Clean your GPUs guys.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by cryohellinc, Jul 15, 2018.

1. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Friend asked me to take a look at his EVGA 970 SC, as in accordance to him one of the fans wasn't spinning correctly which caused high temperatures during gaming (80+) on a 1080p monitor.
    Christ almighty, when he showed me the card...

From the first look, there was around 1kg of DUST all over it. The space below backplate was FILLED with dust. Heatsinks on one side were filled with dust to the point you couldn't see metal fins.

For a laugh I plugged the GPU into my PC, in idle it was around 55c area, during the first minute of gaming it would skyrocket into the 80's. One of the fan was making fantastic screeching noise and wobble around.

Not to make the poor card suffer any longer, I took it apart, ordered two new fans, cleaned everything inside, replace thermal paste to fresh Kryonaut, replaced thermal pads and added a couple of small heatsinks.

When fans arrived, and everything was assembled back, the difference was COLOSSAL. Idle's were around 30's, and temps during load were in around 65-67c area, and that's with 30c heat outside right now.
    Clean your GPU's guys....

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    yep, seen one guy a while back complaining about his 275 being hotter since new drivers, turned out to be caked with dust. lol.

fluidz, airbud7 and cryohellinc like this.
  3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I blow out whole pc every month, got small air compressor for $100 bucks makes it real easy.

airbud7 and TheDeeGee like this.
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah this why I like cases with fan filters on them, even then dust manage to get in to but it's not holy crap where that all come from in 6 month it usual very lite layer in 6 months and not much more in year.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I need to clean radiators :cool:

Dragam1337 and airbud7 like this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Yup, dust filters help against big particles, small ones still get in but they are easy to clean.

Which one you use? Curious as I would also like to purchase something like that down the road.

blitzo and airbud7 like this.
  7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Smoker?

airbud7 likes this.
  8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    My older brother is the worst about this. I've built several PC's for him and he has dogs and cats in the house. I remember a long time ago his Geforce 4 TI 4200 had so much dust and hair the fan totally stopped. Me personally, I am a smoker and all my cases have really good airflow. So every few months I crank up the air compressor and blast the gpu and cpu.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
  10. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1

11. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
  12. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Bought Newer Intel System Last September, I'm sure it's time to clean the video card, but only problem is how the heck do I get this bracket off, and get the card out to clean the dust out
    System is G11CD-K
    Video card is Geforce 1050

If I can figure out how to clean it better, perfect

Might buy one of those computer air blowers off Amazon soon as I can and use that

[​IMG]
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmF6yoUM2hihmLx43QFQvVQoQXKIUQ
    [​IMG]

Once I figure out how to get that off/card out, then will clean the fan better, right now do best I can when I open the case every 3-6 months

Best Picture I can get, sorry that it rotated when I sent to Gyazo, tries one drive link

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  13. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I live in US, but here is a link to decent one for that at Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8G-150-PSI-Hotdog-Air-Compressor-0300816/302862402 $99 usd I got mine while ago, this 1 is actually better than mine but you don't need alot to clean Pc & my cars tires are always inflated right ..lol. Anyhow this is great for the price and what its for.it would run an airtool but don't try to paint with at least not something nice like a car other house stuff it's fine.

cryohellinc likes this.
  14. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Thanks, something to take note of for future.

15. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I see others listed products too and I'm sure they would work but if not enough air the cleaning process may take longer but I haven't tried those types so I don't know but having that extra pressure makes it fast. Not sure how those others work becuase usually the tank fills to keep pressure up so not sure how those work but hey up to you. Also easier to pin point air pressure with little air blower attachment there not much under $5 im sure.

16. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Yup, experienced a similar thing with my GTX 460. My PC had the side panel off (for cooling purposes), and was placed on the carpet. Needless to say it gathered a lot of dust. That was back in my 'poorer' days.

My GPU would constantly clock down during games because it was heating so much. Opening it up was mindblowing. I cleaned it and temps dropped by 15-20 degrees C easily.

The PC I have now - clean as a whistle. Got dust filters installed all over the place - hehe.

17. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    My card just never gets a chance to get any impactful build up of dust because pc is off the floor. The room is free from carpet and kept pretty dust free. Also my GPU gets updated every year or two and only ever has a thin bit of dust, not a single clean needed. I do a compressed air clean of the entire pc once every year with fan filter and spot cleaning fairly regularly.

cryohellinc likes this.
  18. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Cleaning mine again probably next weekend, Unforuately Carpet in Apartment so nothing I can do on that, is off the floor though so i'm sure that helps. Plan on upgrading GPU to at least Geforce 1070 Founders edition if it will fit in my Asus G11CD-K Desktop, Sadly no fan filters, not even intake fan in this case, but so far stays pretty cool from what I can tell

Card 40C right now, with Secondlife open, Music videos playing from YouTube, and general browsing and such

A/c is on

CPU temp 49C , Intel I7 7700

Guess nothing to really work on, I might have to experiment when time and remove that bracket attached to video card, and attempt to get card out and at least clean it once maybe, or just wait til I get the newer card, and slide that one in.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I tend to leave the GPU alone and just clean the heatsinks.
    Is easier too.

20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    No carpets? Blasphemy! At least 1 carpet HAS to be on the wall. That's mandatory. Full stop. ;)