what do you always replay ?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by coc, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I tried that mod back in the day several times and it always had issues. Especially rampant hitching at loading screens....like the vanilla game suffered from in 2004. Maybe with the hardware available now it's better. This mod has been going for 10 years or so, no? Impressive. I'll have to try it - I have all the titles needed to run it. Thanks for reminding me of this. The mod really put a lot of time and effort into it.

2. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    At the moment I keep re-starting GTA 5 after a full play through of the story missions. Otherwise I'll attach the Logitech G25 wheel to my desk and go for a cruise in Test Drive Unlimited or The Crew. I would like to buy The Crew 2 although the beta showed really poor force feedback so I hope that has been fixed. I constantly re-play games rather than go for the ones that have been installed for ages that I'm stuck on which I leave for months before having another go. I can't remember how many times I've played all of the Crysis games. I have made a decision to to uninstall games I cannot get the hang of (Witcher 3 - I hate the RPG elements) and stay away from games I've played before so I can concentrate on the ones I haven't completed yet.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The mod has been updated numerous times and version 13 is the final version.

Ofc adding and improving graphics but also fixing performance and stability issues.

Sure more powerful hardware of today helps but I think it's the Source engine reaching its limits that often causes performance issues with CM.

I played CM13 some time ago and it ran very smooth.
    Granted I didn't do a playthrough but what I did play ran excellent (and looked great).

Serotonin likes this.
  4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    remote viewer, downloading at home now, will be ready when I arrive. ;)

StewieTech likes this.

5. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Undoubtedly replayed the 1st/3rd-person MechWarrior titles more than anything else. (In other words, not so much the MechCommander games.)

There is just enough freedom in most of the missions to try different methods to accomplish the objective, not to mention different choices regarding mechs and weapon configurations. It helps to have a Windows98 PC handy to handle the early games. Actually, since the last single-player game, MechWarrior4: Mercenaries, dates from 2002, it's possible to play all of them on that platform. I have my Dad and older brother to thank for buying all these games years ago.

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Similar story here with my older bro and Dad buying all of the MechWarrior games and the very first Need for Speed. Star Wars X-wing versus Tie Fighter got a LOT of playtime and led to lots of broken joysticks back in the day, in fact I still have a picture of me and my friends playing that very game at about 7 in the morning on a Saturday back when I was 8.

I was lucky enough to be raised with almost all of the consoles and mid range PC's available. The games I always go back to are things like Chrono Trigger on SNES, Final Fantasy VII + Final Fantasy Tactics on PS1, Gladius on Xbox and Diablo II:LoD on PC. Thank goodness my friends I grew up with still enjoy playing older games together from time to time using things like Parsec, Hamachi and Mumble/Discord for chat. Looking forward to MechWarrior 5 and hoping that the co-op stuff is good!

Serotonin likes this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Fix't

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Were 98 and 98SE really all that bad? I've used every MS OS since 95 and I only really had trouble with ME. ME was like a BSOD'ing pile of trash, I had 3 different computers that would always BSOD if you opened and/or closed the CD drive! Those were some rough years...

0blivious likes this.
  9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Years ago, I replayed many titles. Now, at 45, I rarely replay anything. I hardly even finish anything these days, let alone a 2nd run through.

What do I play when I find everything uninteresting? For years now, there's two games that fill in the gaps:

I play Civilization. Civ IV, Civ V, Civ VI... whatever. Been playing it since the very beginning in the 90s.

The other game I play far too much of once I start playing it again is Out of the Park Baseball (latest version). A baseball General Manager sim, easily the best. I'll spend weeks on end playing nothing else.

10. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer

Since I wasn't even eight years old at the time when Windows98 hit the market, I'm hardly able to comment as to it's stability at that point in time. I can tell you that I haven't had the slightest trouble with it as a strictly offline platform used to play games from the mid-90s to about 2003, or so. I just feel that, in general, games run best on the OS they were intended for. I'm also using a really nice 19" Samsung SynchMaster CRT that supplies the native 4:3 display ratio most of these old games were designed for.

If not used for something like this, a lot of this old, but otherwise perfectly functional hardware would just be packed away somewhere and forgotten. Or, recycled to the realm of the tech afterlife. When you have a pair of 3dfx 12Mb Voodoo2 cards, (I actually have three!), you don't hide or recycle them. You SLI and game with them!

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Skyrim, Witcher games etc etc, pretty much any RPG which while I have 20+ RPG's but only ones actually finished is FF7 and FF9 and Xenosaga, all my other RPG have never been finished but they all been restarts dozens of times, I pretty sure I have like 5000+ hours into skyrim at this point and I still have yet to finish the main story!

I did how ever beat NIOH and play the crap out of it but that was before the addons which I still haven't played, but I have made 5+ new saves XD

12. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    tried the Witcher III last night for a few hours, it feels too much for me after 2 complete runs.. so that's a no go.
    planning on a full ME trilogy run for the 5th\6th time on September. its a very good month, tons of spared time while working from home.

right now i am re-playing HL2 + its episodes. credits goes to some users in this topic :) so thank you.
    enjoying every minute of it. game is superb and the graphics does not bother me.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Are there any updates or modern versions of this? Not bad looking at all, but just curious to see if there is.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    CM 13 is the newest and as far as I know "final" version.
    Or 12 if using old type content, but Steam will auto-convert the data if you install eg. Orange box from disc.

As you can see no updates since 2015.
    Little wonder though as it's the work of just one man which is simply astonishing.

The author states in the website that it all started as a modeling exercise way back and some thousands of hours later here we are.

15. haanuman

haanuman Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX
    Battlefield 3/4 Multiplayer :p I am more of a FPS guy.

16. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Tend to spend more time playing small developer titles the ones on my current rotation are

Factorio
    KSP
    Rimworld
    Prison Architect

17. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    The first couple of stages of Quake II always works for me... or Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Warrior 1.

18. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    Killing Floor 2
    GTA V Online
    ARK: Survival Evolved
    The Forest
    Rust

You can see a trend here ;)

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Thief 1-3, Deux Ex 1, HR, MD; Arkham City, Arkham Knight, the Stalker games

Not always but a few times before losing interest:
    Far Cry games (not 2)
    Crysis games
    Serious Sam games

20. The Fitter

The Fitter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    I feel your pain bro. At 47 I now find I rarely finish games. I have a 2nd pc built for vr, which I want to update the video card from a 1070 to an 11 series when they hit the stores. But most of the time it sits gathering dust so how can I justify it?

0blivious likes this.