Chrome version 67 Add on Site Isolation as standard for protection against Spectre

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It will be interesting to see what kind of protections Edge and Firefox come up with, to mitigate Spectre and Meltdown. Though I think Chrome's latest protective measure will further reduce its overall efficiency vs Edge, which is easily the most efficient browser out there in terms of resource usage.

3. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    I smell performance/latency losses...

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I've been enabling Strict Site Isolation in Chrome for months using the chrome flags commands, and I didn't notice any difference in performance. I think the implementation is good, not a problem.

5. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    How to disable it?

6. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    chrome://flags/#enable-site-per-process

7. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Does it have much effect to performance? i don't care about memory just performace being on a Intel NUC.

I'm also new to Chrome. If I paste that into the address bar does it automatically disable it? When I do paste it shows disabled in the box. So i'm guessing it's off already.

Thanks for any help.

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    It's off for me too, the command just helps to find it quickly.
    I wonder if it stays off if a PC is already protected from Spectre?

Also found this (no idea if it's true)
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/328...-google-site-isolation-spectre-cpu-flaws.html

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I have customized the flags to my liking but is this(haven't read upon it yet) something completely different compared to Strict Site Isolation?

Btw this will be fun to test on Chrome with 250-300 tabs consuming 15-17GB of ram! :p

10. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    With this, do we still need the costly spectre microcode update?

11. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    It does affect performance in flash-based Games. Not by much but if you want fast loading etc.. - it makes a difference.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Edge? That pile of trash code? It can't even download 4GB+ files as it crashes moment this limit is reached.

lucidus likes this.
  13. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Flash in 2018? that is another pile of security bugs. You do not need to protect yourself if you want to use the flash runtime

14. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I would say that 'yes', you do need the Spectre microcode too. This strict site isolation is just another layer of protection when it comes to Spectre attacks. Whether or not anyone needs Spectre protection at all is another discussion point. Some people say it's an overblown threat, and some people run with Spectre protection disabled - in terms of not running the latest microcodes or by using InSpectre to disable Spectre protection.

15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Can someone explain me how spectre is triggered with a website like javascript + html ?

I understood it was something about virtualization processes leaking on the host.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I enabled it in the latest vivaldi (chrome 67) and there's a slight delay when I close a tab. No other obvious impact at least. I'll take the improved security.

17. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Is this serious?
    When you make blatantly false claims, attached to opinions like "trash code", it only undermines your opinion.
    The fact of the matter is that Edge can download files larger than 4GB with no problems.
    It's sad to continue to see posts like this, spreading false information.
    If you don't like Edge that's fine, and there are legit reasons to not like it - no need to make stuff up.
    Bandwagon Effect: A psychological theory where individuals will do something primarily because other individuals are doing it. It can also be referred to as herd mentality.

yasamoka and Carfax like this.
  18. gydj

gydj Guest

Now we have protection of all layers from CPU to mobo to OS to software....wonder how much performance cost these have added up to....did they downgrade my 8700k to 7600k?

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    MS had limitations in place long time ago. Because they did not learn how to code stream download.
    Edge caches entire download in memory and then puts it to drive. Go, download some large file and observe how it is eating memory. Even in clean release of 1803, moment Edge hits 4GB of ram, it crashes.
    I did replicate this issue on 2 separate systems with different OS builds. Why? Because I wanted to download different Windows ISO from microsoft's site.
    That's why you have reports like:
    Unable to upload a file larger than 1.2GB
    Memory leak in Edge and Internet Explorer 11

Timestamp 37:00 ~ 38:30
    And best part here is way MS integrates Edge into OS. Try to uninstall it. Or reinstall it.

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I've downloaded files that were well over 4GB with Edge, so your installation must be screwed up somehow. Also the download limit you're speaking of was from way back in the 32 bit era with Internet Explorer 6 and 7. The download limit was completely removed with IE8.

As for Edge, it's my preferred browser on desktop due to its speed, efficiency and security. On mobile I use Chrome.