Getting tired of all these Windows 10 updates.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jbscotchman, Jul 13, 2018.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    It's almost everyday that Windows wants me to restart for new improvements for some reason. In the last few months I've had several gaming sessions interrupted by Windows update, causing me to do a hard reset. The Witcher 3 witch has never crashed before, and I can't even play the Batman Arkham games anymore except for Knight. Last night I spent two hours doing an update to the latest version and it still wants to update on a daily basis. Ridiculous!

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    If he says his OS wants to update nearly everyday I think he has an issue with his OS... Such as updates not installing at first and its trying to re-dl/re-install over and over.

Mine rarely has any updates, except for windows defender definitions.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, everyday is abnormal unless you're on an older version of win10 and it's forcing you to upgrade to 1803 (though that's also undesirable).

Go to this site, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4099479 and check your version of windows against this (type winver in search) to see if you're up to date depending on your version (1803, 1709, etc.). If it isn't, clear out the softwaredistribution folder inside c:\windows and try WU again.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    lucidus likes this.
  7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Actually this offten is false. Had few situation when on 1703 my sons 10 there was update(one while gaming session) and WU service was set by me at install(1st at all os install) to manual...and fkin automatic out of blue 2 months later...this os is crap and it is dangerous....

CoMmAnDrX2 likes this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I only get updates 2 or 3 times month maybe and usual on patch tuesdays, as for "feature" updates I have that seting to wait like 180 days

I not ever gona like this every 6 months build update that is pretty much reinstall of windows, this upgrades almost never go right for me and such forces me to do clean installs, which untill windows 10 I only did maybe 1 once ever 2 years or if i got hit with some issue i could not fix, but I can say I have installed/reinstalled windows 10 and all it builds more times then I have done personal installs of windows 95/95/XP/7 and that is including new system builds (5+) and times something went horrible wrong

I stop counting around dozen install/reinstall mark of win 10

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I have auto download but install on my say so....which is usually when i shut down my system before going to work mid-day, sounds like op is allowing an update install then starting a game mid update which will restart the system.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    he probably does, my is set to notify before download and install, but i dont think that really work in "home", I also disable windows from installing video drivers again not sure how well that works on versions other then pro, enterprise , and ltsb

I know i tryied this notify before download and install on my surface which is running home and it didnt work it just automatically downloads stuff and installs it at some point, see WU is ignored on that less i actually checking it which barely do

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  12. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    The 1803 version in Win 10 installed just fine today. What a relief to view recent updates and not see a long list of failed attempts and need-to-restart-to-install entries going back to Dec 2017. It just has the 1803 installation listed. It almost looks strange so see such a short list. Maybe in two weeks the list will get clogged up again.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    A few weeks ago, a Windows 10 update rendered some computer useless, and the people affected by it were so confused: Well, we paid a licence, we are legal user and owners of the licence, we demand some answers.
    I just scowled and babbled something about Windows as a service, and all the nice things that Windows 10 does.
    TL;DR Windows 10 just doesn't care, they will push down your throat updates, and you need to swallow what they want.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Never had that. All updates occur without me noticing them. Only when i shut down or restart, I see the updates installing. You just have to adjust your update settings in the options.

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, it's impossible. Maximum updates frequency is once a week and those which require a restart is usually pushed once a month or so.

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  17. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    The point of latest OS either Linux, Windows or Android is the latest updates. Unplug the Internet, you are not eligible to use your system for that kind of interaction. Updating is the epitome of every-day's life. Cave is by far a less tiring place I suppose.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    You don't seem to understand, the issue is not having the newest update, the issue is not being able to control when to install the latest update.

19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    As I said, unplugging the Internet is the legit and wise solution. As a developer myself I respect that end-user should use any updates I release upon the time of public availability. Everything else is just blabbing. If the user is not a tester, should not complain. It's his problem.

20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Unplugging the internet is not a solution to the problem, if you have nothing helpful to share do not bother leaving a comment.