EU could be fining Google over Android

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Truder, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    During my morning routine checking the news, this has been on the BBC news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44858238
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/google-gets-fined-4-34-billion-euros-for-android.html

Here's a small paragraph from the article:-

2. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yet another highway robbery done by EU. They have to feed certain parts of "economy".

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I guess it's acceptable when Google or any other company dodges pay their taxes.

lucidus and fantaskarsef like this.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Google and many other giant companies deserve to be heavily punished for abusing their dominant positions. The problems is that the fines are simply a slap in the wrist and what happens to the money that the EU gets from the fines is also debatable to be polite...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yeah, sure. Go pay $200 more for phone/tablet without massive Google's ecosystem.
    This extortion is done because google's search being in android API. And because of feaking browser.

What the hell? It's not like you can't disable/uninstall it. Or are forced to use it due to them blocking other solutions. (They are not forcing you, nor blocking others. And there are plenty alternatives.)

Why is not EU suing MS again for Edge? This time around they not only deliver iexplore they have been sued for (stupid as it gets), but MS has edge which can't be uninstalled.

There is only one name to this EU Commission approach. And it is: "Economical War with US."

Do you think you, as a end customer, benefit from EU doing this? Imagine Google announcing pulling out of android or any EU services connected to it including play store.
    Or if android 10 came with $50 fee per device?

Dragam1337 and schmidtbag like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Imagine taxpayers in the EU being charged for another € 4.3 billion because that money disappears somewhere in the EU aparatus. I'd rather have google pay that instead of us, tbh, for what reason whatsoever.

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Google should give them the middle finger by stop providing their products and services within the EU.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Never understood comments like these, but doing that will involve a massive drop in income, also I'm guessing they'd have to pay any employees off too.

Lincoln Setter likes this.
  10. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Fox2232 you seem to have no clue about what is right wrong or fair to consumers.
    If you think it's all about 1 company should be able to control everything, and I am guessing you are American from your comments (although I maybe wrong) you seem to lack the understanding of fairness.
    Android DONT give you a choice, which is why they were also fined in Russia and then changed the way the market their as well, so to offer fair and competition to others.

For instance, since news outlets are mainly controlled by the few, especially in America, you get to believe only what is shown on the news network, which is why when RT was in America, they had to be shutdown for giving alternative stories and truths to distorted stories and truths from most American News.

As for Google actually being American, it's about as American as Apple ;) If you don't get the irony of that, you may need to see how Apple and Google operate around the WORLD and are not restricted to being an American Company.

As for Google, they have been warned many many times, and think that by ignoring the Law they wouldn't get caught or fined, they get fined, but personally the fine is way too small. Should be 3-4 times more than it is.

Companies are not meant to be running governments or not scared of governments.

11. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Serves them right. I hope Apple's next.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would be one of them. Regardless of browser, I always use www.google.com as home page. Almost all other good search engines have advertisement, news and other trash shown even before you press search.

13. Pimpiklem

Pimpiklem Guest

GPU:
    amd
    Everyone.
    Take a pound out of your pocket and give it to charity.
    Do you feel like you are going to miss it.

This billions seems a lot to me and you but to google they will just laugh it off.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    1st) Use quote system or at least write @Fox2232 for person to get notification. Otherwise it looks like you want to make comment but want to dodge reply as person in question does not get notification.

2nd) No, I am not American. Just someone realistic enough to imagine alternative (+I understand capitalism and I am not communist in any form.). Google did us great service with android. Only real cost we pay for it is reduced battery life. if we had choice between general dumb phones/nokia phones with simple jar applications and iPhones, I would be on nokia and have maybe month of battery time by now.

But google shifted entire paradigm in way that people like it to point it reached that "dominance". But in reality it is just market share. In here it would be like nVidia vs. AMD. Do you think Google behaved in comparable way to nVidia's GPP?
    I think otherwise. Google approach is very moderate in comparison to GPP. Was nVidia finned? No, even while EU could have done that retrospectively for time it was in place.

This is not 1st time EU extorted money from google, it is already tradition. So, those warnings shots are actually hitting.

As for gevernance, you got it wrong. Government is here for people, as supporting structure. None should be afraid of it. Government should be deservingly respected, otherwise it is oppressive state.
    There is apparently no good reason to allow Corporate interests to dictate governmental policies. But that was not even on table here, so that part is even more irrelevant than some others.

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I would take my company and leave....I would love to see Microsoft /Facebook/Samsung and Apple just leave....Let the EU crying begin.

WareTernal and RzrTrek like this.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Too few, too late.

17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Hilarious. You do realize EU is the biggest money maker for these companies. There aren't that many places in the world where people can afford 1000+ euro/dollar phones and other gadgets. I guess Apple can try selling their 1200 euro phones in Somalia and Kyrgyzstan once they stop doing business in EU.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dude/ What? America is the biggest market for that stuff

[​IMG]

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes it is. People are waiting for every new device. Wanting more. And then EU in name of those citizens goes and kicks Google to balls. Hillaryous it is.

And I would laugh if those affected just bailed out and even temporarily decreased their revenue to give EU's dictators lesson.

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Fox things don´t work that way and you know it, or i hope you do anyway. Companies are always trying to find "creative" ways to cement their position and 90% of the time those creative ways are bad for consumers not good and for that reason they are illegal most of the times! Google is slowly pushing/forcing Android users into using Google services in detriment to similar services provided by competing companies, i hope i don´t have to explain you why this is very bad!?
    Also MS, Intel and others have already being fined by similar reasons, the problem is that the fines are tiny compared to the money they made forcing these creative ways. Funny fact, when those companies are discussing about deploying those "creative" and illegal moves to increase their dominant position and make (even) more money, they consult their legal and financial departments to know what rules or laws are they breaking and about the possible financial liability of the same so they factor them as potential costs to see if it´s worth doing these moves. In Google´s case this fine was predicted from the beginning are right now they are laughing at it...

Also Google, or any other companies, are not going to pull away from europe because of some silly and insignificant fines, they would be the ones to lose because they would no longer gain the income from the euro zone and other competitors would fill the void and take the money.

As for paying a 50€ fee for an Android device, personally i wouldn´t mind as long as it came without any type of spyware or any other similar crap from Google and others the same way i would gladly pay up to 200€ for Windows 10 without the spyware and forced updates. But that´s me.

P.S. i agree with when you say that this is part of a commercial war between the EU and the U.S. but that´s another matter.

HandR likes this.