it's not really a place to be discussing politics and subjects such as the NATO debate. The off-topic discussion has quite frankly lead to a disappointing display of bigotry and ignorance towards differing countries, states, cultures and ideologies - there's no place for that anywhere.

I'd prefer not to see this thread get locked because it is an important topic, many people aren't sure whether for example that this ruling is in the interests of the consumer or if it's just a cash grab tax but swearing at people and spreading allegations of things countries may or may not be practising that incite hate just doesn't serve to help anyone.

Keep it civil please guys!

Venix and Carfax like this.
  4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I basically have two choices, Apple or Android. I chose one because I don't like Apple's way. Are you saying I need to shill for Google because I prefer those devices? How does that make any sense whatsoever? They are the ones making asinine decisions. I'm just using a phone.

Much like Windows is a necessity for most but Microsoft needed to get hammered for unfair practices.

I don't understand what you are saying otherwise.

carnivore likes this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, I did not say that you have to shill for Google at all. I said that you have choice not to buy their devices. (You opted not to buy Apple's.)

And you are wrong again. Windows is not necessity for most. Most of people who use computer can have exact same functionality on linux. It is their choice to go with windows.

When you complain, but eat it, it sounds about way it sounded before. It simply does not sound right.

Serotonin and airbud7 like this.
  6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yeah I agree, the rhetoric is getting a bit too heated. I'm done with discussing NATO.

Venix and airbud7 like this.
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    the fine will be recouped through higher cost on the consumer.

cash grab/tax from you in disguise.

That Bad Google! ......let's throw rocks at Google and take its money!

Bad Move.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Why do you have such a problem with people having actual choice?

If I don't want any particular Google app or service on my phone, I should have the choice to remove it. What is inherently bad about choice?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You can uninstall almost any of them. Those which you can't uninstall, you can disable. Disabling will remove applications data, binaries, updates, ...
    Only thing which will remain in your phone is actual information that application is part of system, and you can reenable it.

10. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Whoops.

Thankyou.

11. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    @Fox2232 wrote: "I understand capitalism and I am not communist in any form".
    Now, this could have been a statement of the month, if only we had such chapter within our Forum. Finally someone who DOES understand a capitalism, after people like John Davison Rockefeller Sr., Edward J. Hoover, J. P. Morgan and the Rothschild family themselves admitted that they do not (understand). ;)

Back to the topic: Google is just another case of "Is No Gud (IsNoGood) type" - the guy who wanted to become a caliph instead of the Caliph, that is, to become a micro$oft number 2. It's like the war between gangs to control streets of the city. We all know Big Bad Billy, don't we? The guy who keeps flapping his arms in every interview, tv show etc., as if he is going to fly away from that armchair (which never happens). Now, the founder(s) of Google watched this Billy-boy for many years until finally it struck him (them): Hey, I (we) could do the same thing. Let's become yet another BBB (or, maybe even Bigger Badder Billy than Bad Billy, who knows..).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  12. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    people that saying Google is bad (both company+products), should prove they dont use any google-products / stay away from any google-stuff

its so irrelevant saying a product bad or a company doing bad things , while u still using their product

you know what, there is good example imho
    Facebook our current top social-platform, google tried to take-over, or tried to get some shares with google+ but again did it work ?

when it launched, i predicted that facebook going to die-slowy, and google+ take over/replace it
    its not just being better social-platform, but the google+ also get support from the rest google-products.
    people wont jumping to google+ despite nowdays most people have at least 1 google account...

now few years after release, google+ looks just dead... that is also a google-product
    and google+ also preinstalled in most android device

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    The use of a product has nothing to do with that.
    The problem i have with Google is the pre-installed crap u HAVE to have on a device to be allowed to run android, and the limitations on devices from non google makers that are done because of google, and are NOT because of hardware not being capable of doing it aka stamina mode, which was only crippled to match androids notification specs

Would you buy a car with a fixed top speed matching the speed limit in your country/state, just because other drivers get caught doing +40mph above the speed limit?

Truder likes this.
  14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I think the reasoning behind the European laws is justified, but not sure about the actual fine, perhaps there are more "positive" ways of enforcing these rules.

I also think 90 Days is a very short time span to try and fix this.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Without modifying the system in some way, it's impossible to uninstall any google service. Disabling a service is completely different from completely removing it from the device. If I don't need or want the service, there is no justification at all for being unable to completely remove it from the device. It's completely about choice, which you seem to be against for some reason that no logical human being can comprehend.

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's all fine and dandy, but how would you react if Google began charging the manufacturers to put Android on their devices? Because that's the alternative. As several people including myself have already mentioned, Google's monetizing scheme revolves around ad revenue. The Google apps that are preinstalled on these phones make money for Google because they act as a portal to one of the most robust advertisement and marketing systems ever devised. It's like YouTube. Consumers have a choice of whether to run YouTube with ads which is free, or pay for it with YouTube premium and have no ads whatsoever.

So by saying that Google shouldn't have the right to request pre-installation of these software, is basically also saying that Google should simply give away their intellectual property for free to manufacturers and end consumers. Of course, that's never going to happen. Either Google will start charging manufacturers to use their software, or they will limit Google software to Google phones like the Pixel and Nexus series.

Either way, it does nothing to help consumers or increase their choices.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.
  17. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I use Android because I enjoy all the integration with google services. I can easily access everything I want on any of my devices. Sure, there are privacy issues but I don't really care as I got nothing to hide. However, I can just go buy a google phone with all the google apps already pre-installed, get to work quickly and have great productivity.

No matter how hard Microsoft tries to unify things, I can't get the same things done across all my devices and be just as productive.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    "I don't care about the privacy issues because I have nothing to hide".... Will you feel the same way when Google starts selling all that data to Governments??

What can't you get done on a Microsoft OS, than you can on Android? If you're sticking to integrated services, Windows Phone and Android were pretty much equal. I found it easier to get "productivity" things done on Windows Phones due to being able to actually access all the same software on my desktop, laptop and phone.

Serotonin likes this.
  19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Most ignorant and maddening thing I read far too often. It doesn't matter what you "have to hide" or not. It's about laws, rights and trust. You see, if a big head is lying in one way, it opens many doors to many other lies. And your limited mental capacity allows them to rely on the fact that most people with your mentality will remain willfully ignorant to everything they decide to do to the masses.

20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    I don't have any problems paying to have Android on a device.
    Last time i checked, there is no "free" lunch, and everyone likes to get paid for their labor/work/services, and worst case they say its free but just add the cost to the price of the product.
    So where is the difference paying 200 + 50 (phone plus os) or 250 with os "free"?
    it doesn't matter much compared to the cost of the handset itself.
    If i don't have another 50 bucks to cover that, than well why u need a phone..