World of Warcraft now supports DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Blizzard has made some noteworthy rendering changes to World of Warcraft as this massive MMORPG does no longer support the DX9 API. Instead, the team has now added full support for Microsoft&rsq...

World of Warcraft now supports DirectX 12

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Benchmarks/improvements? Is it now multithreaded and runs fine? A lot of people complained about low fps. (Never had that issue myself.)

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    People are complaining about low fps because they killed off exclusive fullscreen with that update, with seemingly no valid explaination, as far as I've read.

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    I guess WoW is an app now that exclusive fullscreen is gone. End of an era.

5. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    No to all these questions. In fact I get less fps than dx11. Like 5 fps less on average.

People usually complain about low fps in raids due to the game being cpu limited in that scenario... Unfortunately, no multithread with dx12 means it most likely won't get any better unless they optimize it even more in the future.

6. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Blizz was quite obscure about dx12 as they didn't even put it in the patch notes and I only noticed it by accident on the beta. Didn't have much time to play with it though, so I hope they can eventually make it work better than dx11. The removal of dx9 and exclusive fullscreen is a shame though. Especially dx9 gave like double the fps while looking pretty much the same. Albeit the drawback was that some effects were not visible, which was fine. You just needed to switch to dx11 for any instances.

7. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Not that I play WoW anymore, but Blizzard have been constantly updating the engine ever since the game was released. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to stop development the minute they drop DX12, especially if it has a few teething issues.

What card are you using? Some other sites I've just been checking seem to be saying that Nvidia cards are having issues with DX12 but AMD cards are seeing improvements.

8. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    got an nvidia card, gtx1060. its possible that amd might have better performance. I didnt read that much about it, but I was disappointed when I tested it out on both beta and live.

9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I wonder how NV / AMD scores with benchmarks under dx12 now, the latest adaption of an engine afaik. Like @Fox2232 said, benchmarks would be great.

10. Unilythe

Unilythe Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I wouldn't be surprised if this is just step 1 of their plan to implement DX12 properly. I don't see any other reason to do this. I expect to see better performance and more DX12 features in coming patches, or if they're slow, coming expansions.

11. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Could be a placebo but the "log in and out at the same spot" test that ive done with dx12 show better fps (not much), especially minimun fps.

12. Denonite

Denonite Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080 FE
    SLI is now broken with the removal of Full Screen mode. Used to play at 4K maxed, DX11 drops frame rate to around 40fps as its only using a single card, however interestingly selecting DX12 boosts it back to 60ish but afterburner shows no activity on the second card. If that's the case then DX12 is showing massive improvement

13. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    Can't understand this obsession with everything going full screen borderless and losing exclusive full screen :(

HonoredShadow and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. Jespi

Jespi Member

GPU:
    8GB
    I wonder, what's their motivation to cut out the Exclusive Fullscreen support? I mean, is it like better with borderless window?

15. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    If I understood it correct, exclusive fullscren under dx12 requires extra programming effort to get it work properly. Under dx9 to dx11 it was the standard. I've read that it's unclear why they didn't just keep exclusive fullscreen for anything besides dx12.
    Have a read here, that's what I read this morning in regards to that topic:
    original: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/World...-61376/News/DirectX-12-Vollbildmodus-1261067/
    translation: https://translate.google.at/transla.../DirectX-12-Vollbildmodus-1261067/&edit-text=

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Borderless fullscreen-window mode is better for faster application to application switching/multi screen where you have something else on another screen.
    That applies to Windows 10 where it works really nicely.

But exclusive FS is something that is handled by Win10 in very similar fashion. So, it is not like one has big reason to implement it. But if it is already there, I see little to no reason for removal.
    (On other hand, I do not know how it is handled under DX12.)

airbud7 likes this.
  17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The only problem I have with not using exclusive fullscreen is that NV is messing around without producing properly working Gsync for that. And that's a problem, although neither produced by dx12 nor Blizzard.

18. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    The problem with borderless fullscreen is that my PC is used for other things than just gaming. So annoying when I am playing Forza 7 and a new email alert pops up to distract me and having to remember to close Outlook and then re-open it after playing each time is very annoying.

Plus I have backup alerts, other apps with notifications that constantly get in the way. Which don't when using exclusive fullscreen!

Not to mention issues with GSync in windowed mode and the reduced performance. Games always feel better and less stuttery in exclusive fs. Might a psychological thing! lol

HonoredShadow likes this.
  19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    On APU, I run some games in windowed mode 60fps limit, 240Hz screen... apparently vsync from windows.
    When I run borderless-FS-window, Freesync just works as in Exclusive FS and monitor reports changing fps. I remember time around WDDM 2.4 driver release where people reported problems on AMD side too. So, it may take driver or two for nV to get everything right. I am sure they threw more monkeys on problem than AMD did.

But I remember that I thought that borderless-FS-window Freesync did not work properly via HDMI, while Exclusive-FS was working on same connection. DP Freesync worked fine in both modes.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  20. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    That is like fitting formula one tires to a fiat 500
    Completely unnecessary and pointless.